Question about--sprockets, chains, and tires

OB_Earl

Registered
I now have 2000 miles on a blue busa---I just changed the rear tire---looked at my Vortec sprocket and chain. Old tire was down to the wear bars---sprocket had little bend marks where the chain rollars (drive side) and I have taken exceptional care of my did x ring chain. I clean and lubricate it after every ride. I think it is ok. How about you guys??? My Vortec sprocket is a 41 tooth and had been on it since it was new. I am putting a new one one next weekend. Do you guys think the chain is shot too---looks great and has no binding.

Earl,fancy meeting you here. Count 21 pins on the chain and measure the distance between the two points.[12.57inches]or[319.4mm]. If its longer replace the chain.

Later,
WARBIRD

...I think you should replace the chain and sprokets together or the stuff won't last as long as it should...don't ask how I learned this...

Ok----21 huh----should I pull it tight and if so how tight? I think I'll just replace it with a new one. There only about 120 with a rivet link. I will have to tell you some day about how I "rivet" those pins. You will get a kick out of it. Works though, first you need a big coal chisle-----

Hapo---I learned a long time ago not to ask you anything (anything really important that is) I mean **** , what in like could be more important than a chain???? World peace, something stupid like that????

Coal chisle? Sound like these Kentucky boys. Seen many a V-8 swinging from a tree on a hemp rope! HA!

[This message has been edited by WARBIRD (edited 25 July 2000).]

I did not phase this question right.
How many miles on----tires----aluminum rear sprockets and chains before replacemnt. Hummmmm

I dont get it Earl... Lets see,you said you had 2000 miles on the bike and the sprockets on since new... and there are little bend marks on the drive side of the teeth. 2000 miles I guess is how long you get out of aluminium sprockets,tires ect... Just pull that chain tight so its in a straight line lying on its side and measure in between those 21 pins. If its not to long its ok. If your gonna replace the sprockets you gotta replace the chain anyway. I know you already know this,so why am I typing? Heck I'm out of breath. Whew! I hope all this tensioner stuff is just a scare,I called my dealer today,not one failure has been reported on the 2000's, at his shop anyway.

Yeah, I trailered the bike home from the dealer. My 99 had a 42 Vortec and 1st gear was useless. So I thought a 41 would be about right----I am happy with it, it just seem like it should last longer than 2000 miles. Oh well---I am leaving the stock tensinior in. I had a manual one on a bike several years ago, and I could never get it adjusted right. Now I am worried too!!!! Thanks guys!

Back