Put bike in gear and it dies

Nut1080

Registered
I just purchased my first busa 2000 model I drove it for 10 min left it idle for 15 min when I put it in gear it dies and a chec light comes on and the temp gauge goes to hot . Even if it's not running in nuetral reads cold click gear shifter into gear temp goes to hot and check light comes on

Sounds like the kickstand is down and/or kickstand sensor is faulty.
Chec light on and temp to hot are normal when ignition is on and engine is not running.

Chec light on and temp to hot are normal when ignition is on and engine is not running.

Exactly. The bike will not run if it is in gear and the kickstand is down. It's a safety feature. If the bike is already running in "Neutral" with the kickstand down, and you put it into gear before putting the kickstand up, it will automatically kill the engine.

The kickstand switch is the small plunger looking mechanism at the top of the kickstand. That's where I would look first, assuming it isn't operator error. :laugh:

And......never let your bike idle for 15 minutes unless you want it to overheat.

Kick stand switch for sure!

Surely looks like a kick stand was still down when you slotted it into gear. Happened to me when i bought by busa new from the dealer. I was horrified looking at the temp needle rise to max. A little later sense prevailed and i put the stand up .

ha ha.....did the same thing the first time i rode her. stopped for gas and when done pumping, popped in gear and dead. did this about 4-5 times with a WTF!!! look on my face, till i realized what was going on. :banghead:

I just purchased my first busa 2000 model I drove it for 10 min left it idle for 15 min when I put it in gear it dies and a chec light comes on and the temp gauge goes to hot . Even if it's not running in nuetral reads cold click gear shifter into gear temp goes to hot and check light comes on
You must be old school lol, bikes have been coming with kickstand switches for a long time now. My 86 Ninja 1000R had the same setup. I bypassed a couple in my day, but anymore I just replace them if they go bad, I actually like having them on there.

Or maybe he wasnt pulling in the clutch and just clicking her down into first? :rofl:
Lets not over look the obvious here, I have heard of some real........ well I wont go there.:whistle:

my last bike was a 1987gsxr1100 didn't have that

Yea, neither did my last two Harley's or my 2008 Big Dog Mastiff ... Bought a Yamaha FZ6R last year that I took to Colorado for a ride through the mountains. We stopped in Estes Park, had lunch, and I thought my bike was in a bad state. Kept trying to take off in 1st gear and the bike would turn off. Funny thing, the 3 other guys thought the same thing .. Freeking kick stand was down. Yea, it's funny now :)

Back