Question for 'Howlin'

A related question.  I'm buying a new lid soon and I think i'm going to go with a full/open design (where the chin bar raises also).  Is there any fundamental reason that I shouldn't consider buying one of these.  Just need a second (or however many) opinion.  I kind of like the option of getting more air and access to my mouth (for drinks, cigs, etc) while i'm sitting in traffic without removing my helmet.  
Thanks, Chris
None that I can think of.  They seem like a great helmet.  

Marc "Howlin Mad"
Marc is, I think the site's helmet expert . I have been researching the heck outa helmets lately (gonna buy a new lid this week) a buddy owns a lil' bike shop here in town,so I can take a lid for a ride to chec it out . If you can do this,go for it.....chec it for what I'm guessing will be EXCESSIVE wind noise at BUSA-SPEED , if ya know what I mean . Me, personally...I'd be a little worried about that trick hinged jaw, just snappin' right off on serious impact . They design alot of motocross helmets to have "Break-Away-Jaw" pieces , but I dont think I want parts of my lid commin' unglued while its protecting my last remaining brain cells.
Just my 2....an' yes....I can make change .
Have a good 1.....Rubberman .

A related question.  I'm buying a new lid soon and I think i'm going to go with a full/open design (where the chin bar raises also).  Is there any fundamental reason that I shouldn't consider buying one of these.  Just need a second (or however many) opinion.  I kind of like the option of getting more air and access to my mouth (for drinks, cigs, etc) while i'm sitting in traffic without removing my helmet.  
Thanks, Chris
I am assuming that this is going to be your casual helmet not a race helmet right?

Marc "Howlin Mad"

just ordered a new helmet.... didnt have much cash layin around, so did some diggin on the 'net and here is what I got:

KBC VR-1 Euro, and chrome shield. Shipped to my door for $194.98. Better than what I currently have. Here is a photo:

I went to Cycle Gear (shameless plug) and tried almost ALL the Shoei, Arai, and KBC helmets. I have an oval (egg) shaped head and couldn't find an Arai or Shoie that fits. I settled on the KBC Racer 1.

Helmet_Side.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with the Shoei RF-900 . And....after 2 days with this melon protector....I'm as happy as heck . The cooling,awesome. The fit,awesome. Always , mostly , rode with Arai . Most likely never again . Wind noise is way less,due to the fact (I think anyway) that shoei hides the shield hardware with the shield...instead of a plastic cap.
The shield on a shoei raises all the way up,totally outa yer view, I like that . Wind noise is down...yet I can hear better.
Arai helmets (some) have their cooling ports in the screen,which works JUST ok , IF you have the visor closed all the way . For me an' the average rider thats about what ? maybe 50 % of the time . I dunno......I like this puppy .
Godspeed to you all.....if ya cant have that...you've always
GOT A BUSA . Peace .

Honestly the most important thing is to get a helmet that fits right. If you do that you have won 90% of the race to safety. Making sure it is Snell approved is 9%. 1% is sheer dumb luck. Wear your helmets always and NEVER use them!

Marc "Howlin Mad"

I went to Cycle Gear (shameless plug) and tried almost ALL the Shoei, Arai, and KBC helmets.  I have an oval (egg) shaped head and couldn't find an Arai or Shoie that fits.  I settled on the KBC Racer 1.
Big O,

I got the same KBC as you, same color, just with a clear screen. I've had a tinted black screen on back order for more than a month. The blue looks cool. Don't let me guess your bike color!

So far no complaints on this one. I think it's a great helmet. Although I've never owned an Arai or Shoei. I tried on all three at the dealers and went with the KBC. I put the dough I saved into pants and boots.

Final note... Matt Mladin is kicking ass on a gixer 1000 this year in AMA. Check out his lid. Track cred for the KBC.
http://www.ussuperbike.com/article....x0O8WKD

RE: Above Mladin Lid link
I had gone to the AMA website so I could spell Mladin's name right, but if you read that article below the pic - it's about how he almost blew the race because his helmet fogged up!

Well, I haven't had that problem with my KBC. That's the first time it's happened to him. The day before his tire blew out at 170mph. I think this guy takes all his hardware beyond what a manufacturer expects. The article talks about a battle for second place between the "mortals". First loser mortals being Kurtis Roberts, Aaron Yates, Ben Bostrom, and Eric Bostrom. Sheeeiiiiiiittt.

It will be interesting to see what lid Matt stays with, given his domination in AMA superbike this year.

Back