Question about Harley riders

Greygoose

Registered
A few threads back,someone said that passing a few of them riding in "formation" was a dangerous thing to do.Is there really such a thing ("formation"),and what does it mean? I pass them frequently-but it's only because they are going 10-20 mph under the posted speed limit.I do not have anything against them-it's just that I ride with my son and do not want to put either one of us in harms way with these guys-they seem like decent people.And does anyone know what the handkerchief most wear on their heads is for? Is that a part of gang apparel or something?

The dew rag is to keep their bald heads from burning from exposure to the sun :laugh: Just a guess.........

Not being a smart arse, but are you serious?

Formation is any group with 2 or more riding together. Can be single file or staggerd formation. Rags on the head, or "dew rags", keep hair in place, I wear one under my helmet because I prefer too.

A few threads back,someone said that passing a few of them riding in "formation" was a dangerous thing to do.Is there really such a thing ("formation"),and what does it mean? I pass them frequently-but it's only because they are going 10-20 mph under the posted speed limit.I do not have anything against them-it's just that I ride with my son and do not want to put either one of us in harms way with these guys-they seem like decent people.And does anyone know what the handkerchief most wear on their heads is for? Is that a part of gang apparel or something?

Formation because they think they are in a parade. :rofl:

Let me guess,, they were all wearing chaps! :laugh:

I would pass them like any other pylon.

Twotone is right on both counts. As far as dangerous it depends. For the most part these guys are just like us just different bikes but, if you pass an outlaw motorcycle club with a couple of prospects that are wouldbe bad azzes overly eager to make their bones knowing they have 20 plus to get their back then you might have a problem. Either way if you do pass just keep going and don't stop at the first bar you see and you will be fine.

most times i would guess the want to bad aces will try to start stuff but more than not they are becoming more accepted of us(sport bikes) and they will probly tell you to leave first before they do something

The challenge in passing is due to their "formation" and the amount of room they leave between each other. To pass one, you have to pass them all.

The rags are worn by riders of all kinds. It helps keep some from sweating under their helmet and having it drip in to your eyes...also, some say it helps with helmet hair...

As for passing? I'd say use caution when passing ANY kind of bike, and yeah, racerV said it. The huge packs of bikes, of any kind, are dangerous to pass so just use caution. I've seen riders in a group wave others in front of them, then you pick them off one by one.

I think I was the one that said this. I didn't mean that passing a group of Harley riders is dangerous, I think most of them are probably decent guys enjoying their mid-life crisis (like me :laugh:). I just meant that it can be a bad thing to do out here where I live in southern Arizona. We have loads of Hells Angels and other outlaw MC clubs passing through alot. Those guys usually won't bother you, but they have serious respect issues.

As far as your normal Harley guys in formation, pass 'em with a :thumbsup:. We're all on two wheels....:beerchug:

As someone that spent 9 years in Gainesville Florida with a Busa and a Harley I assure you; you have nothing to worry about with any of the Harley riders in that area. The only time I ever seen attitude from a Harley rider was on the way to Daytona for bike week when I was on my Busa. Other than that 99 percent of the Harley riders will wave at you and are just "good old southern boys".

Now out here in the west that's a different story. I've all ready heard some horror stories about Harley gangs trying to run sport bikes off the road but I have never seen anything first hand.

I think I was the one that said this. I didn't mean that passing a group of Harley riders is dangerous, I think most of them are probably decent guys enjoying their mid-life crisis (like me :laugh:). I just meant that it can be a bad thing to do out here where I live in southern Arizona. We have loads of Hells Angels and other outlaw MC clubs passing through alot. Those guys usually won't bother you, but they have serious respect issues.

As far as your normal Harley guys in formation, pass 'em with a :thumbsup:. We're all on two wheels....:beerchug:

I was recently driving my truck through Nevada, I'm in the fast lane and got the cruise control set on 80 mph. I notice a group (4) of bobber/rat bike harley riders coming up on me at about 85 mph, the right lane is clear and the've basically got the whole state of Nevada open to pass but instead they creep right up on my ass literally two feet behind me and stay there for about ten minutes, yes I can be stubborn too. Finally I decide I'm capable of being the bigger man and proceed to move to the right lane but first I put the pedal to the floor and wind her up to about 110 mph then put the turn signal on and change lanes. Wouldn't you know it, they stayed right on my ass all they way up to 110. Once in the right lane I let off the gas to resume my previous speed they passed me each giving me the evil eye as I looked to them with no expression on my face thinking *******S! That is when I noticed the HA colors, if you treat others with disrespect does that warrant respect? I don't think so.

you got to be kidding. you should ask them.

I was recently driving my truck through Nevada, I'm in the fast lane and got the cruise control set on 80 mph. I notice a group (4) of bobber/rat bike harley riders coming up on me at about 85 mph, the right lane is clear and the've basically got the whole state of Nevada open to pass but instead they creep right up on my ass literally two feet behind me and stay there for about ten minutes, yes I can be stubborn too. Finally I decide I'm capable of being the bigger man and proceed to move to the right lane but first I put the pedal to the floor and wind her up to about 110 mph then put the turn signal on and change lanes. Wouldn't you know it, they stayed right on my ass all they way up to 110. Once in the right lane I let off the gas to resume my previous speed they passed me each giving me the evil eye as I looked to them with no expression on my face thinking *******S! That is when I noticed the HA colors, if you treat others with disrespect does that warrant respect? I don't think so.

I don't give the HA guys respect....but I do give them their own space.....I have a wife and kids, so I'll let them enjoy their slow bikes and ugly chicks.

V-Max!

You're kidding right? I don't care if you were doing over the ton, if you were in the "fast"(left) lane you were wrong.....period!

The fast(left lane in the states) is for passing.....not for you to "cruise" in and hold up traffic; no matter the speed or speed limit. It's riders/drivers like you that cause unnecessary road rage. You're damn lucky those Hell's Angels didn't teach you a painful lesson.

I'm sorry to be so abrupt, but there is absolutely no excuse to be hanging out in the left lane; especially with other vehicles approaching you from behind. You should have immediately(since you indicated the right lane was clear) pulled over into the right lane and allowed the riders to pass you IN THE PASSING LANE!!

Ok, I'm off my soap box now.

Most states have a Ride on the Right, Pass on the Left law or Stay Right except to pass law. The ones that don't SHOULD!
I follow that rule no matter what state i am in. I would have run up on you also, but only since flying by someone on the side they don't expect could be dangerous.

Back