Put the first 600 miles on the new Busa this week, some observations

masterblaster

Registered
Nice powerful bike, the Red color rocks, can be dangerous while getting used to the power and FF helmet. Put the risers on and feel a bit of a buzz in bars, nothing major, will cure with progrips. Just installed the mirror extenders, no other mods needed there. Definitely need the seat reworked to fit my butt, starts getting numb at 150 miles, will send to Mean City Cycles on the 21st of Apr and get it form fitted with memory foam. Missed the mailman with the Buell pegs today, will be nice even though my knees and legs are adjusting to the stocker pegs/position already. Picked up a front and rear stand for basic maint. Changed oil twice already, will change again at 1000 miles then take it for service(prob next week). Changed to synthetic as soon as I bought the bike home from dealer with 120 miles on it and again at 300 miles, will do filter change next (K&N 138). Set the suspension this morning, it was not far off. Checked tire pressure, was over by 5 lbs at 47 psi vs manual recommend of 42 front & rear. The stock exhaust is growing on me, I know everyone changes them out but I actually like the look, I might re-baffle them for some sound but I will wait a bit to look into that. Am thinking about adding fork lights just for visibility from other drivers. Other than the mentioned mods I cant see this bike needing anything more. I went to buy a 2012 ZX 14 but "settled" for the Busa, I made the right choice.

Tire PSI is rated at MAXIMUM load. Are you that big of a person? Lower the tire PSI 2-3. Most run em around 36-38 cold
K&N oil filters are ranked at the bottom of the list.
If you like the stock dump truck muffler look into the shortening mod it makes the sound much deeper.

You cant go wrong with the busa. I bought a 2011 last year after riding a 2006 for 3 years. If you need more wind protection I would recommend a double bubble windscreen. Also I would stick with OEM oil filters( i just like these filters cant go wrong with OEM plus they are less expensive at my dealer). Check with Justin at Honda East Toledo(site sponsor) he can get you a gel seat for a great price. Congrats. :thumbsup:

Never enough time, tomorrow is Harley day, will do a nice 300 - 400 mile ride for breakfast and a small town Rally in Indiantown Fla. Being pragmatic I know I have to work to pay for these habits I have but it does suck, I might start playing the lottery. Didn't know anything was wrong with K&N, been using them for years on my other bikes, is this a Suzuki specific issue or a general observation? I live in Fla, the gel seat will be like dipping my ass in a deep fryer if I park the bike outside in this sun, thanks for the suggestions.

Glad you're getting some saddle time in.

my garage.jpg

Never enough time, tomorrow is Harley day, will do a nice 300 - 400 mile ride for breakfast and a small town Rally in Indiantown Fla. Being pragmatic I know I have to work to pay for these habits I have but it does suck, I might start playing the lottery. Didn't know anything was wrong with K&N, been using them for years on my other bikes, is this a Suzuki specific issue or a general observation? I live in Fla, the gel seat will be like dipping my ass in a deep fryer if I park the bike outside in this sun, thanks for the suggestions.

There isn't anything wrong with K&N oil filters.
Myself and countless other have been using them for years with zero issues.
It's also nice that they have the nut made onto the case, it makes taking them off easy.:thumbsup:

glad you're enjoying her and getting her set up for the way you like to ride :beerchug:

Looking Good I notice red is the color of choice :thumbsup: The busa is looking small parked between the 2. Ride Safe.

Is it me or is 3 oil changes excessive in the first 1000 miles? All of these with synthetic oil? :dunno:
Expensive...

Not excessive but maybe obsessive :)
Which there is nothing wrong with. I've been known to drive or ride vehicles home and change the oil in the first few miles.

cheferman65 said:
Is it me or is 3 oil changes excessive in the first 1000 miles? All of these with synthetic oil? :dunno:
Expensive...

I changed mine at 50 miles, 300 miles and went synthetic at 900. I never go past 50 for the first change on a new bike. Oil is cheap insurance to me.

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

Yeah, I am a paranoid oil changer, my wife tried an intervention with the whole family once but the manager of Auto Zone wrote me a letter of support so I continue on my merry "oil changing" ways. In all seriousness, I do this with every internal combustion engine I buy, even the weed whacker, I work in the industry and spent some time in our lube division so yeah I am a little obsessive. It is expensive up front but I minimize expense by buying the cheapest synthetic lube that meets the min spec and work my way up the quality chain til I hit Mobil 1 15- 50 / 20-50 V / 10-40 MC oil. Usually go Shell Rotella, a good 5-40 syn oil that is cheap, then Valvoline MC Syn then Mobl 1(not advocation one oil or another this is what i just do with MY bikes.

The Busa has the most powerful heart, it is the smallest though, by far, the Harleys are built and can do wheelies, the little one can do through 3rd gear, the big just second, but the Busa is faster in 3rd just cruising than either Harley maxed out.

Expensive...

Back