Question for you guys that have shipped a Busa

StuandJoy

Registered
Getting ready to ship her out and was wondering the best way to prepare it. I know about the no fluids thing and all accessories you dont want stolen.

What I was curious about is whether or not you guys that have shipped would go thru the trouble of removing the plastics and wrapping them yourselves? I am definitely going to remove the mirrors, turn signals, tank bra, and windshield.

Anything else you guys would suggest?

Thanks, Stu

i really wouldn't worry about getting that detailed into it. my neighbor had his shipped and they crated it. They are responsible for any damage done to bike, so I would let them worry about it. Just take lots of pics befor it is shipped and have them go over entire bike with you to show no damage

yeah...be careful though, cause back a few years ago (92)...I took my 1990 Ninja 750 to Okinawa and when it got there it was rubbed pretty good on the front fender and one of the side fairings from where they had packed it so tight. Up to you to remove anything you want to have more protected, but think about it.
smile.gif

Chad

Shouldn't be necessary to remove all that stuff. You should only remove accessories that come off easily. You shouldn't have a problem with plastics, wind screen, mirrors, or tank bra. However, if you are crating it or strapping it down yourself, do look out for rub points. Put a cover over it if you have one.

If you love your busa and the way it looks, I'd take the damn plastics off and bubblewrap and send with household goods. 2nd hand experience (a friends 6r and a friends 9r) taught me that any damage caused by movers is a s.o.b. to get squared away. 7 out of 10 times I'm sure the bike is delivered with no problems, but out of the 4 guys I know who have shipped their bikes, there was always damage. Good luck!!!

The company i used in the past makes a record of any blemish or breaks on the bike before they even load it after that there responsible if something happens they take care of it cause they have a good insurance policy to cover them have shipped 6 bikes with them and never a problem

Depends on how you are shipping. I use a shipper every year which only does bikes and cars. In my case it is better not to wrap etc, you can get scratches from wrapping.

The company i used in the past makes a record of any blemish or breaks on the bike before they even load it after that there responsible if something happens they take care of it cause they have a good insurance policy to cover them have shipped 6 bikes with them and never a problem
yea that is what I was talking about. they will fix damages. I know with cars shipped by military, they inspect the car for everything befor it is shipped and when you pick it up you go over the car again and document any damages. Took about an hour to get paid for the damages. not sure if it is the same for motorcycles, but if it is for military, they will have to pay for anything messed up, if the shipper doesn't then the military claims will.

I used Goldrush to ship my bike...Although I was not real happy with the delivery I was impressed with their care...They have trailers that are exclusively designed to transport vehicles...I rode my bike to the rear of the trailer a loading ramp lowered I rode my bike on the ramp it lifted roll it on the trailer and that strapped her down and rolled out...A detailed inspection was done before and after and not a scratch was put on her while in transport...They did a hell of a job with the transport...I didn't remove anything nor did I cover anything...
evil.gif

Last November I shipped my 'Busa back from Mainland Japan with my household goods. I didn't do anything to my bike except drain the fluids and disconnect the battery (just so it wouldn't be dead when I unpacked the bike). The bike came through fine, but when they uncrated it they scratched up my right side lower fairing and fender which I am still fighting for payment.

Just make sure you watch them crate and uncreate the bike.

Shawn

The bike came through fine, but when they uncrated it they scratched up my right side lower fairing and fender which I am still fighting for payment.

Just make sure you watch them crate and uncreate the bike.

Shawn
Thanks for the replies guys.

Shawn, thats exactly what I was curious about. I'm also goin the household goods route. Did they use actual wooden crates or was it the plastic cases?

Stu

I shipped mine in bubble-wrap.. No worries-except the lust in the movers' eyes when I showed up to collect it..
smile.gif
The important thing, however, is to BE THERE when it's loaded & unloaded. That's the #1 issue - not very likely damages occur during transportation.

If you can't be there, just send someone you know (and he knows, too..) that he can handle it.

I've shipped a bike in household goods on 2 different PCS moves with no problem. The important thing is the pre-shipment inspection. Dont let the bastids bully you into nitpicking scratches/rubs/fading. They will look for ANYTHING to argue about if something is wrong on the receiving end. Keep em honest...

BTW -- Where are you headed?

shipping mine back with household goods. I will take about 150 pictures and wait for the $$$ when they mess something up.:p

I would go to the local dealer and get a factory CRATE that the bike came in. All you do is take off the mirrors and windscreen. The bike bolts right in and is on it's way.

It is only covered in card board but unless they drop it or stab something into it, the bike will be pretty secure and good to go for shipping. If they do drop it or damage it, the bike probably isn't going to be to salvagable anyway.

Back