Question for you guys

kc5deb

Registered
Ok, I currently do not own a Busa. When I got my motorcycle license, I really started listening to what others said. The hayabusa was always viewed negativly by the people I talked to about motorcycles, and I began to feel the same way they did about them.

I was at a motorcycle shop recently, and was still feeling about the busa like I felt about hemroids. But, I noticed they had a used one. I couldn't resist; I had to sit on it to enforce my "yeah, I've sat on that crotchrocket, and it's just as ignorant as everyone says" feelings.

I can't say exactly what happened as I sat on that bike, but, it was like the souls of every hayabusa out there slapped me in the face and said "HEY, idiot, draw your OWN conclusions AFTER seeing and sitting on one".

I have NEVER sat on a bike that felt so "right" to the way I like to ride. I instantly fell in love with the way the curves fit my body, and the way the bike felt. I'm currently riding an older bulky and heavy Kawasaki 650, and I was so amazed at how little difference in weight the bike had. I actually said out loud "Hey, I think I really like this thing!"

Here's where my question to you guys comes in. I've ridden motorcycles for about 5 months now. I'm 30 years old, and have NO desire to ride 100+mph, ride a wheelie, pull some stoppies to impress the hotties, etc, etc, etc. I love to ride on long stretches of roads and let my days crap from work fly off of me in the wind. I like leaning into curves, and riding a comfortable bike for long distances of highway and time; not hang onto a harley and see where the damned thing takes me.

My question is, how hard are the busa's for a casual rider like myself to ride? Are they too much bike, or can you ride them as tame as you wanna? I ride 2-3 times a week for 1-3 hours at a time, and I don't want a bike that as soon as I let off the clutch, the back tire instantly burns out from underneath me. I want a bike that's heavy for long distances and can stand up to wind (I live in west Texas, so, we got tons of that). I've heard they have the tame characteristics of a sport-tour, and I've also heard they're nothing more than wheelie monsters. I figure I'd rather get the info from guys like yall who actually ride them.

So, is the busa a bike for the kind of riding I like to do? My choices for next year's purchase are either a VFR800 or a Busa, and just need some help deciding.

That bike will ONLY do what you tell it to do. If you can control your right wrist and take a MSF course, there is no reason not to buy one.

I am not saying that is right for everyone. I wouldn't want a 19 year old on one as a first bike no matter how "mature" they are.

JMHO

Don

The Busa is right for about any type of riding, though there are some mods to be made for some. If you want something that looks cool during all phases of riding this is the one. It can go fast when you want it to or putt around like a moped (not exactly sure why you would do that, but . . .). If you watch the threads around here or other places people talk about all kinds of uses for their Busa (sport-touring, daily driving, hitting the twisties, and drag racing). The word of caution is get as much experience as you can on your Kaw 650 before stepping up. And welcome to the board.

the busa is a great bike has the power to get as crazy as you want and then some but when my daughter is on the back its just a mild manner cruzer never even know it has all them ponys under the tank so basicly its as fast as you want it to be or slow wich ever the case
super.gif

I think you will love the busa based on your type of riding. It's really two bikes in one: mild mannered sport tourer below 6k rpm, and permagrin producing beast with throttle pinned at 9k rpm and up.  
beerchug.gif

Oh, and welcome.

So far, thanks for the comments! BTW, I took a MSF course before I ever even test rode my Kawi. I took it to squash my fear of motorcycles, and to put to rest my long life personal question of "should I buy a motorcycle". After the first day of the course, I definatly knew the answer was "HELL YEAH".

Keep the comments coming, please!

Welcome to the Board.

The BUSA will be good for your soul.

You WILL desire to ride 100+ after riding the BUSA because it just begs for more.

As stated above, it will do what you tell it to do when you use the throttle. So, just take it easy and get to know her slowly.

Biggest problem is going to be NOT getting seduced by the power
100 mph+ on this bike feels like nothing
If you disrespect it -- it will bite -- and hard
Does anyone need this much power -- no
Do you want it -- hell yeah

Lamb commutes everyday> no wheelies> no 100 mile per hour runs> just commuting like on a 650.  It is more than a pleasure.  On weekends the wick gets turned up a bit, but everyday on the freeway and the few side streets Lamb is on it is gentle as a kitten.  That is why it is the best bike ever built.  The bike that does it all!!!
kickass.gif

This is my first bike, bought it brnad new on sept 16 last year. I now how 22300 miles on her. Commute to work whenever its not raining, dragracing at the track on Thursdays, and cruising on Sundays. She truly is a jack of all trades!! Buy it!!! You won't regret it.

(xzvs @ Sep. 10 2006,21:59) Biggest problem is going to be NOT getting seduced by the power
100 mph+ on this bike feels like nothing
If you disrespect it -- it will bite -- and hard
Does anyone need this much power -- no
Do you want it -- hell yeah
+1

The VFR has about the same weight, ergos etc. Nice bike but there is no comparison to the power of the Busa.

You have to look at yourself. If you take chances you are going to on the VFR or the Busa. Both will get you in trouble but the Busa will much faster.

Which ever you chose, sign up for another MSF class (ERC) on the bike. It will make you a lot more comfortable on it.

Good luck and I’ll glad you put a few miles on another bike before stepping up.

(kc5deb @ Sep. 10 2006,16:17) I can't say exactly what happened as I sat on that bike, but, it was like the souls of every hayabusa out there slapped me in the face and said "HEY, idiot, draw your OWN conclusions AFTER seeing and sitting on one".

I have NEVER sat on a bike that felt so "right" to the way I like to ride.  I instantly fell in love with the way the curves fit my body, and the way the bike felt.  
sounds familar...like finding that perfect pistol that fits yer hand spot on...ain't it?
laugh.gif

You're hooked...oh and...btw?...

"Welcome"

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

(Lamb busa @ Sep. 10 2006,20:07) Lamb commutes everyday> no wheelies> no 100 mile per hour runs> just commuting like on a 650.  It is more than a pleasure.  On weekends the wick gets turned up a bit, but everyday on the freeway and the few side streets Lamb is on it is gentle as a kitten.  That is why it is the best bike ever built.  The bike that does it all!!!
kickass.gif
The Big Red One feels the same
wink.gif
laugh.gif

great post! same boat...kinda. rode a harley 6 years, 88cu twin cam 1350 cc or whatever it was, big bike, FIRST BIKE. took MSF course.

still remember first time practicing around my block, lillll too much throttle from a stop making a left, remembered to squeeze the clutch, all was good.

same cinerio on this bike woulda lost it maybe.

got the busa as second bike after harley. total RESPECT from day one. very VERY POWERFUL, VERY QUICK. SERIOUSLY RESPECT THE THROTTLE and she will love you mannnn....

40yo here, got "Celine" this spring. put around locally mostly. have her 5ish months now, 1200 miles on her. went up to 100 ["90 something" for you speedo correct guys] ANNND....115 on speedo [=100?] HA!
she will make you go 40 where you went 30 ect ect. handles great too. i'm still getting to know her though. oh and very comfortable.

dudes...i think i'm in love

blush.gif

You are about bang on for maturity KC. You will probably live to enjoy it. What are you waiting for? Get down the shop, pay up and post pictures of a big grinning busa bloke with shiny new wheels.
beerchug.gif
Welcome aboard. You know only too well what you are going to buy.

You need to ride one in my opinion.

Find someone near you and get feel it out of the showroom.

The bike is great in every aspect. I dont ride a 100+ nor do I pull wheelies at every intersection.

But I know that its there if I want to and it feels good on the soul to ride this machine.

Some people get caught up in argueing over whose faster and what company will win the most races.

Others just like to twist the throttle and feel the breeze.

Go with whats best for you.

(heavybusa @ Sep. 11 2006,01:11) You need to ride one in my opinion.

Find someone near you and get feel it out of the showroom.

The bike is great in every aspect. I dont ride a 100+ nor do I pull wheelies at every intersection.

But I know that its there if I want to and it feels good on the soul to ride this machine.

Some people get caught up in argueing over whose faster and what company will win the most races.

Others just like to twist the throttle and feel the breeze.

Go with whats best for you.
SHOCKED.gif
+1

Go get it. You sound like you would respect the power, and that's the important part.

The sitting position is perfect for commuting, or hitting some twisties.. it's all good. You won't be sorry.
beerchug.gif

welcome to the board...this is my 7th bike (if i haven't forgotten 1 or 2)...i have ridden dirt bikes, enduros, cruisers, choppers, and now my 'Busa...there is no question that this is the BEST bike on the planet for all-around riding...running to the store, cruising on the weekend, back roads, in town, twisties, 1/4 mile drags, or top end, whatever, nothing fazes her...the only concern is if you have enough self control to contain her...she will do whatever you ask of her (insert BIG heart emoticon here)

Back