Question on the Design of the 08inc Bazooka Cans

pulk

Registered
For those who have replaced the bazookas, have you noticed the bike being any less stable / smooth? Usually, people's instant reaction is that there is some huge HP gain (when really it isn't), or it "feels faster" etc., possibly to the point the rider doesn't notice an actual decrease in some previous advantageous characteristic of performance. I am wondering if the gigantic surface area and angle of the cans provides enough down-force traveling at moderate / high speed to realize a significant increase in stability. Obviously, there should be some handling advantage since the weight drops up to (25?) lbs. going with after-market cans or full. I am looking for a truly objective/non-biased opinion on this
ThumbsUp.gif

since the cans aren't in contact with the free moving air (ie undisturbed air flow path) I don't think they would help with any downforce advantage. Tossing the cans may or may not have an effect in the overall drag reduction.

weight.... The down force would probably not be measurable (the wing on the back of the old muscle cars only exerted about 15lbs at 60 mph)

On the flip side, a champ car generates 3500lbs at speed (enough to drive on the ceiling of a tunnel without falling off, just saw that on Modern Marvels, pretty cool)

For those who have replaced the bazookas, have you noticed the bike being any less stable / smooth?
No. At least, I haven't noticed any change in stability at speeds well over the Ton.

In theory, from a mathematical perspective, the bike should be slightly faster in most situations simply because you are carrying 37 lbs less (in the case of the Yosh 4-2-1 full system, for example) than before. Perhaps this is what the bench racers are trying to refer to....
dunno.gif

Me, I wasn't really looking for massive power gains, etc, when I went after a replacement system. For my street-riding needs, it's not like the K8 is struggling for torque or horsepower.

My #1 motivation was to unload the massive weight associated by the bazooka mufflers, cat, and mondo-steel headers.

My #2 motivation was, admittedly, aesthetic... however "green", Euro-3 spec, etc the OEM system was, they looked hideous. Obviously, that is subjective.

2cents.gif

The cans waste alot of the designers time, they know as soon as guys get the bike, its the 1st mod guys do replacing the stock cans, cant see them wasting a lot of time designing kick ass cans when the majority toss them away?
lurk.gif

they do effect the overall package with flow to get the dyno #'s so they have to work with the motor package.

Cool, thanks for the all the info. I had it in my head that the down-force applied to those cans was significant when really it isn't. I don't really like the way the stock cans look anyways (but they aren't absolutely horrible imo) so I was probably going to replace them anyways. I just like to kinda get a good idea of what I'm doing and what the real impacts will be as a result. As for exhaust, so far I like the sound of the TI slip-ons[Thanks, full]. But it is kinda hard to gauge the loudness of them by listening to clips on-line. I don't want something terribly loud. Anyways, guess I'll dig around and chime in on threads when I get to the point where I want to do something about the bazookas.

Incase it helps you. I too have had my 08 up to sonme relatively high spead runs (160+ indicated) and the bike feels fantastic.

If it helps you make a decision, I dropped 30+ lbs, went from @168hp to @187hp. The bike has not been tuned yet. I'm waiting for the aircleaner before having it tuned. (Take dyno numbers with a grain of salt).

The bike pulls and responds better and looks and sounds better as well. I went with TiForce 4-2-1-2 380mm.

I'd say picked the system you like and enjoy. Or leave it stock and enjoy...

I hit $1.70+ (indicated) this past weekend with the 2bros CF 'strap-ons'.

Nothing but solid muscle.

Ground-hugging, heart-pounding, adrenaline-pumping, smooth, unwavering, stable, unflinching speed.

The only thing the bike wanted was...MORE THROTTLE!

Unfortunately for me...I ran out of good road (ahem, private property) for that type of activity...

Pulk, just another food for thought: X amount of reduced =  Increase in amount of Y HP gains. Also, not too many racers have dual exhaust was part of my thinking when going single side exhaust. I must say though, I was initially going for the 4-2-2 system. But it was not available when i purchased the 08. Being impatient, i went 4-2-1. I definatly love my system!!!
I definatly went with weight reduction=more HP idea. I mean, a full system IMO makes sense since the bike needs to exhale, so what not have it exhale fully? I mean looking at the stock headers versus an aftermarket, stock looks definatly slimmer pipe of pipe.

But yeah like you said, the cans dont add or lessen the Drag Coef of the bike nor add downforce for stability. But no mstter which way you go, I am sure all will agree the Busa no matter what ya add or dont add to it, its still a damn sweet ride!!!

With that being said, enjoy the 08...cause as you can tell from those who own/getting this 08  tweak it to how you see fit and feel!!

and forgot to add: I definately didnt like the look of the BFG's on the bike, so those needed to be replaced LOL

and post PICS!!!! lol

Pulk, just another food for thought: X amount of reduced = Increase in amount of Y HP gains.
According to intardweb urban legend, losing 7lbs of weight off the bike is roughly equivalent to gaining 1 hp.

If this alleged theory is anywhere close to reality, with the Yosh 4-2-1 system, you are "gaining" a little under 5.3 hp just from installing the system.

In theory.
whistling.gif

Back