Question from a Newbie

G's99Busa

Registered
Guys, I bought a used '99 Hayabusa last night, mainly because it looked brand new, a credit to the gentleman who sold it to me. The bike has a little over 50k miles on it, it has a PC3 and Yoshimura exhaust
banghead.gif
. I rode it today on a 13 mile trip and was in traffic for a bit and the temp was at about half on the gauge when I was finally able to get to the highway. I rolled on the throttle in 2nd gear when around 5500 rpm it started jerking like it was out of fuel or the clutch was slipping or something. I think it was more of an electrical cut out. Any ideas any of you guys can send my was will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to the oRg. We are going to need a little more information. I believe your year may have had 2nd gear issues, but dont freak out yet. Does it only do it in 2nd gear? What about other rmps? What does the previous owner say about it? What about the maintenance items? Plugs, tb snyc? Has it been sitting for a while? Could be a very minor item. Pics please!
beerchug.gif

Welcome! Exactly what he said we need more info in order to help.

yup a couple things it could be. cant assume it hasnt happened before cause you just bought it. First see if you can duplicate the symptom paying attention to rpm's, gear, speed when it happens.

How much throttle were you giving it? barely, quarter, half, 3/4, or full throttle. I would bet you were barely on it.

With the year I would get the fuel filter changed, fuel pump cleaned and injectors prof. cleaned. Change plugs just so you know they are new.

The map on the pc might not be right either.

The first thing you want to do with your new ride is get ALL routine maint. done so you know its right and when it was done.

There is alot more advice for us to give you when you can give us a little more info.
thumb_up.gif

welcome.gif
to the org.

Nice name
laugh.gif

Thank you all for your replies. I'm not only new to the Busa, I'm fairly new to motorcycles. I've ridden on an off over the last few years but haven't owned my own bike since the early 90's. I will get some pics up as soon as I can. I suspect the map isn't right as the bike seems to be running rich. The previous owner kept meticulous maintenance records. The clutch was replaced at 41k and the plugs at 48k. The previous owner says he's never experienced anything like it. It did it again today on the way home from work. I was probably at a quarter to half throttle in second gear at around 5500rpm. I will pay more attention to what the bikes doing when it happens. It's like a hesitation or cutout of some sort. It seems to only do it in second so far but only when its hot. Thanks again for all of your help.

If its mechanical like the second gear problem you should be able to feel that. The next time you put it in second keep/hold the shift lever up & take it up to the problem rpm. If you can feel the shift lever bouncing around its in the trans.

To check the map pull the plugs & check the color on the insulator for the center electrode. If they are dark the map is probably rich.

If they are grey/white its lean. Try manually adjusting the mid range on the PC3 up a couple of bars & see if the problem changes rpm or is lessened.

Aslo suggest running some fuel injection cleaner through the system. I like Sea Foam. As suggested the fuel filter may need service.

Back