Question: Can titanium be powder coated?

///M+Busa

Registered
I am about to pick up a set Yoshi RS-3’s but I want them to be flat black. Is titanium a metal that can be powder coated? If not what other options do I have, besides the CF RS-3’s?

Thanks in advance

William

Actually, you CAN powdercoat titanium. You can powdercoat anything made of metal. It's just a question of why you'd want to. If you want to powdercoat an exhaust, buy the stainless steel and save yourself some $$$

(Commuta_Busa @ May 01 2007,08:56) Ti can't be powder coated.....

Busacruise - your link is for emersion cleaning of Ti parts.
yeah...the link is to the immersion cleaning process.

in preparation for the coating......
flamethrowingsmiley.gif

It would be great if someone has first hand knowledge from a company that powder coats Titanium... I'm yet to find one in the last few years...

I'm not saying it can't be done, I just really want to know who's doing it? I'm yet to know anyone or talk to anyone who has had Titanium powdercoated. It would be great to hear from them....

m-busa keep me posted if you ever get this done.

(Commuta_Busa @ May 01 2007,10:flamethrowing:) It would be great if someone has first hand knowledge from a company that powder coats Titanium... I'm yet to find one in the last few years...

I'm not saying it can't be done, I just really want to know who's doing it? I'm yet to know anyone or talk to anyone who has had Titanium powdercoated. It would be great to hear from them....

m-busa keep me posted if you ever get this done.
Actually a couple posts ago you said it can't
smile.gif

I powder coat, and yes I have successfully coated Ti for about the same reason, the natural Ti coloring did not fit the customers build, so we shot in matte black. There are matte black alternative coating that are excellent with heat. Not sure if normal powder would do that well, great or flop on a Ti can.

Bottom line. Ti can be powder coated, as ibified posted. If there is any coating help I can do, please send me a pm, or email cat3n4@gmail.com

Charlie

(CAT3 @ May 01 2007,17:44)
(Commuta_Busa @ May 01 2007,10
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
)
I'm not saying it can't be done, I just really want to know who's doing it? I'm yet to know anyone or talk to anyone who has had Titanium powdercoated.
Actually a couple posts ago you said it can't
smile.gif

I powder coat, and yes I have successfully coated Ti for about the same reason, the natural Ti coloring did not fit the customers build, so we shot in matte black.  There are matte black alternative coating that are excellent with heat.  Not sure if normal powder would do that well, great or flop on a Ti can.  

Bottom line.  Ti can be powder coated, as ibified posted.  If there is any coating help I can do, please send me a pm, or email cat3n4@gmail.com

Charlie
charlie - you're right, i should have edited my post. way back when... I had inquired about powder coating (adding thermal barrier) to my Ti exhaust and there wasn't a single experienced company who said they've done it. Based on that I felt it couldn't be done.

Of course as time progresses things change... I'm glad to hear it can be done.

Is it a different process to coat Ti? I'm not looking for any trade secrets just wondering if the process is different or if it's a different kind of powder pigment. Can ya' educate us on this a little?

Also, I know of some antigalling coatings have been done for Ti are there any other types of coatings or films available for Ti?

Is it valid for only specifc grades of Ti? such as Ti 6-4?

Do you have a business website I can check out?

Any material can be powdercoated if it can hold curing temp. Some plastics as well.
Cans are not very hot, Im not sure about exact temperature but epoxy powder works just fine.

Why spend extra and waste money on Ti when Al or SS not much heavier.

my case wasn't really related to the exhaust can... thwat doesn't really need to retain heat. why Ti over stainless steel or aluminium.... well if you apply a heat barrier to ti vs SS you're still ebd up with alot less weight. I didn't mention Al only because ahhh this is exhaust related.

to all the why questions, i am getting the cans used dont know how much yet.  Second i want the light weight and the all black look.  Thanks for the info.

William

Back