question for guys that carry a handgun

Stilslo

Registered
I know there are a lot of gun owners on here. I'm getting my concealed weapons permit and curious what gun you guys recommend for a carry. I have a kimber .45 1911 frame and there is no way I could comfortably carry it. As far as handguns, I've never shot or owned anything but a .45. Any recommendations for a smaller gun?

I'm quite happy with my Glock 33, but a lot of people think the baby Glocks are too thick to conceal easily.

I've got Glocks and a full set of Kimber Pro CDP 2's, but they are too big for me to comfortable carry daily.

Take a look at the S&W Bodyguard .380 for daily carry. Small and thin (3/4 in). Single stack; fits in my pocket without issue doesn't print. Double action so you can carry round in chamber without too much issue. Still has a safety if you want it. Has a laser built in too, but I think more bling than real function. Last round slide locks open like a gun should. Run Hornady Critical Defense rounds in it and you've got adequate stopping power.

I'm also looking into a S&W M&P Shield just released - comes in 9mm and .40 cal. Single stack same mechanics as the Bodyguard, but a little wider and an inch longer overall. Don't think it will fit in pocked but should be a good CCW IWB carry.

Whatever you choose read about them first and try to put your hands on one before buying.

View attachment 1593322

M&P Shield not much bigger:

View attachment 1593323

I carry a Ruger SR9C but it really is a bit large. A friend of mine has a Diamondback .380 that I think is a perfect gun for pocket carry. Its also a good grab if you are a Glock fan. There are a lot of similarities in styling IMO.

I carry a CZ 2075 Rami 9mm. Its a sub compact. Single/double action. Love they way it feels and shoots. But honestly you could likley carry a full size 1911. Carry what you are comfortable with if possible. You nay check your local indoor ranges and see if any rent pistol., its a great way to find a new weapon.

I carry a Sig P238 (380 Auto). Not much larger than an LCP. Great shooting gun. Single action though; I am looking for a double action daily carry piece. On the scoot, it is a PK 380.

What is your preferred carry location? IWB, OWB, pocket, shoulder?

P238
image-3197591051.jpg

With the critical defense rounds...
image-3836334049.jpg

PK 380
image-4188365084.jpg

image-3197591051.jpg

image-3836334049.jpg

image-4188365084.jpg

I know there are a lot of gun owners on here. I'm getting my concealed weapons permit and curious what gun you guys recommend for a carry. I have a kimber .45 1911 frame and there is no way I could comfortably carry it. As far as handguns, I've never shot or owned anything but a .45. Any recommendations for a smaller gun?

honestly and i know ppl are going to flame me for this but i carry my ruger lcp 380 on a daily basis because it is small and easy to conceal and even when my shirt lifts its completely tucked away and most people are going to run as soon as you draw or fire a shot and lets be honest were not all going to war every day lol. I carry for purpose now if im going to buy a bike or a car which we actually do alot then i carry my ruger sr9c 9mm sub compact for the reason that you are more likely to step into a situation where money is involved and are more likely to be robbed... now i rarely carry my kimber pro cdp ii because its just too bulky and well with the amount of rounds it carries its not more effective than my 380... yes it puts a bigger hole but seriously most ppl when they get shot they are going to drop and cry like a little girl and if you cant place a vital shot you do not belong carrying in my opinion.

I personally carry a ruger ACP .380 in the summer. Its reliable, I can shoot it dead nutz target shooting, its small, and its light.
You will get many opinions here, Some will toat around a 44MAG just to feel as they have the biggest baddest gun! My opinion on a carry gun are in this order.
1) Reliability (buy a well known top brand name) When I purchase a gun I will buy 100 rounds of 3-4 different brands of ammunition from personal protection to target cheapos! My test is that atleast the personal protection ammo should be able to rapid fire 10 clips without one error or fart! I will accept one hiccup jam mis fire from cheapo ammo. If it does fail on ANY personal protection ammo such as Cor Bon +P, Remington, or Federal Hydra Shocks I will NOT carry that pistol for protection.
2) Accuracy: In the majority of using lethal force to protect yourself it will be or should be within 15' You should be able to fire your gun at 15' center mass without no problems what so ever, cause your not going to shoot as well with adrenaline flowing to survive its a who different ball game once you make the decision to use deadly force to protect your life!
3) Size and comfort and how many options do you have with holsters. Do you want to carry on your ankle. inner belt, shoulder?

I am happy with the lil ACP .380. Yes some may laugh, its a girls gun, its to small, yadda yadda yadda, but i know when I carry it, its going to go BANG when I pull the trigger, I forget its on me, and that I can hit deadly with it.
A .22 caliber is a very deadly round since its known to ricochet in the body off of bones damaging vital organs, the stopping power is different.

Good luck in your choice.

2012-05-23_18-29-01_501.jpg

oh and also i carried the bodyguard for a while and well i like the lcp so much more also a good self defense round do not carry with full metal jackets because they will completely go through a body self defense rounds wont go through and hit a bystander and will leave a much larger bleeding hole and be more effective lol

A Springfield Armory XD45. It has the grip safety, like your 1911, and is polymer. I carry mine daily in a CrossBreed SuperTuck IWB.

A Springfield Armory XD45. It has the grip safety, like your 1911, and is polymer. I carry mine daily in a CrossBreed SuperTuck IWB.

Springfield Armory is a great model. I used to carry a Springfield Armory XD40 Sub Compact before I bought my LCP just the weight and size is a nice change over. I still have my XD but it mostly collects dust on my night stand. In all honesty I am more accurate with my LCP then the XD40

A .22 caliber is a very deadly round since its known to ricochet in the body off of bones damaging vital organs, the stopping power is different.

:beerchug:

.22 is a greatly under-appreciated calibre. - Not good for firefights in the jungle (i.e. 5.56mm sucked in Vietnam), but damn good for stopping muggers/thieves.

Back