Putting the front wheel back on...

Juggler

Techie Answer Guy
Donating Member
Registered
I've got the forks on, and am putting on the front wheel and the brakes are on.

When I had the brakes off, the wheel spun fairly well. Now that the brakes are on, the wheel doesn't spin as freely. Is there a way to tell if it's too tight or not?

Thanks. I'm scared WITLESS (self edit there) about riding around, and having the wheel come off. Not likely, but I'm always thinking worst-case...

you call phone me, or I'll phone you...or I can try and explain,
If you want a call...pm me yer #

there will always be some drag on the rotors by the pads NORMAL.
If eveything went backtogether fine,you'll be fine.

The busa has floating rotors,so the calipers should be tight.
There's really no way to install incorrectly,really. Make sure yer hose routing isn't putting the squeeze on. etc .

The front wheel axle is designed to stop going together when its tight enuff(its 2 piece),the caps hold it in place.

All I can think to do it put a wide blade screwdriver in between the pads and rotors and give a little turn to push the caliper pistons back into their holes,releasing the drag on the rotors.(not a hard twist,dont damage the pads). Now spin the wheel. Should spin nice. Know apply f brake.The dragging noise/feeling should be back

Very good explanation Rubs
wink.gif

One thing I've learned from the track junkies is...

After you get everything assembled and in place, and have "snugged" the front axle, then loosen the axle pinch bolts on BOTH forks. Once they're loosened, get on the bike and bounce the front up and down a few times to cycle the forks and let everything align itself. Now go back and tighten the left hand axle pinch bolts to spec, then torque the axle to spec, then tighten the right hand pinch bolts to spec. This should have everything aligned the way it needs to be.

As far as brake drag, RSD is correct, there will be "some" light drag, but the wheel should still turn pretty freely. If you've bled the brakes, and the caliper pistons are still grabbing a bit...no worries...when you start riding just take it easy and the rotors will push them back in on their own.

Be sure to test your brakes BEFORE you obtain much speed and then every so often as you increase speed. You don't want to be going 50 mph and then find out you have no brakes.

Warning: If you pry the pads back away from the rotors, then the first time you go to apply the brakes, it will take a couple of pumps on the lever to get them moved back out and into contact with the rotors. People have crashed at the track when the forgot about this and remembered as they couldn't slow down for a turn. Like RSD said...reapply the front brake after prying them back. Do this until your get a firm lever again.

Good Luck
cool.gif

Nice explanation there Rubbah,

I see that you are post ho'ing your replys too
laugh.gif

Jeez, these new moderators
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|Glyn
Reason for Edit: "still can't spell"|1137802411 -->

That crash must have affected Rubbah's brain more than we thought
wink.gif

I hope he gets better soon