Question for the experts

jpowell490

Registered
Hey Guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but being a newbie here, still learning my way around. :whistle:

On the referral of member Kromdom, I bought the 08 Busa from acrobat here on the board Saturday. 1460 miles and like new, not to mention acro is a super guy.

I took the fairings off and did an oil change and I am about positive I did not move anything and put everything back correctly. I have done a lot of this before just not on a busa. I am smelling a plastic type burning smell when riding the bike or idling. Now mind you, this bike is pretty much new and have new Micron slip ons on it. So it could be that as Kromdom tells me.

Also after washing with s100 and a pressure washer ( no I stood pretty far back and did not put high pressure on anything ) I started the bike and let it warm up and steam was coming up through the handlebar area, could tell it was steam because it fogged up the windscreen. It was coming from the radiator it looked like. I have not seen it since so I am hoping it isn't a leak and just moisture where I washed it.

Lastly, is the oil and transmission all in one on these bikes? What I mean is, does the oil act as the transmission lubricant as well? I only saw one drain plug and I know from past, some are like that and some are not. Some have seperate trans fluid.

The only stupid thing I did was tap the fairing back on with the palm of my hand trying to get a grommet back in and made about a 2 inch crack in the fairing :banghead: I wanted to cry right on the spot :poke:

Thanks guys for assuring me and answering the above questions. I will post pics in a few days when this weather clears up.

The micron slip-ons did they come with a mid-pipe. When I changed to the Muzzy exhaust the right side plastic was melted in a small spot when the mid pipe touched it, cleared it way and looks factory now but I was a little worried. The steam is from the water down on the engine, mine does this everytime I wash it. The oil and transmission fluid are the same all in one tank. Next time line up and apply light pressure its rubber and plastic they fit pretty good. If you have to hit then try to realign.

Oh and :welcome: to the org :beerchug:

The steam is the water left sitting on the headers or above the header trapt in some of the plastic covering. Nothing to worry about, it'll go away, happens to me when it rains.

When you do an oil change, did you cover the header? Oil might be burning off of it and that's the smell you're getting.

Last edited:
The new exhaust is probably sitting a little close to the fairings. When the original owner put the full micron system on my bike the shop that did it had to put a few extra washers to space the fairings out just a little. The steam is just from the water getting down on to the motor.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate it. Anything else you can think of that I need to check let me know. The battery is not the best in the world, I charged it and it wouldn't start again after awhile, it may be dead and I need a new one. Seems weird to be so new, but stranger things have happened.

Oh, yes I cleaned the headers off with brake cleaner, wasn't much in the way of oil that got on them, but I did my best to clean it off.

I am going to go back and revisit the fairing tonight and make sure there is nothing touching. I don't think there is, but I will make sure. No mid pipe on the Microns.

Aside from the fairing, oil changes on these bikes are a breeze. I have a Buell 1125R and an oil change on that is a PITA. Not so much as in hard to get to, they just put the oil filter right directly on top of the kick stand and when you take the oil filter cover off (canister type) it goes over you and the kickstand.

Steam is ok. IF what you are smelling is the exhaust getting too close to a fairing, you can go to the local shop and buy some stick on aluminum foil just like what's on your OEM fairings to put in the extra places you might now be getting too close....

And yes, Radiator fluid is separate than engine oil...there is a link on this site for the full K8 shop manual in .pdf...you'll need it to work with these fairings....

Thanks everyone and Skydiver,

I checked the fairing tonight, it is no where close to the exhaust. However the bike only had 1460 miles on it when I bought it and the slipons are pretty new, so maybe it is just the new smell still like everyone said.

I can't stop looking at it :rofl: I am in love.

Got to ride it for about 40 miles yesterday and it is the smoothest bike I have ever ridden. :cheerleader:

New slipons do smoke/smell for awhile as they burn off any lubricants left inside during construction.

Just don't get greedy with that throttle until you've gotten a few miles on her..

Back