Odyssey

Registered
1zhelp.gif

1zhelp.gif

1zhelp.gif

1zhelp.gif

1zhelp.gif

1zhelp.gif

As you can probly guess, I like bikes. But I also like cars, sure 99% of them are slower than the a busa, but they can be fun too
biggrin.gif

On to my question, I am planning on buying a used engine soon for my trans am, what should i look for, and what should i avoid in my search? I already know about the leakdown test
smile.gif
but as far as the rest, im kinda cluelesss
confused.gif

1zhelp.gif

1zhelp.gif

1zhelp.gif

1zhelp.gif

1zhelp.gif

make sure they give you blueprints and all paperwork that they did to the engine. make sure its balanced, etc, etc

What kinda power are ya after ODY.
How come yer not buildin yer own, or havin one built to suit yer needs.
I'm a firm believer in building yer own stuff......ya just never know for sure what's in a used engine and how well it was built.....people will tell ya anything nowdays to make the sale.

I'm a firm believer in building yer own stuff......ya just never know for sure what's in a used engine and how well it was built.....people will tell ya anything nowdays to make the sale.
That was my original plan, but I need an engine to start with and eventually (when i have the funds) build a Twin Turbo. I could of bought a nice motor but, all that money has been spent on buying a busa. If you have a motor laying around that you can sell for 400 bucks, I will take if off you hands. This money im throwing out alot of money

$8500 for a busa
Need a new hood and front grive for my GMC sierra
I need to put an engine an tranny in my Trans AM.

Since January I spent 26,000 canadian dollars, plus another $10k USD. College, Moving(Moved from Indiana to Toronto and back to Indiana in 4 months), The Busa, Rent, Food, Gas, really adds up.

Didnt expect the computer industy to get as popular as it has, and now they are getting payed half of what they used to. So i have to rethink what to study in a University. I was pretty good at business in high school. Money RULES everything, and I need as much as i can get.

Sorry didnt mean to go on a rant like that.

But as far as Torque and HP goes, I will take as much as i can get and what is possible with future modifications.

That was my original plan, but I need an engine to start with and eventually (when i have the funds) build a Twin Turbo. I could of bought a nice motor but, all that money has been spent on buying a busa. If you have a motor laying around that you can sell for 400 bucks, I will take if off you hands. This money im throwing out alot of money

$8500 for a busa
Need a new hood and front grive for my GMC sierra
I need to put an engine an tranny in my Trans AM.

Since January I spent 26,000 canadian dollars, plus another $10k USD. College, Moving(Moved from Indiana to Toronto and back to Indiana in 4 months), The Busa, Rent, Food, Gas, really adds up.

Didnt expect the computer industy to get as popular as it has, and now they are getting payed half of what they used to. So i have to rethink what to study in a University. I was pretty good at business in high school. Money RULES everything, and I need as much as i can get.

Sorry didnt mean to go on a rant like that.

But as far as Torque and HP goes, I will take as much as i can get and what is possible with future modifications.
If yer planning on going twin turbo'd...you may as well spend the money and do it right the first time, rather than spend 2-$3000 now then rip it all apart to lower the CR and build the bottom end strong enough to handle the pressure the turbo's are gonna give ya.
I know some guys up this way that are running well over 1000hp in there cars with a single turbo.....mind you we're talkin 4" turbo's here with monster intercoolers and seriously built motors.
These things are running between 7's and 8's in the 1/4
Always do it right the first time ODY.....believe it or not you'll spend alot less $$$$$ in the long run.
Park the T/A for a bit....save the money......then build it in killer fashion when yer ready.....no point in burning yer hard earned dude!!!!
Where the heck do you get the money from.....yer just a young guy!!!!!

Im building a street car, something i can drive around town, and still smoke the local rice boys in their civics witht coffee cans welded to the exhaust. Im going to strip the trans am to the frame and strengthen the frame. this summer and work on the interior until i can get a engine and transmission. Its either do all of this, or well save up and buy a turbo for the busa. I think a car is more sensable because winters seem to be getting worse every year here. If I had some help I would remove the engine from my truck, lol and drop it in, It has plenty of torque, lol. Canadian winter murdered my truck, the frame is orange from rust, any place paint has been chipped is now rusted. So If the frame is really bad when i check it out, i may put the truck engine in, its a vortec v-8 and runs really well. Would you happen to know if these engines are good for performance applications?

Im building a street car, something i can drive around town, and still smoke the local rice boys in their civics witht coffee cans welded to the exhaust. Im going to strip the trans am to the frame and strengthen the frame. this summer and work on the interior until i can get a engine and transmission. Its either do all of this, or well save up and buy a turbo for the busa. I think a car is more sensable because winters seem to be getting worse every year here. If I had some help I would remove the engine from my truck, lol and drop it in, It has plenty of torque, lol. Canadian winter murdered my truck, the frame is orange from rust, any place paint has been chipped is now rusted. So If the frame is really bad when i check it out, i may put the truck engine in, its a vortec v-8 and runs really well. Would you happen to know if these engines are good for performance applications?
The Vortec engines are fairly good, but if you wanna kick some rice ass......yer gonna need more than that especially since 13 second rice rockets are common place nowdays.
As far as stripping yer car right down: you don't need to do that to strengthen the frame......just buy a set of MAC weld-on subframe connectors......they'll strengthen it enough to handle a good 450-500 hp.
Then add a strut tower brace and that'll stiffen that chassis right up.
I think you should figure out first exactly what you want to do...then go from there.
You want a driver.....a turbo terror.....a rice rocket eater.
Sounds like you should just build yerself a stout carburated 4 bolt main small block with a decent set of heads (Dart or Airflow Research) or the like....a set of TRW forged 10.5-1 pistons a Comp 280 or 305 cam, roller rockers, a Victor JR intake.
Have a decent shop do the machining for you and a decent mech assemble it.
Recipe for a 450+ horse engine that'll wax most ricers and be a reliable cruiser at the same time.....and not cost you yer left arm.

What year T/A? I have a 79/6.6/400 turbo tranny that I can maybe sell for $1500 for the whole car. It is restoreable but I will be selling it for parts. not quite sure if I want to sell yet.

Back