Question for those using the new GoPro Hero2

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Went for a ride today with new cam from Honda East. Using recommended card Sandisk 32gb class 10.
It would not record past 34:42 minutes? File sizes were 3,844,765kb 3,844,761kb and 3,844,759kb.
All 3 strange time and strange size to cut off on? It stopped and started recording on its on for all three of these. Fourth and final file was only 15 minutes. I've looked at settings and read the new manual but came up with nothing. Any ideas?

I've heard that they do that to keep file sizes manageable for the home computers that will be using/editing them. If there's a setting that can change that, I haven't seen it yet.

:dunno:

I've also heard that GoPro has great customer service. Maybe give them a call in the morning.

I'm glad you started this thread Saiid. I'm going to buy the same camera so I'll be wearing you phone out.

Just don't block my number or I'll be forced to make an unscheduled trip to the Sunshine State! :tantrum:

Did it stop and start, or did it just split the file. My original Go Pro HD splits the files under 4 GB.

Did it stop and start, or did it just split the file. My original Go Pro HD splits the files under 4 GB.

I had files 3,4,5,6,6,7,7,8,8,9
Not sure what the diff between stop and start or split is? The files with same number, one just ends and the next picks up like a second after. I guess it would be more of a split?

That's what I'd call a 'split'. The camera is stopping and restarting a new file at a specific size to prevent it from getting too big. My regular HD hero does the same at about 30 minutes.

Besides, I want to see the computer that can edit a 3+GB file in one bite without choking on it - unless you built one, or bought one over $4K it's doubtful. I just built a pretty strong machine (8GB RAM) and it would have trouble w/it.

I don't really edit them. I recorded on old camera hour long vids and then cut out only the good parts. Saved them as a separate file and then format disc while gopro is still plugged into pc. The rest I never saved to my pc as its just unneeded wasted storage space. I can swear file sizes on old one wound go up to like 5-6gb before splitting them?

5-6 GIGABYTES? highly doubt it never saw one get that big on my camera....

I don't really edit them. I recorded on old camera hour long vids and then cut out only the good parts. Saved them as a separate file and then format disc while gopro is still plugged into pc. The rest I never saved to my pc as its just unneeded wasted storage space. I can swear file sizes on old one wound go up to like 5-6gb before splitting them?

It might be how the SDHC card is formatted, but I'm thinking it's more an OS function. A 32 bit OS will not handle files larger than 4 GB. Its faster to transfer the files to your HDD and edit from there than from the card. After getting the GoPro HD, I upgraded the PC to a Core i7, 6 GB RAM, 2 TB HDD, running 64 bit Windows 7 to make editing easier.

It might be how the SDHC card is formatted, but I'm thinking it's more an OS function. A 32 bit OS will not handle files larger than 4 GB. Its faster to transfer the files to your HDD and edit from there than from the card. After getting the GoPro HD, I upgraded the PC to a Core i7, 6 GB RAM, 2 TB HDD, running 64 bit Windows 7 to make editing easier.

Dennis, the machine I just built is similar/higher powered than yours, and I think even it would have a hard time eating a 4GB .mp4 file...

I believe it was the camera BW. Reason being is because when I plugged gopro in and opened dcm file there were already multiples there before I ever did anything or saved anything.

Dennis, the machine I just built is similar/higher powered than yours, and I think even it would have a hard time eating a 4GB .mp4 file...

Mine handles 4GB .mp4 files just fine since I went from 32 bit to 64 bit Windows. You should have no problems.

I believe it was the camera BW. Reason being is because when I plugged gopro in and opened dcm file there were already multiples there before I ever did anything or saved anything.

The GoPro is definately doing the file splitting. I expect its so the files are compatable with 32 bit OSs since that is what most folks are still running.

Back