Putting this country's debt into terms we can understand

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Someone sent me this, and it's worth sharing. All the big numbers get confusing, so how about explaining this to the common household?
---------

Federal Budget 101

The U.S. Congress sets a federal budget every year in the trillions of dollars. Few people know how much money that is so we created a breakdown of federal spending in simple terms. Let's put the 2011 federal budget into perspective:

• U.S. income: $2,170,000,000,000
  • Federal budget: $3,820,000,000,000
  • New debt: $ 1,650,000,000,000
  • National debt: $14,271,000,000,000
  • Recent budget cut: $ 38,500,000,000 (about 1 percent of the budget)
It helps to think about these numbers in terms that we can relate to. Let's remove eight zeros from these numbersand pretend this is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family.

• Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
  • Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
  • Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
  • Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710
  • Amount cut from the budget: $385
So in effect last month Congress, or in this example the Jones family, sat down at the kitchen table and agreed to cut $385 from its annual budget. What family would cut $385 of spending in order to solve $16,500 in deficit spending?

It is a start, although hardly a solution.

Now after years of this, the Jones family has $142,710 of debt on its credit card (which is the equivalent of the national debt).

You would think the Jones family would recognize and address this situation, but it does not. Neither does Congress.

The root of the debt problem is that the voters typically do not send people to Congress to save money. They are sent there to bring home the bacon to their own home state.

To effect budget change, we need to change the job description and give Congress new marching orders.

It is awfully hard (but not impossible) to reverse course and tell the government to stop borrowing money from our children and spending it now.

In effect, what we have is a reverse mortgage on the country. The problem is that the voters have become addicted to the money. Moreover, the American voters are still in the denial stage, and do not want to face the possibility of going into rehab.

--------
WE have GOT to do something about this now, where there is enough political will to do so. When the economy improves, nobody will have the will to rock the boat for fear of capsizing it, while all the time there's a big hole in the hold...

To make it more real, we will need to add dozens of illegal aliens in the front yard of the Jones house. If Mr Jones asks politely for them to go back to their own yard, he is called horrible names as a technique to mask the truth. In fact Mr. Jones must feed, house and give the illegal aliens free band-aids. Mr Jones understands the squatters have totally mismanaged their own yard. but Mr Jones can trim his own bushes, and does not feel it is his job to provided a new yard to the illegal invaders.

This growing additional pressure on Mr Jones budget makes is almost impossible to reduce his dept, and take care of his own family. As a result, parts of Mr Jones yard has became a horrible place, very similar to the invaders own yard, which they fled in the first place!

To make it more real, we will need to add dozens of illegal aliens in the front yard of the Jones house. If Mr Jones asks politely for them to go back to their own yard, he is called horrible names as a technique to mask the truth. In fact Mr. Jones must feed, house and give the illegal aliens free band-aids. Mr Jones understands the squatters have totally mismanaged their own yard. but Mr Jones can trim his own bushes, and does not feel it is his job to provided a new yard to the illegal invaders.

This growing additional pressure on Mr Jones budget makes is almost impossible to reduce his dept, and take care of his own family. As a result, parts of Mr Jones yard has became a horrible place, very similar to the invaders own yard, which they fled in the first place!

Fail.:whistle:

I had this big long reply typed up but then I just cut it to this

and that is why I stay out of these kinds of threads......:rofl:

Question....

If you can answer this correctly, you can answer the question on what action to take on raising the Federal debt ceiling.

You come home from work and find there has been a sewer backup and you have sewage up to your ceiling.

What do you do……raise the ceiling, or pump out the poop?

I dont want to get into MORE trouble for posting
naughty words .... again....:whistle:

... but if anyone put (cut and paste)

Real Sh*t: Felonious Munk Presents "Stop It B! OBAMA PAY YOUR F*ckin BILL"

into google it wouldnt be my fault !

WARNING: Naughty sweary words.

Dumbest thing I've ever heard was when our VP said (talking about the Debt Limit) , We need to BORROW more money to get out of Debt" !!!!! Duhhhhhhhhh :duh: which went along with Nancy P saying, " The unemployment checks really help the economy" :huh: . What World do these people come from :oops:

This morning, there was talk on the Radio about Rick Perry and the things he's had to do to Texas' budget (being critical), and how would he answer that in a debate with Obama...

My answer would be "At least I've HAD to balance one".....

Dumbest thing I've ever heard was when our VP said (talking about the Debt Limit) , We need to BORROW more money to get out of Debt" !!!!! Duhhhhhhhhh :duh: which went along with Nancy P saying, " The unemployment checks really help the economy" :huh: . What World do these people come from :oops:

I suspect you and me are about to lose our retirement....and I won't see a check until I'm 65 now I doubt I ever will....

I suspect you and me are about to lose our retirement....and I won't see a check until I'm 65 now I doubt I ever will....

Scaring all of us beyond reason...its a government bait and switch. It is absolutely beyond my understanding how anyone can relate our job with something in the corporate world.

Naaaaaaaaaa, we'll get our Retirement, but the Dem's NOW WANT to have the Military Retirement in a 401 K style arrangement. You contribute and the Government Contributes. UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I think I contributed by STAYING IN FOR 30 years, being overseas (without the wif-ie) for over 22 of those and NOT taking a MUCH HIGHER PAYING AND SAFER CIVILIAN JOB. These guys are going to NOT only destroy our Nations Economy, but they are going to destroy the BEST MILITARY IN HISTORY ::::::::: PERIOD !!!

I'am quiting before I get REALLY Ticked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back