Question for you smart guys?

jessup

Just because the dog eats it doesnt mean
Donating Member
Registered
I found this on Fark.com and was wondering if anyone has any input and/or knowledge about acetone increasing your/our gas mileage and what exactly would happen if it was added to the busa or whip?
Don't know how to make it linky...

http://www.lubedev.com/smartgas/faq.htm

I was looking forward to ridin' with ya.. Hold of on addin' it to the Bus'

biggrin.gif

Wiseguys... Hey Grab... I have tomorrow off... I will call you in the am.

I am not sure of the chemical composition of acetone but will say that it may have a higher and more favorable concentration of HydroCarbons. HydroCarbons are the chemical compounds that react with oxygen to run our internal combustion engines. The byproduct of Hydrogen and Oxygen combustion is pure water. Carbon is also an energy source, is naturally found in petroleum and is not easily distilled out of gasoline. The energy released in the expanding gases from that explosion is what makes our pistons move downward leading to reciprocating motion and inevitably propulsion through our chains and wheels.
Gasoline is a fuel that is relatively easily distilled from crude petroleum and has become the fuel of choice for automotive engines. Automotive engines and their engine management systems are designed and optimized to operate effectively using gasoline's chemical makeup. When you add acetone to your fuel tank in small quantities it dilutes raising the octane rating and power potential of the fuel leading to higher gas mileage. This is because if your fuel has the potential to produce more power you will not have to push as hard on the pedal to achieve the speed you want. If you are pushing less on the gas pedal (throttle) your engine will not draw in so much air to maintain a given rpm. If your engine needs less air and fuel (because of more power) you get better gas mileage.
However more power production leads to more heat and deterioration of internal engine components. Thus the saying "That stuff will melt you pistons". It is true that adding any extra energy source without the commeasurate amount of oxygen and or oxygen without the commeasurate amount of fuel leads to higher temperatures and melted pistons. This is easy to illustrate in Nitrous Oxide injected engines that have insufficient fuel delivery such as a bad fuel solenoid. When that doesn't kick in enough fuel you end up with melted or broken pistons and rings.

<!--EDIT|Projekt
Reason for Edit: "additional info"|1126330407 -->

Back