ques on possible worn chain need help

nolo263

Registered
hopefully somebody can give me an answer my chain is making a funny noise while riding i noticed the other day when i drove my bike around the block without a helmet it makes something like a grinding noise i guess every so many revolutions of the tire not sure how many tommorrow im gonna put it on the stand and spin the tire to try and pinpoint sound has anyone had this happen to them? by the way my bike has 6000 miles on stock chain. thanks for replies

Grinding? Crap...that can't be a good sound.

Check the chain slack. It should only have a couple of millimeters of play. Also check your sprockets...they could be worn. Or warped. Dunno.

Get that figured out ASAP. No need to wreck because of a bad chain.

have you adjusted your chain in the 6000 mile time frame?

could just be a loose chain....

that sound hasn't happen on my busa yet.

Sounds like one of two conditions without knowing some more info....
1. Chain is dirty, needs cleaned (plus adjusted)
2. Chain is beyond the limits of MM..... (Gotta replace it and the sprockets).

Start with the first one, unless your positive its outside of the limits in the Suzuki MM.

Get it to the dealer,hopefully the chain just needs to be cleanen,libed and adjusted.:)

Your chain should not be worn out in 6K miles. How well you maintain your chain has a direct reflection on it's life span. I would guess it's just to slack and it's slapping the bottom of the swing arm. However, when you adjust it, make sure you leave plenty of slack, at least one inch. It's much better to have it a little slack than too tight. Tight chain causes problems!

I had a similar experience recently. I put my bike on stands and put her in first gear. I noticed a warped look in the chain every revolution. I had roller bearing missing from my master link so I replaced the chain and sprockets and the problem was solved.

Make sure your rear wheel is properly aligned.

Put 'er on the stand, roll the rear wheel through a few revolutions watching for any "tight spots" in the chain as far as adjustment is concerned. If the chain slack changes significantly, you have probably found your problem. 6K is really early for chain and sprockets, but that depends on how it was cared for and what enviroment it has been used in. Sounds like mine when it needed replaced, but I managed to get 18K out of mine. If you need a chain get an X-ring for low maintenance and durabilty. If you don't mind lubing at the end of each ride, just get a regular chain of the correct size and strength and save a buck. plan on replacing the sprockets as well no matter how good they seem to look. If you don't you may find yourself facing the same problem in short order.

Back