Question about E 85

Johnnie Phatt

Registered
I am sure this has been covered but I am a ludite with search features and such
A question for when I ride down south again And it can not be soon enough
up here in Canada we have gas that has a max 10 percent ethanol in it (and we believe that because the Govt would never lie to us. NO Not at all )
We do not call it E anything we just call it regular or mid or premium gas
I see your fuel called E 85
the question is Does that mean the fuel you are buying is 85 percent ethanol?
Is this normal or just in certain states and is it basically what I would call gas but with a LOT of ethanol in it?
Thanks
jp

up here in Canada we have gas that has a max 10 percent ethanol in it (and we believe that because the Govt would never lie to us. NO Not at all )
Is this normal or just in certain states and is it basically what I would call gas but with a LOT of ethanol in it?
Thanks
jp
E85 is allegedly 85 percent ethanol and for hybrid cars. Our regular, mid grade, and premium all have a "max" of 10 percent ethanol as well JP. E85 isn't at every gas station but it is at a lot of them just be sure to pay attention before filing up cause u wouldn't want a tank of that e85 in a bike not tuned for it. They usually have it marked pretty well at least around me.

yes is gas blended with corn alcohol.
E85 is not always 85% I believe in winter it will be around 60% here in Iowa. Says legally it can be 51% and sold as E85 in US.

I run my bike on E85
More out of curiosity than the likely hood I will be able to get some. What are the advantages More Power Cleaner running?I am assuming o can modify the FI to run it with a PCV

men?

that E85 - theme is a nonsense from the first moment on.

the heck
bread, made of "corn/wheat and so on", belongs as food on a plate but never into the tank - my view ;)

men?

that E85 - theme is a nonsense from the first moment on.

the heck
bread, made of "corn/wheat and so on", belongs as food on a plate but never into the tank - my view ;)
I always knew your bread was much better than ours. I never knew you folks put corn in your bread?
200.gif

Thanks
jp
US law requires gasoline to contain 10% ethanol. There should be a yellow sticker on the pump which indicates the octane rating and a statement that it contains 10% ethanol. In some locations across the US, gasoline stations may sell E85 which is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline and the pump must be labelled as such.

US law requires gasoline to contain 10% ethanol. There should be a yellow sticker on the pump which indicates the octane rating and a statement that it contains 10% ethanol. In some locations across the US, gasoline stations may sell E85 which is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline and the pump must be labelled as such.
It isn't required to have ethanol, but there are some regulations that require some amount or percentage of gasoline sold to have ethanol. I believe the regulations are based on oxygenation content. This became the norm when MTBE was eliminated at the pump. Here in my town in Iowa we have 87, 91 and 93 octane with no ethanol. I run the 87 in all my small engines. We have E10, E15, E85 and E40 available, in that order of availability. I run E10 in my daily driver and 91 or 93 non-ethanol in my classic cars.

Hi

What about N/A builds?
x98 still beat all other ethanol brands?
HI. I would only run E 85 in a car with flex fuel capable fuel system. VP X98 but you have to tune for it. If you have a fuel system that can flow a lot of fuel go with VP M1. You would need a fuel from DME the mechanical one $925.00 and AN 6 fuel lines.

It isn't required to have ethanol, but there are some regulations that require some amount or percentage of gasoline sold to have ethanol. I believe the regulations are based on oxygenation content. This became the norm when MTBE was eliminated at the pump. Here in my town in Iowa we have 87, 91 and 93 octane with no ethanol. I run the 87 in all my small engines. We have E10, E15, E85 and E40 available, in that order of availability. I run E10 in my daily driver and 91 or 93 non-ethanol in my classic cars.
Thanks for the clarification Dennis. I live in CT so due to air pollution regulations, it's very difficult to locate ethanol free gasoline from the pump. MTBE was the most used around the late 90's or so as an oxygenator additive to gasoline but it was found to have a high affinity for ground water (and subsequently polluting it) when gasoline leaked from underground storage tanks. Ethanol replaced MTBE.

HI. I would only run E 85 in a car with flex fuel capable fuel system. VP X98 but you have to tune for it. If you have a fuel system that can flow a lot of fuel go with VP M1. You would need a fuel from DME the mechanical one $925.00 and AN 6 fuel lines.
Be careful with recommending M1. It’s not a good fuel for street use. Stock ignition systems won’t light it off, and lastly you need to keep on top of your maintenance. Because you have to flow so much fuel, the downside is getting really bad fuel dilution in the oil.

For example, I tuned a turbo grudge bike on M1 a few months back. After 4-5 dyno pulls we had to change the oil because we started losing oil pressure.

also, in cooler temperatures you’ll need to preheat the oil because the fuel burns so cold, you won’t see anything close to any useable engine temp without the preheat.

Be careful with recommending M1. It’s not a good fuel for street use. Stock ignition systems won’t light it off, and lastly you need to keep on top of your maintenance. Because you have to flow so much fuel, the downside is getting really bad fuel dilution in the oil.

For example, I tuned a turbo grudge bike on M1 a few months back. After 4-5 dyno pulls we had to change the oil because we started losing oil pressure.

also, in cooler temperatures you’ll need to preheat the oil because the fuel burns so cold, you won’t see anything close to any useable engine temp without the preheat.

What about N/A builds?
x98 still beat all other ethanol brands?

Back