Question for you wheelie kings!

MoNoXiDe

Registered
I have always done my wheelies getting up to around 6k back off and throttle it. I have always been sketchy on clutching up. Is clutching up bad for the clutch and bike? I mean I know the bikes aren't made to do wheelies all the time, I just wonder about the damage to the bike.

Anytime you use the clutch like that it's hard on the bike.
If you slip the clutch, most of the abuse will be to the plates, friction and steel.
If you pop the clutch, it is alot more stress on the drive train, and at minimum the plates start chewing up the sides of the clutch basket.
Throttling up a wheelie like you said works just fine, not say it isn't hard on the sprockets and chain, output shaft, ect.
When you throttle the wheelie up, nail it, open it up fast. Stand up into the bike as the front raises, you and the bike kinda meet in the middle. Now, instead of just riding the power until you run out of rpm's, and drop the front, do this; as the front is quickly lifting, slowly and easily roll back out of the throttle some.
So that when the bike gets to 10 or 11 o'clock you have some rpm's left to play with. This also slows down how fast the front is coming up.
Instead of just wide open all the way, it's wide open to get the lifting momentum you need. Then closing the throttle some so you can "catch" the bike where you want it, it not loop you, and you still have rpm's to control it.
Since your not on the rev limiter, and assuming you and the bike are now balanced, you can ride there for as long as you like. A mile or more is no problem in 1st or 2nd.:thumbsup:

You really don't need to trick the Busa into a wheelie period. 4K up just peg the throttle and that front wheel gets light.

Ive been riding my whole life and have always been nervous about wheelies. I dont think Ive had the front tire off the ground on any street bike for more than 5 feet. It looks easy when you watch videos of people doing it but I always assumed that they have dumped one at least once learning. Have any of you guys dumped one?

Ive been riding my whole life and have always been nervous about wheelies. I dont think Ive had the front tire off the ground on any street bike for more than 5 feet. It looks easy when you watch videos of people doing it but I always assumed that they have dumped one at least once learning. Have any of you guys dumped one?

Im kind of the same way.. I have and can lift it. I just dont want something to go wrong and see my baby tumble down the road.. Ive been thinking about buying a beater bike like a Kawi cuz there crap and pound on that.. and im not out much if I wreck it

oh yea, plenty of people have wiped out doing wheelies on their $13,000+ bikes.
i have an F4i just for playing with....now if i could just stop doing them on the Busa too. :whistle:

I crashed many a dirtbike and looped alot of wheelies on them.
(Just to clarify, *Riding* a wheelie is a long, balanced, controlled wheelie that goes as far as you want it to. A power wheelie is a wheelie that drops once you run out of throttle.)
In 15+ years of street riding(at least legally:laugh:), so far I've never crashed one, thank GOD. I've had several close calls and a couple good 1 o'clock wheelies that I was sure were going over, but thankfully didn't.
I started learning wheelies on bicycles as young as I can remember, dirtbikes at 12, and streetbikes around 18.
At 35, and having ridden countless sportbikes, dualsports, cruisers, and Harleys, and I've yet to find one that won't wheelie. The Busa happens to wheelie and balance very easily, but it's hype and weight seem to intimidate people.
If you want to learn wheelies and ride a Busa, then learn on the Busa.
If wheelies themselves or crashing your bike bothers you, then don't do it.
Fear or lack of focus will hurt you in a hurry.:beerchug:

Clutching it? :dunno: Rolling the throttle on in 1-3 gears will lift her front end up in the air....... Just noticed you own the black model, trade her in for a white model they wheelie much easier.:rulez:

Last edited by a moderator:
Im kind of the same way.. I have and can lift it. I just dont want something to go wrong and see my baby tumble down the road.. Ive been thinking about buying a beater bike like a Kawi cuz there crap and pound on that.. and im not out much if I wreck it

Kawasaki makes strong bikes, it might pound you:poke::laugh:

Back