question on jinxster's suspension setup

thelakeshow2k

Registered
after reading jinxster's post am i correct in saying my bike's laden sag (compressed travel of bike + my weight) should be 3.449 inches?

i have an 05 and i weigh 165 lbs. after adjusting the compressors (2 lines showing) i get 3.449 inches. another thing is that when i'm off the bike and i'm balancing it straight up, it's only 2/16 inches higher. does that sound right too?

btw, regarding the front rebound damping screw... i turned it all the way counterclockwise and then adjusted it 2 clicks clockwise.

i'm not familiar with the hayabusa or suspension settings so for a 165 pounder, do you think this is the most favorable set up for street riding? thanks!

i dont know the numbers but jinksters set up for my 225lb azz was purrrfecT !!!!

if someone can confirm... i think jinxster is saying that we all should get a latent sag measurement of 3.449" regardless of our weight. my front end is dialed in at 2 lines to get that.

Laden Sag is based on suspension geometry. It doesn't change based on weight. What you need to do to get the correct laden sag will vary based on weight. At 165#, the factory setup should be perfect for you.

Last edited:
What kind of riding do you prefer? Straight? Twisties? Casual cruzing? Commute? Track? It all depends.....
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm 165 lb most of times and found gen 1 stock front spring way too soft. Changed to .95 rated, and it's a new bike, I tell ya!
Posted via Mobile Device

after reading jinxster's post am i correct in saying my bike's laden sag (compressed travel of bike + my weight) should be 3.449 inches?

i have an 05 and i weigh 165 lbs. after adjusting the compressors (2 lines showing) i get 3.449 inches. another thing is that when i'm off the bike and i'm balancing it straight up, it's only 2/16 inches higher. does that sound right too?

btw, regarding the front rebound damping screw... i turned it all the way counterclockwise and then adjusted it 2 clicks clockwise.

i'm not familiar with the hayabusa or suspension settings so for a 165 pounder, do you think this is the most favorable set up for street riding? thanks!
IMHO, no.

Mine is setup for 30MM of sag from unladen to me sitting on it, that's right at 2" of sag.

And you have nearly zero rebound.

Set it back to stock, set your preload for 30MM of sag with your weight including gear. If you had to tighten the springs go one click tighter on the rebound for every line you tightened the adjusters, and go one click looser on the compression for every line. If you loosened the springs, go one click looser on the rebound for every line and one click tighter on the compression for every line.

Once you have the preload correct you need to match the damping to the spring in it's current state. Tighter it's going to compress slower and rebound faster, so you speed up the compression damping and slow down the rebound to match. The idea is by speeding up the compression the proper amount of pressure is kept on the tire instead of too much if the spring can't compress, and you keep the tire on the ground by not letting the spring unload too fast which can pogo the tire off the ground. Just reverse that if you had to loosen up on the spring.

It's all about tire speed, not forward but up and down. Once you change the damping to match your spring preload ride it and adjust for feel. Lunging down with ease? Tighten the compression a click or two. Front end pops up as soon as you apply power? Tighten the rebound a click or two. Feels too rough as you enter a corner? Open the compression a bit. After awhile it becomes easy to remember.

Back