Question about straps

Lucky34

Registered
I've heard that the good thing about the straps is that you can have em on, but not "lowering" the front, so you can ride the bike on the street, and then just pull the strap and lower the bike when you get to the track. Now my question is when the strap is not tight, a)what do you do with the leftover (the extra strap after the locking device), and b) when the front shocks compress, the straps become even looser. Isn't that a little dangerous if your on the street/twisties?

I'm just a little concerned about riding on the street with the straps on (but not tight). Or should I just remove them completely if I'm gonna be on the street, and just put them on 10 minutes before heading out to the track on track days?

rock.gif

I have never de'strapped my bike...When they went on they stayed on...

I have never de'strapped my bike...When they went on they stayed on...
Really?... So for street riding, I assume you push the button to release the strap... hence getting your front shocks back... but what about when you brake with the front... the shocks compress and the strap will flop around, wont it? Isnt that dangerous? And what do you do with the extra length of strap for regular street riding? What do you tie it up to?

I got straps on my front....I have been known to keep it strapped on the street, but usually I just push the button and release the tension and I usually criss cross my strap in over the frame on top....never had a problem....

I got straps on my front....I have been known to keep it strapped on the street, but usually I just push the button and release the tension and I usually criss cross my strap in over the frame on top....never had a problem....
+1
Strap is always on the bike, just wrap extra around frame or such..

I put a zip tie around the strap at the top. The excess strap runs through the zip tie and flops over. No problems. Not in the way. If you want to loosen for the twisties, keep the strap taunt. I not saying compress the springs, just tight enough so that it is not flopping around and beating up you fender. Hope this helps.

Well... I've been known to go really fast... and do lots of wheelies.... so I think I'll just but the stap on when I'm going to the track... I wouldn't feel comfortable riding around with a strap floping around down there....

I'VE HAD A STRAP ON ALL OF MY BIKES SINCE 2000 AND HAVE NEVER REMOVED THEM. ZIP TIE THE PULL SIDE TO SOMETHING AND FORGET ABOUT IT.

Or should I just remove them completely if I'm gonna be on the street, and just put them on 10 minutes before heading out to the track on track days?
Yup.

First time you cinch the strap down and ride it, you'll see why it's not a good idea on the street. Takes just a few minutes to put on and take off.
its not that dangerous

I leave mine on all the time. adjust it so when you're sitting on the bike there is barely any slack in the strap. when you hit a bump or the shocks compress there will be very little slack in it. make sure you wrap the extra "pull" handle up around your lines or something to keep it from flapping around.

when people say to not use a strap on the street they mean to not ride around with it strapped, not to take it off each time you use it.

leave it on and do what I said and you'll be fine. been doing it for over a yr with no problems!

Back