Question for the home cooks here

880jedi

Registered
I'm going to make another batch of homemade chicken noodle soup again. In the past I have grilled the chicken first, then added it to the soup. It works well.

My question is, can you just throw the raw chicken into the broth, noodles and veggies, and let it cook that way?

Any idea if the end result would be better or worse? I've e-mailed Emeril Lagasse and Paula Deen, but they haven't replied yet.

What say you?

I always bake a whole chicken, then boil the meat till its done, then with the.broth ita boiled in I add.the chicken, veggies, and noodles.....

I always used cooked meat on or off bone then added to soup. If still on bone I add it with bone will it ready to fall off. Then de-bone it and add back to soup. You could add it raw,but I've found it's better to trap the flavor of the chicken in by cooking 1st. Boiled chicken from raw usually waters down the taste of the meat itself. I make my soup 1-2 days before I plan on eating it. with the exception of stuff like noodles,rice,dumplins,etc... That gets added during the final heating up of the meal. Tastes better.

70 mins, 450 degrees, WHOLE chicken on a broiler pan. season the top with kosher salt and cracked pepper, a little bit of garlic powder if you like. skin's crispy, the meat is juicy and delicious. rip it off the chicken and toss it in the soup.

Technically there is a proper way to make chicken broth, if your method works for you then the recipe is a success. I have always started with raw fresh chicken on the bone with mire poix (onion or leek,celery and carrot) a bouquet garni (thyme,bay leaf, parsley stem and blk peppercorns) and just enough cold water to cover. Slow up to simmer and cook till the chicken is just cooked. Remove from the pot. Allow to cool while I build the actual soup in another pot. Add the cooked shredded chicken at the end. A lot of work for great results.

This is how I make it:

Boil the chicken to done and shred. I always used boneless breast meat.

Replace water with Swanson Chicken Broth, usually enough to just barely cover the chicken

Add 1 can each of cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup

Add large bag of frozen egg noodles

Add more chicken broth till everything is just barely covered.

Simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour stirring occasionally then serve.

A well made pot pie is my favorite chicken dish..only second to a Thomas Keller perfectly simple roasted Chicken. :beerchug:

Chicken soup is all about the broth! Making your own broth is the proper way to make chicken soup that will hold a family together :thumbsup:

Start with a whole chicken. Cover the whole raw chicken with water in a large pot, add the appropriate onion, celery and spices. Cook the chicken until the meat is falling off the bone. Remove the chicken from the broth. Let the chicken cool just long enough to pull the meat off the bone with your fingers. Run the broth through a strainer to remove all the goodies. Put the goodies in the fridge. Place the broth, pot and all in the fridge and let it sit over night allowing the fat to harden on the surface. The following day skim the fat off and start the soup. Add carrots, corn, green beans or any other vegies you'd like and let simmer until the vegies are near done. Add the chicken and goodies you strained from the broth. When soup is ten minutes from being done, add noodles (I like the little curly ones that look like a pigs tail) salt and pepper and you've got yourself a pot of home made chicken soup that will make you slap your grandmo down! :cheerleader:

Now I'm thinking I should go pick up a whole chicken and get started. Damn, that stuff is good! Healthy as well.

Technically there is a proper way to make chicken broth, if your method works for you then the recipe is a success. I have always started with raw fresh chicken on the bone with mire poix (onion or leek,celery and carrot) a bouquet garni (thyme,bay leaf, parsley stem and blk peppercorns) and just enough cold water to cover. Slow up to simmer and cook till the chicken is just cooked. Remove from the pot. Allow to cool while I build the actual soup in another pot. Add the cooked shredded chicken at the end. A lot of work for great results.

This is pretty much what I do, except I will debone the chicken raw and then use the bones to make the broth while I grill or roast the meat. This allows me to portion the chicken meat into nice cubes as opposed to just shredding it. It also allows for cooking the meat to the correct level of doneness while concentrating the flavor in the meat as opposed to diluting the flavor by boiling the meat. It also allows the bones to simmer for 3 or 4 hours to extract the maximum gelatin with out having to worry about over cooking the meat.

Really though, the proper way would be to use the meat, bones, and skin from an old laying hen that is no longer producing eggs with mirepoix (Auguste Escoffier would have us add a bit of ham to that mirepoix) to make the stock and then discarding all that. Unfortunately due to our industrial food production hens are not available to the average consumer (nor is half way decent ham...).

I've been known to roast the bones and veggies with a little tomato paste before simmering them to make a dark chicken stock. Unconventional but yummy.

Clarifying the "broth" with a raft made from mirepoix,egg whites and raw ground chicken to make consommé is well beyond the scope of the .Org

OK I'll shut up now.....

:moon::whistle::laugh:

cheers
ken

i just open the can, heat and serve. :thumbs::laugh:

soup.jpg

This is pretty much what I do, except I will debone the chicken raw and then use the bones to make the broth while I grill or roast the meat. This allows me to portion the chicken meat into nice cubes as opposed to just shredding it. It also allows for cooking the meat to the correct level of doneness while concentrating the flavor in the meat as opposed to diluting the flavor by boiling the meat. It also allows the bones to simmer for 3 or 4 hours to extract the maximum gelatin with out having to worry about over cooking the meat.

Really though, the proper way would be to use the meat, bones, and skin from an old laying hen that is no longer producing eggs with mirepoix (Auguste Escoffier would have us add a bit of ham to that mirepoix) to make the stock and then discarding all that. Unfortunately due to our industrial food production hens are not available to the average consumer (nor is half way decent ham...).

I've been known to roast the bones and veggies with a little tomato paste before simmering them to make a dark chicken stock. Unconventional but yummy.

Clarifying the "broth" with a raft made from mirepoix,egg whites and raw ground chicken to make consommé is well beyond the scope of the .Org

OK I'll shut up now.....

:moon::whistle::laugh:

cheers
ken

:rofl: So true!

this is why men are the best cooks, Period!

Brave statement there!:laugh:
I know quite a few women cooks and professional chefs that put their male counterparts to shame. As a close to completely male dominated field as it is, men do get the kudo's a lot more often.
In an industry driven by ego and pride, it still holds quite a bit of prejudice towards women.
I personally love working with women. Better ability to manage stress and have super keen detail characteristics and work quite clean. However, get a group of strong women together in a kitchen and it can get pretty catty and vicious. Got to have delicate balance!

...get a group of strong women together in a kitchen and it can get pretty catty and vicious....

pretty?...PRETTY?.... Having been the lone male in a kitchen many years ago, let me state, unequivocally, you sir, are the master of the understatement.

Cheers ken

Back