question about buying/selling here on the .Org....need your opinion

Devil Dog

Donating Member
Registered
Here is the scenario:

I have a part for sale.
I advertise it in the classified section here on H.Org.
You want the part.
We agree on a price.
You PayPal me the agreed upon funds.
Payment received.
I ship the part. (with no tracking number)
The part is lost.
You never receive part.

Thanks for your input
DD

I think i'd try to make it right somehow. You admit you received the $$. If you'd tracked it you'd have proof (and insured if it was worth more than you were willing to lose).

Just my opinion.

I think you should wait out and see if the guy files a problem with paypal. That way you know he actually never received the part. If he really did not get it then I think you should refund him his money. You are responsible for the part. Ask yourself this if you shipped the part first and never received money would you want the part back?

It's my opinion; That I, the seller am responsible for the part's shipping, tracking, and receipt, to the address of the buyer.
The part should also be well packaged and within a timely manner.

I have learned always with a tracking # and if the part is worth much...always insure for double.

Most insure for value...think like this for a minute, ...I sell you $100 part..you pay..I ship ....they lose/destroy...., If I only insured for $100...I refund you your $$, but I am still out, no part or $$. So if I insure for double..they loose part...we both get our money.

I have been there. Had a member sell me a tank bag from CA. even tracked it, showed getting to San Antonio...then lost. He refunded me my $$, but he was still out the part.

I have learned always with a tracking # and if the part is worth much...always insure for double.

Most insure for value...think like this for a minute, ...I sell you $100 part..you pay..I ship ....they lose/destroy...., If I only insured for $100...I refund you your $$, but I am still out, no part or $$. So if I insure for double..they loose part...we both get our money.

I have been there. Had a member sell me a tank bag from CA. even tracked it, showed getting to San Antonio...then lost. He refunded me my $$, but he was still out the part.

So should I refund the money or tell him he is screwed?

I hate to say it without knowing the amount of the part (but that should not make any difference), but refund. No amount of money worth your reputation should buyer come here and malign you. Chalk it up to lesson learned.

Technically you never shipped the part by the business model of all other online auction sites.. I hate this part of online commerce.. you dropped the ball and now gotta eat it IMHO... (a couple bucks is a small price to confirm delivery)

No tracking # ??? How can you ship a part and not have one...or some sort of receipt ???

The buyer paid the $$$ and you need to make it right...there has to be some sort of tracking to ship ANYTHING and with the tracking # you would have a conformation on the delivery. If a part was paid for and no part was received...then have the shipping co. investigate what happen...no parts, then somebody needs to receive a refund :rulez:

I always put myself in there shoes I agree with your above post that the seller is responsible for the shipping and stuff
Posted via Mobile Device

So should I refund the money or tell him he is screwed?

Without tracking...can there even be assurance the part did not arrive? (not picking at you), but in any case. Tracking #'s help both parties.

I know if I bought something and it never arrived...I would want my $$ back.

Even on USPS priority mail there is a type of tracking # even without delivery confirmation on the receipt.

did he send you the money? is there proof?
did you receive the money? is there proof?
did you ship it the goods? is there proof?
did he receive the goods? is there proof?

I think you as the person who received the funds should return the funds unless there is proof other wise. sorry man, just the way I feel.

Here is the scenario:

I have a part for sale.
I advertise it in the classified section here on H.Org.
You want the part.
We agree on a price.
You PayPal me the agreed upon funds.
Payment received.
I ship the part. (with no tracking number)
The part is lost.
You never receive part.

Thanks for your input
DD

Who did you ship the part with ??? How did the buyer send you the funds???

always insure and always add delivery confirmation, small price to pay for peace of mind unless of course the price is so small that you won't mind eating it.

In my mind it's the sellers responsibility to make sure the item arrives, if it doesn't then the seller should be the one responsible for covering. That's what good customer service is all about.

With this scenerio you are faced with another dilema. It's possible the person received the part but is telling you different. If so how would you ever prove different?

always insure and always add delivery confirmation, small price to pay for peace of mind unless of course the price is so small that you won't mind eating it.

In my mind it's the sellers responsibility to make sure the item arrives, if it doesn't then the seller should be the one responsible for covering. That's what good customer service is all about.

With this scenerio you are faced with another dilema. It's possible the person received the part but is telling you different. If so how would you ever prove different?

There is NO DOUBT in my mind that the part was not received.

Unless they put a .42 stamp on it there is a number on their receipt.

did he send you the money? is there proof?
did you receive the money? is there proof?
did you ship it the goods? is there proof?
did he receive the goods? is there proof?

I think you as the person who received the funds should return the funds unless there is proof other wise. sorry man, just the way I feel.

Sounds fair. Anytime I ship thru USPS I add a delivey confirmation #. I think its only about 35 cents extra. That way I have proof that it was shipped to there address. If it ends up getting lost in the mail or they say they did not get it thats there problem. But you should atleast have proof of shipping it to the senders address.

Back