Question

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
Last night I rode to work and about 2 hours before quitting time, it began to rain pretty hard. Luckily, by the time I got off the rain had stopped. I rode home with no problem but now I'm wondering. Does any harm come to a bike which has been sitting in a downpour of rain for 2 hours or so?

Last night I rode to work and about 2 hours before quitting time, it began to rain pretty hard. Luckily, by the time I got off the rain had stopped. I rode home with no problem but now I'm wondering. Does any harm come to a bike which has been sitting in a downpour of rain for 2 hours or so? [/QUOTE]

No, unless you have a severe smog problem in your area (acid rain).
tounge.gif

Not really. Except for getting the bike all nasty!! I wouldnt make it a habit or anything though. You cant tell what will happen as the bike gets older. You may get water drainage somewhere that may cause problems or something.

Not a problem ..I ride in the rain all the time , when I get home I hose the bike down and put the cover on ..Once you polish it regularly it will stop the water penetrating and ruining the finish. But the main thing is DONT PANIC ..
tounge.gif

I've been caught in the rain hours from home more than a few times...Busa looks fine...just clean her up and ride again...
smile.gif

Okay. Now I feel better. I was a bit nervous because on so many bike ads I see, that fact that "the bike has never seen rain" almost always seems to pop up.

Oh well, I'll be back on 2 wheels on my way to work again tonight  
biggrin.gif

Okay. Now I feel better. I was a bit nervous because on so many bike ads I see, that fact that "the bike has never seen rain" almost always seems to pop up.

Oh well, I'll be back on 2 wheels on my way to work again tonight
biggrin.gif
yeah if a bike has never seen rain the people didnt ride it or are lying. mine is a month old and i got cought in the rain already.

No problem...Unless you have a big air filter hanging out the side...

riding in the rain.. shortly after a snow storm (few days after or whatever) when they put the chemicals, and salt down can cause problems..

(freak snow storm early in april.. pretty weather a few days later.. that ended in a soggy ride home)

That happened to me.. whatever junk they used to melt the ice/snow mixed with the rain and of course got into everything while I was riding.

Locked every bolt in the front end to the point I stripped one of the bolts that holds the front fender on completely out trying to remove it. The others were a PITA also.. had to use a 12 inch breaker bar attached to the allen wrench to break them loose.. no joking.

I was really worried about the front axle nut stripping also.. It took a impact gun to get it broke loose... No kidding,, every bolt on the front was like it had super glue/loctite on it.

I took a dremel to the fairing bolt that stripped (the lowest one that screws into the little aluminum bracket coming off the fork boot) and cut a notch in it so I could use a flat headed screw driver to break it loose.. no luck.. I broke two dewalt bits that go into a cordless drill.. then got a solid screw driver,, damned if it didn't break the damn bracket. It's still on there.. I'm going to have to drill it, and either repair the bracket,or replace the fork boot. Bummer..

Wish I'd hosed the bike down that day for sure. I'm sure there are other bolts that it's affected also.. I just haven't found them yet.

Every bolt I take out now gets a good dose of silicone rust inhibitor stuff on it, and in the hole it goes to to prevent this happening again. (I hope)

just good old normal rain ain't no big deal though... just gets your girl dirty... wonder if the chic in yer avatar gets dirty?? hehe I could definatly take her for a ride in the rain.

Salt + motorcycle = BAD -- thats one reason I gave up riding in the winter the other reason is: Cold tires + ice = lowside

(only going ~40 and I was more pissed A) I couldn't ride to work and B) have to replace $1K plastic)

I have left Elenor in the rain a million times... no problems at all!! Motorcycles are designed to run even when it rains bro
biggrin.gif

Back