Questions about cars

Ok another car questions i was think about reliablity as this will be my only mode of transportation other than the busa so....what newer car has the geatest potential to really haul ass...10-low 11 sec 1/4s. And which has a strong block with good power to start off with....i was thinking mustang gt, or nissan 350z. Are there any others than make good power and would be fairly easy to mod and have 10 sec potential. As for teh block i planned on supercharging/turbo charging so i want it to be able to handle the power. Im getting a raise in Jan and i want to have the money already spent
smile.gif
. Oh yeah didnt want something that cost an arm and a leg either.
Ok, heres a combo for you,: 03 cobra:410 gears,small pulley, custom autologic chip,flow master cat-back system,aeromotive boosta pump,125 hit of N2o,and a set of the new MT drag radials, you'll be mid to low 10's maybe 10 flat or better if you can hit the gears! NJ.

a guy at the track the other night drove his evo to the track.

had a bigger turbo with innercooler and ran an 11.3
wow.gif

If you want reliable, easy power, get an older mustang or LT1 camaro/Firebird. No point messing around with turbo 4's or 6's. Yes you can make big hp with the imports, but to do so reliably costs a lot more. You can get more bang for your buck reliably from Ford or GM. Imports are fun, different way to make power, but I still believe that on a budget, you can't beat a V-8.

If you want reliable, easy power, get an older mustang or LT1 camaro/Firebird. No point messing around with turbo 4's or 6's. Yes you can make big hp with the imports, but to do so reliably costs a lot more. You can get more bang for your buck reliably from Ford or GM. Imports are fun, different way to make power, but I still believe that on a budget, you can't beat a V-8.
I concur, I had an 88 mustang 5.0 buddy had a 93 5.0 and a 98 Cobra. There are soo many aftermarket parts in the mustang community that it was inexpensive to mod them up for easy hp gains. Keep in mind too with turbos and superchargers, depending on the amount of boost you run you put a lot of strain on the engine and drivetrain. Eventually you'll may have to mod the drivetrain to handle the stress.

Yeah i do understand about modding the drive train...so is the 302 block pretty strong or will i have to get into the internals on it? Ive been a big stang fan for teh longest just nvr had the cash ok NJ hows this fox body 5.0 with the mods you stated? Will that work for the 10s?

And just to clear up your $$ estimate, my Buddy Eric sold his 95TT Supra last winter for $17k. It was lightly modded, down pipe, exhaust, BPU, !('s and TRD wing. It dyno'd on a notoriously stingy dyno at 352......
You can buy import performance at a reasonable price, but keep in mind that forced induction is hard on the internals, even if they are designed that way from the start.
If you would just learn how to ride that bike, you wouldn't need a fast car.........LOL

This is true, even the Impala SS, a big car, but with the right mod's will put to rest a Corvette and will do sub 10 second 1/4 times.
It's a great feeling to watch someone in a corvette drop there head in shame when a 5,800 pound 4 door pulls out and leaves them in the dust. I great sleeper, people have know idea you have 800hp available.

IF you want a good car and want it for descent gas mileage n strip use get a grand national or a turbo ta.  More money off the get go but 13-14 sec range out the box and then jus upgrade from there.
What do you know about the Turbo TA? I've had people tell me they are dogs compared to the V8's and others claim impressive numbers like mid 13's. Will they really do that stock? Is it the same 3.8 as used in the Grand National?

I remember checking them out many years ago down in Indy when it was the pace car. A local car lot has one that I've been drooling over for about a year. What really caught my eye is that it's white with gold wheels which would be an awesome match to my all time favorite bike, my CX500 Turbo. And hey they're both TURBO!!!
smile.gif

I may have to go and get a price on that car now. It's mint and I believe it only has around 20K miles. Considering how long it's been there I doubt it's going to be cheap.

btw, where about in Indiana are you?

Oh and to stay on topic my favorite sleeper would have to be the 1978 Chevy Monza turkey back that I had in highschool. Bland boring sub-compact sedan which was smaller than my friends Chevette. Under the hood lurked the rare optional 5.0 V8. Once tuned and hopped up that thing was an unbeatable beast that put everything to shame.
One and only thing I didn't like about that car was the need to pull the engine in order to replace the spark plugs...engine compartment was so small, plugs 1 and 3 were impossible to get to with the engine in place.

To think I only paid $250 for that car in great shape with 70K miles and drove it for over 7 years. I still kick myself for getting rid of her.

This is true, even the Impala SS, a big car, but with the right mod's will put to rest a Corvette and will do sub 10 second 1/4 times.
It's a great feeling to watch someone in a corvette drop there head in shame when a 5,800 pound 4 door pulls out and leaves them in the dust. I great sleeper, people have know idea you have 800hp available.
A 5800 lb car?? Are you talking about a Ryder truck or something??
You're waaaaay off there buddy. Impala's don't weigh anywhere near that much. Off the top of my head the new vettes weigh in around 3200 - 3300lbs, and the Impala is slightly heavier IF it is. Not to mention the new C6 Vette is easily put into the 11's with just a head porting job and some tuning....that's it. For an Impala to do sub 10sec 1/4 requires ALOT more then you think buddy. I don't care who told you what or what you think you read somewhere. Those 2 statements right there tell me you don't know much about draggin down the 1/4 mile. Sorry, but it's true.

First of all a 5,800 lb car??, which there isn't one that exists by the way, the closest I can think of is a 1957 Nomad Wagon or old boat like that. It still don't weigh over 5,000lbs.

So many people blowing stories out their rears without the real knowledge on hand.

Like Brown said, you want really incredible horsepower?? Grab a V-8, hell even a newer BBC (Big Block Chevy) with over 500hp is going to scare the crap out of 99% of these people who have never driven a car that fast before. If you're looking for an 800hp car whether it be turbo or supercharged, #1. It's not going to be very easily street driven, and #2. You better have a TON of cash to spend on
A) Building it (not only the engine)
B) Keeping it tuned (or risk detonation) = bye bye lotsa $$
C) Gas, cuz the more power it makes, the way more gas it needs. If you think 800hp comes with over 10mpg, you better think again.

A twin turbo V8 will eat ALL of those little cute imports up with their fart cannons, but it will cost you alot to build. I know, because I was pricing a motor out to build one for my '78 z28 I restored.

You want cheap easy HP , buy a Big Block, and throw a nice fogger nitrous setup on it. That's the cheapest way to do it. Depends on your application and what your final goal is for the car.

Getting a car fine tuned to handle big HP is not as easy as you think if you don't know dik about engines. It costs ALOT of money, and alot of maintenance and tuning is required non-stop. I'll lay odds that most of those ricer boys have blown more trans missions and drivelines by installing a bigger turbo. Just so you know torque is what gets a car moving off the line, not HP. it's also what kills a transmission if it's not built to handle that power. Driveshafts come up through the floorboards alot killing people because they forget to upgrade their yokes and u-joints also and when that power hits it shatters them sending them spinning like wild banshees through the floorboards.

That's why unless it's an AWD (like an EVO) they don't stand a chance off the line against a powerful V8...period. A rolling start is what they need.
Out of the box, I'd tell you grab a newer EVO or WRX sti if you want incredible out of the box. Even a stock Neon SRT-4 is puttin in the high 13's out of the box. That's impressive.

OR Grab a newer 4th gen TA or SS with an LS1 and 350hp....(yes GM underrated them) These were the same engines in Corvettes during those years. Slap a supercharger on them and you'll be pushin over 500Hp with a respectable amount of boost, and you'll kill 90% of the cute imports out there that think they are fast because they have fart cannons and watched fast and the furious twenty times.
Hell.....STOCK I'd say you'll kill more then half of them. Most these kids don't know WTF they're doing and they're killin those little hamster engines quickly. Sorry, I'm biased, I prefer American over Ricer anyday. I can't stand those shopping cart wings. Just my .02

For 1/4 mile racing, nothing will beat a V8 modified in the same way those little fart pipers do. The only advantage they have is if it was a street race going around city blocks (turning corners)

<!--EDIT|Aceshigh
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122436650 -->

I do remember looking at the 94-96 impala ss. They have vette engines but only make a measly 250-275 hp. As for the 800hp...i just need as much hp that it takes to get me into 10s low 11s and ill be fine. I know all about tq and drive shafts and rear ends and crap addin on thing means you have to add another like with modding bikes.

Im not looking to drive cross country just get from home to the track to work and and that. Are the new blocks weak? Will they handle 4-500 hp without modding the internals. I havent really thought about nos for power though. im still leaning towards the newer gts 05 case the last ones look real big to me. i think me and the ball and chain will go sit in some and maybe get a little test drive tomorrow.

As for having a bike already...i cant really ride it with 95+ deg weather. Leather makes me lightheaded but i can jump in my supercharged whatever and tear the road up in style and without losing 5 inches from around my guns

A 5800 lb car?? Are you talking about a Ryder truck or something??
You're waaaaay off there buddy. Impala's don't weigh anywhere near that much. Off the top of my head the new vettes weigh in around 3200 - 3300lbs, and the Impala is slightly heavier IF it is. Not to mention the new C6 Vette is easily put into the 11's with just a head porting job and some tuning....that's it. For an Impala to do sub 10sec 1/4 requires ALOT more then you think buddy. I don't care who told you what or what you think you read somewhere.  Those 2 statements right there tell me you don't know much about draggin down the 1/4 mile. Sorry, but it's true.

First of all a 5,800 lb car??, which there isn't one that exists by the way, the closest I can think of is a 1957 Nomad Wagon or old boat like that. It still don't weigh over 5,000lbs.

So many people blowing stories out their rears without the real knowledge on hand.

Like Brown said, you want really incredible horsepower?? Grab a V-8, hell even a newer BBC (Big Block Chevy) with over 500hp is going to scare the crap out of 99% of these people who have never driven a car that fast before. If you're looking for an 800hp car whether it be turbo or supercharged, #1. It's not going to be very easily street driven, and #2. You better have a TON of cash to spend on
A) Building it (not only the engine)
B) Keeping it tuned (or risk detonation) = bye bye lotsa $$
C) Gas, cuz the more power it makes, the way more gas it needs. If you think 800hp comes with over 10mpg, you better think again.

A twin turbo V8 will eat ALL of those little cute imports up with their fart cannons, but it will cost you alot to build. I know, because I was pricing a motor out to build one for my '78 z28 I restored.

You want cheap easy HP , buy a Big Block, and throw a nice fogger nitrous setup on it. That's the cheapest way to do it. Depends on your application and what your final goal is for the car.

Getting a car fine tuned to handle big HP is not as easy as you think if you don't know dik about engines. It costs ALOT of money, and alot of maintenance and tuning is required non-stop. I'll lay odds that most of those ricer boys have blown more trans missions and drivelines by installing a bigger turbo. Just so you know torque is what gets a car moving off the line, not HP. it's also what kills a transmission if it's not built to handle that power. Driveshafts come up through the floorboards alot killing people because they forget to upgrade their yokes and u-joints also and when that power hits it shatters them sending them spinning like wild banshees through the floorboards.

That's why unless it's an AWD (like an EVO) they don't stand a chance off the line against a powerful V8...period. A rolling start is what they need.  
Out of the box, I'd tell you grab a newer EVO or WRX sti if you want incredible out of the box. Even a stock Neon SRT-4 is puttin in the high 13's out of the box. That's impressive.

OR Grab a newer 4th gen TA or SS with an LS1 and 350hp....(yes GM underrated them) These were the same engines in Corvettes during those years. Slap a supercharger on them and you'll be pushin over 500Hp with a respectable amount of boost, and you'll kill 90% of the cute imports out there that think they are fast because they have fart cannons and watched fast and the furious twenty times.
Hell.....STOCK I'd say you'll kill more then half of them. Most these kids don't know WTF they're doing and they're killin those little hamster engines quickly. Sorry, I'm biased, I prefer American over Ricer anyday. I can't stand those shopping cart wings.  Just my .02

For 1/4 mile racing, nothing will beat a V8 modified in the same way those little fart pipers do. The only advantage they have is if it was a street race going around city blocks (turning corners)
I do not write stories first off and I'm not ever going to spend the time to go into details, about how to make a car do sub 10 1/4. Yes you are correct it does not weight 5,800 pounds just through something out off the hip at the time since it really does make much of a difference for the question asked. If you want a exact weight well its 4,200 stock, but it's by no means stock at all, lots of carbon and engine work now, but for the most part still street legal.
Knowing what needs to get done for a Impala to do 10’s well let just say it has been countless nights and days wasted under that thing. I also did not at anytime say it would be cheap yes you better have cash ready, better be ready to do the work yourself or pay through the noise to have it sit on someone else lift to do the custom work. Then you will need to find a good engine shop, LA and Vegas have a couple great ones. Not cheap again. We will not even go into tuning, that bill is endless, make one change and back it goes, the more hp the finickier it gets. Now it just sits in the shop collecting dust. Good thing is have a nice set of turbo’s and a aluminum head to sell on ebay someday.

I never said the corvette was stock or not stock sine I was not in it, but for sure if you have $50k to buy a vette and want to dump another $10k or more you can get a C6 to run sub 10's, but I know for a fact I can spend $30k less and get an Impala to do it.
Far as dragging I do not spend time doing that or have any interest in that if you would like to know what is really in the Impala SS 95 to go sub 10's and push 800hp plus would be glade to share them at sometime. I like to keep post short, I try not to slam people and never give advice which is someone else story or tail. The guy just wanted to know what else he could get, and yes you can get for little money a 94 to 96 Impala SS and fix it up for little cash. More HP for the $$. I do not think he wanted to go get a new Corvette.

So many people on this form wanting to jump in and slam others without knowing anything about them, very interesting.

<!--EDIT|manatrader
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122448144 -->

I do remember looking at the 94-96 impala ss. They have vette engines but only make a measly 250-275 hp. As for the 800hp...i just need as much hp that it takes to get me into 10s low 11s and ill be fine. I know all about tq and drive shafts and rear ends and crap addin on thing means you have to add another like with modding bikes.
Nah, I was talking about the ones equipped with the LS1's , not the LT1's, that's why I said NEWER 4th gens. From 98-02. The LS1's are very incredible engines and the aftermarket for them is booming. The LS2 is a great engine too...but it's computer throttle controlled now...not a spring. So when you mash the pedal, the computer tells it how much to give you. I for one think that's too much CPU involvment.

You get the gist of it. Brother has an LT1 in his 94 Z28, not bad, but nothing spectacular....only 275hp.

By the way Manatrader, I wasn't trying to slam you, just trying to correct you because of the advice you were blowing up into this big spectacle and it wasn't even close to factual. Not ripping on you personally, just what you said. You obviously realized what you posted was waaaay out there. It's cool, we all make mistakes.

I wasn't sayin he should buy a vette either, I was correcting your example by giving you a fact. Also, the new Impala's weigh almost the same as a Vette, 3300lb's. Only 100+lbs heavier.....but you didn't state what year, so I was going with the newest. The older Impala's had LT1's....and it wasn't the greatest to build on. That's why it was dumped by GM after it's short life.

<!--EDIT|Aceshigh
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122507051 -->

I do remember looking at the 94-96 impala ss.  They have vette engines but only make a measly 250-275 hp.  As for the 800hp...i just need as much hp that it takes to get me into 10s low 11s and ill be fine.  I know all about tq and drive shafts and rear ends and crap addin on thing means you have to add another like with modding bikes.
Nah, I was talking about the ones equipped with the LS1's , not the LT1's, that's why I said NEWER 4th gens. From 98-02. The LS1's are very incredible engines and the aftermarket for them is booming. The LS2 is a great engine too...but it's computer throttle controlled now...not a spring. So when you mash the pedal, the computer tells it how much to give you. I for one think that's too much CPU involvment.

You get the gist of it. Brother has an LT1 in his 94 Z28, not bad, but nothing spectacular....only 275hp.

By the way Manatrader, I wasn't trying to slam you, just trying to correct you because of the advice you were blowing up into this big spectacle and it wasn't even close to factual. Not ripping on you personally, just what you said. You obviously realized what you posted was waaaay out there. It's cool, we all make mistakes.

I wasn't sayin he should buy a vette either, I was correcting your example by giving you a fact. Also, the new Impala's weigh almost the same as a Vette, 3300lb's. Only 100+lbs heavier.....but you didn't state what year, so I was going with the newest. The older Impala's had LT1's....and it wasn't the greatest to build on. That's why it was dumped by GM after it's short life.
Everything is cool.

Yes they are no fun to work on and things are a tight fit.

Back