Question re: Hard to Start

Rayzilla

Registered
HI all! This is an incredible site. I recently purchased a 2007 Busa powered mini rail and the thing starts right up when it's cold, but after I've been out riding for a couple or hours, it doesn't want to start. It will like crank half a turn and then nothing. I keep turning the key and get nothing but a weak response from the starter. I replaced the battery right off, but the same thing keeps happening. Fine when it's cold, but weak warm. I get it home a couple of hours later and bang, it fires right up like there's nothing wrong. Wonderin' if it might be a starter issue or wiring. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Ray

Wow I have an 07 never had this problem, she doesn't like the cold but when warm no problems.
I am sure someone will chime in soon with your answer, these guys know everything Busa you can think of

Thanks! I read that thread "starting hard to start" and it seems like it could be a binding/mechanical issue. Although, he said the idler gear fixed it, but then it wasn't fixed after the dealer did the work on it. I was confused at the end... I did replace the battery with a larger one since I have the room, but that didn't change anything. I'm gonna keep searching threads, 'cause it sounds like several have experienced this same exact phenomenom.

Thanks again and keep the good info coming. I will definitely post when I have the solution.

-Ray

Attempting pic

2010-2-11 Sand Bullet 001.jpg

Ok, if it's really a 2007 motor then it has the starter system fixes. But if not, then you might even damage the case, so double check the history on the engine. Suggest you post your engine S/N here and someone will know how to look it up for you (or find out where it was stolen from! LOL :rofl:)

Bigger battery is good. Make sure it's up to snuff (well charged).

Given your symptoms, I would clean all the ends of the high-power cables and the mounting points (terminals). Do both. Right now, I'm suspecting corrosion on the ground cable. If the ground is going to the chassis, figure out a way to connect it directly to the engine.

This isn't Busa-specific advice, but I have seen this problem on many vehicles over the years. Corrosion on the ground cable is common. Doubly so if you are operating this thing near the ocean or other high-humidity area. Use the grease specifically formulated for electrical cables after you clean and reassemble.

Wow that looks like fun I have a 07 gsxr1000 engine I dream of doing this with, but don't know where to get the frame. Not really looking to hard cuz it sounds like a money pit.

OK, so today I decide to check and clean all the connections and I find that the main wire from the relay to the starter is way close to the header and about 3" of the protective casing, not the actual wire sheath, is melted off. Hmmm, wonder if that wire was getting way hot and causing some severe impedence??? So, I rerouted the cable and cleaned all the connections and now have to wait a week and a half before I can take it out. I don't have any street or dirt tires for it yet. Can't just run it to work and back like most of you folks. Anyway, hope this fixes it. And I'll post a few more pics of the Busa end of the machine some of you might appreciate.

2010-3-1 Busa Sand Bullet 002.jpg

2010-3-1 Busa Sand Bullet 003.jpg

2010-3-1 Busa Sand Bullet 004.jpg

2010-3-1 Busa Sand Bullet 006.jpg

2010-3-1 Busa Sand Bullet 009.jpg

Back