Question for military guys

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
Why is the Browning 50 cal. machine gun referred to as "ma deuce." Where did the term come from??

Soldier are always looking for ways to convert acrynoms into a word they can converse with; saying 'MA Duece" instead of "M-two" or "Hummer" instead of "HUMWV"...

Since some idiot is always trying to come up with some new name (so he can put it on his eval), there are always new acronyms to try and convert to words. I'm sure we could do that all day...

Soldier are always looking for ways to convert acrynoms into a word they can converse with; saying 'MA Duece" instead of "M-two" or "Hummer" instead of "HUMWV"...

Since some idiot is always trying to come up with some new name (so he can put it on his eval), there are always new acronyms to try and convert to words. I'm sure we could do that all day...

Actually,we dont call them "hummers" we call them humvee's instead of HUMWV,lol. It actually IS a "hummer".

You are the MAN. I get it now M = Ma 2 = Deuce. I like the military, I like weapons, I can watch the military channel for hours. But, when I run across a term that I can't figure out, this is the place to come.

Watch "Mail Call" whenever you can. You will be surprised with the stuff you learn.

BTW, I think that is mostly an Army term. I never heard it called a Ma Duece until I joined the NG after 9 years in the Marine Corps. I still call it a fifty-cal or a fifty.

Also, it is HMMWV(Highly Mobile Multi-Wheeled Vehicle) no "U" - unless you read the signs made by KBR all over Iraq, the signs also direct all "PERSONAL" to report places. They need English speakers to help out sometimes. I just call a HMMWV "my truck" regardless of who actually signed for it or who is currently parking it somewhere near where I need wheels.

Last edited:
Back