Question for servicemen and members of the military

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Can any of you tell me why the US flag seems to be backwards on some uniforms ?
I noticed this on my last trip . Some of the guys I met had uniforms that looked like this , with the flag 'Backwards' on right shoulder ?
flagpolicy.jpg

0611BackwardsPatch.jpg

Shouldn't the stars be on upper left and not like above ?

You wear the flag in combat on the right side. Its to make the flag look like your moving foreward, not retreating. Thats how I always wore mine!

You wear the flag in combat on the right side. Its to make the flag look like your moving foreward, not retreating. Thats how I always wore mine!

Understood and not to question you but is it not still 'Backward' ?
There is some deep rooted old tradition I seem to remember being taught that says the stars should always be displayed or worn upper left ?
Kinda the same thing as it should never be allowed to touch the ground .
Is that not true ?

The flag is to be looked at as if it was mounted on a guide on held by a soldier moving foreward in battle. The stars would be closest to the pole so now it looks like its flying backwards.

Ok I see it now .
If it were on a pole being carried the stars would be closest to pole and he is running forward so that's why it looks backwards .

Thank you very much

Exactly what GSXTacy said. You lead the flag into battle "union" first. Blanca-you are correct in that traditionally the union is displayed the the left of all viewers.

According to the US Flag Code;

When the flag is affixed to the side of a vehicle or uniform, it should be oriented so that the union is towards the front. This is done to give the impression that the flag is blowing backwards from its hoist as the vehicle or wearer moves forward. Therefore, U.S. flag decals (or patches) on the right sides of vehicles (or uniforms) may appear to be "reversed", with the union to the observer's right instead of left as more commonly seen.

Honestly there are a bunch of rules that are not commonly followed, such as clothing, disposable items, display at night, etc. Here is a complete set of rules and regs;

Flag Rules and Regulations

Mostly I remember growing up it being a great honor having your name called at assembly to help put the flag up on the pole in front of the school and I also remember how imp it was to not let even the smallest touch to the ground .
You were in deep doo doo if that happened when it was your turn . :spank:

Your also not supposed to hang a flag that has touched the ground either IIRC.

Mostly I remember growing up it being a great honor having your name called at assembly to help put the flag up on the pole in front of the school and I also remember how imp it was to not let even the smallest touch to the ground .
You were in deep doo doo if that happened when it was your turn . :spank:

It is a shame that today many people are embarassed to have anything to do with our flag... :banghead:

You are both correct that it is nopt supposed to touch the ground, but it can be cleaned in the event that it happens. One thing that many do not know is that if the flag is irrepairably damaged, you are supposed to burn it! Lots of rules to the proper care and handling of our flag, but they are important to know.:rulez:

As a DAV, one thing that I found really depressing. After 9/11 when the country as a whole actually united and showed their pride by flying flags everywhere. All those rules seemed to go in the garbage.
Example: Those little flags on a plastic holder that you could stick on your car window while driving. I remember seeing those litter the streets because people would forget they were there and roll the window down and off the flag goes into the wind. . .
I know people meant the best intentions but it was still depressing to see they still did not really care. :down:

Back