Question about buying a USED NON titled bike.

Falcon Wing

Registered
I found a bike in another state that the owner bought NEW and has never titled.

How would I go about getting it titled in my state after I would buy it?

Thanks for any info.

Varies from state to state. Best bet would be to go to your DMV and ask them.
If it's past 30 days or so, there will be a penalty to be paid by someone.
Screwed up title, be very careful, you can easily get yourself into a real nightmare.
Unless it's just a deal of a lifetime, I'd look somewhere else.

Why would you buy a new bike and never title it? Does he technicaly even own it?

Like they said, be carefull. Something aint right there. If he never titled it and bought it from a dealer, it's still in their inventory. Sounds like it may be(should I say), Yea I'll say, Stolen. I'd find out the info before I bought it. Just my opinion. Good Luck.

All bikes come from the factory with a Manufacturers Statement of Origin. (MSO) If you buy the bike outright, then they hand you the MSO during the purchase. If you just transferred your tag and never take the MSO to the County Clerks office to get your title, then you have a bike with no title. I would go to your county clerks office and inquire what to do....after you get the story from the owner why.

MSOs can be replaced, but not sure on the time limit.

I just went thru this with a trailer I bought. The first owner bought the trailer from the manufacturer and never registered it. Two years later he sells it to me, I knew that would be a problem so I made him go to the DMV with me.

He had to register the trailer in his name and get a title issued to him and then transfer that title to me. The kicker.....The state of Arizona made him pay the new owner tax as if he just bought it new.

Then I bought it from him used and they transferred the title into my name.

Someone is going to want that state tax that was never paid.

He wanted me to take the MSO to the DMV and register it in my name, but that is not possible because the MSO was made out to him....He wasnt the brightest bulb in the box.

****Every state will have their own rules.

Last edited:
I just went thru this with a trailer I bought. The first owner bought the trailer from the manufacturer and never registered it. Two years later he sells it to me, I knew that would be a problem so I made him go to the DMV with me.

He had to register the trailer in his name and get a title issued to him and then transfer that title to me. The kicker.....The state of Arizona made him pay the new owner tax as if he just bought it new.

He wanted me to take the MSO to the DMV and register it in my name, but that is not possible because the MSO was made out to him....He wasnt the brightest bulb in the box.

****Every state will have their own rules.

Thanks for that post....the bike is in Arizona, and I am in Colorado.

In Ohio a dealer cannot legally issue you a title directly. The paperwork must go through their local DMV which sends it to you. This prevents fraud, theft etc. Like everyone is saving if it's too good to be true....Wardie

You don't get it titled because you don't buy it!

I love when these questions come up. If it's so EASY and nothing is wrong THE OWNER WOULD HAVE ALREADY ACQUIRED THE TITLE.

It's not worth the couple hundred or thousand dollars you'll save when the police come and get it in a year and tell you your SOL.

+1 same thing happened with me when i sold my used ZX-7 years ago. I kept the bike long enough to ride on the temp tags then sold it. I had to title it in my name before selling, then transferred it to the new owner. its a easy transistion i would go ahead with the purchase but that law applies here in TX

Back