Question about hard braking?

jessup

Just because the dog eats it doesnt mean
Donating Member
Registered
Quick question... Over labor day weekend I almost got taken out... I was on 422 heading towards route 76... There was an accident up ahead and they had closed down the road... Now the left lane is pretty much open but the right lane is stopped... So I am puttering around 30 mph in the left lane when this jag off gets it into his head to go from the right lane to the crossthrough in the median... I was around 20 to 30 feet from him going aprox 30 mph and had to emergency brake around him... Needless to say I left some skid marks (on the ground) and made it around him.  But my bike stuttered and died and then was a little difficult to restart... The question after all of this is could I have done some damage from braking that hard... Not sure if I got the clutch pulled in in a timely fashion...
E

Nah, I think the bike just died. No different than stopping at the light and forgetting to pull the clutch in.

On a side note, I can see a few mistakes you made.

1. Left lane empty and the right one - all stopped traffic. This is not a question whether, but when some idiot is going to pull out. So you gotta be ready (slow down, cover the brake, etc.)

2. Get your brake lever covered all the time, especially in the iffy situation you are coming on. Will save you 1/2 sec of reaction time..

3. What the heck are skid marks? Did you really use your rear brake for emergency braking? FRONT ONLY!

4. Forgot to pull the clutch in, ha? Gotta practice and make it a reflex. I would add downshifting on top of that. Cause when you are almost stopped, more often than not, you need to get the heck out of that spot. Being stuck in 3rd gear is going to stall your engine.

Don't mean to come down on ya, just using you as an illustration.

On the final note, very glad you stayed up and came out alright! That's all that matters.
smile.gif

Yeah I have already replayed it in my head a bunch of times... I do use the rear brake in conjunction with the front.... Comes from riding more moto cross than street for most of my life... I have been phasing it out but it is a hard habit to break... I can ride a skid for a pretty long time but only an idiot does it on a sport bike and doesn't try to break the habit.

As always I appreciate any input even chastisment
smile.gif

Damage, Nan, you can't hurt the engine or tranie that slow. I wouldn't let it bother me  
wink.gif

(IG. @ Sep. 07 2006,16:38) Nah, I think the bike just died. No different than stopping at the light and forgetting to pull the clutch in.

On a side note, I can see a few mistakes you made.

1. Left lane empty and the right one - all stopped traffic. This is not a question whether, but when some idiot is going to pull out. So you gotta be ready (slow down, cover the brake, etc.)

2. Get your brake lever covered all the time, especially in the iffy situation you are coming on. Will save you 1/2 sec of reaction time..

3. What the heck are skid marks? Did you really use your rear brake for emergency braking? FRONT ONLY!

4. Forgot to pull the clutch in, ha? Gotta practice and make it a reflex. I would add downshifting on top of that. Cause when you are almost stopped, more often than not, you need to get the heck out of that spot. Being stuck in 3rd gear is going to stall your engine.

Don't mean to come down on ya, just using you as an illustration.

On the final note, very glad you stayed up and came out alright! That's all that matters.
smile.gif
IG.

I couldn't agree more on #1

Here in Rhode Island when I'm cruising up the highway I can almost start timing when some idiot is going to change lanes instantly. You can see it mostly when someone is tailgating the car in front of them in the middle or right lane.

I'm waiting with my hand on the brake as I come up to within a few hundred feet and bam instant lane shift. I'm always looking out for and expecting things like this when I'm out riding anywhere.

I don't think I could get my rear tire to lock up if I stood on the break lever. Not to worried about it because I use the rear brake minimaly when stopping.

My motto is always assume other drivers will not be looking out for you or anyone.

I never ride care free. Always scanning the traffic and situations around me.

Jessup glad you didn't go down that's all that matters. Just be ready for anything when ever you ride.

Hi Jessup,

If you're really concerned if you did any damage, simply look at your rotors. Run your hands over them and see if you can feel any grooving. That's about the only thing I can think of where you might possibly see any impact from what happened.

In all honesty though, I know these bikes can really take a beating, and I doubt you did anything harmful to the bike. Mine has stalled on me in quick stops in the past too. The only thing that really got hurt was my ego (having to restart while people were looking at me).

Regards,

BUSAFETT

Back