Push pins not holding

Omega

Registered
I just finished my HID install, put everything back together, and went for a ride after dark.

They needed adjustment so I pulled the gauge cluster. Putting it back together, the large pins holding the lower gauge trim piece will lock but not hold (they fall out). The panel and surroundings are perfectly flush with one another. All the wiring was run behind the gauges so as not to interfere. I even tried new pins but to no avail.

What should I do? The center hex will hold the panel in place but cosmetically there are two holes there.

maybe the pins are broken?
these things? (got it from the pinned thread)
125133d1231044553-gen-2-fuse-access-pics-img_1054.jpg

maybe the the body of the pin has a broken piece and its not flaring open?

What about the possibility that at some point during install you got the pushpins mixed up ? You may be trying to put the wrong ones back in the wrong holes ? Not all the pushpins on the bike or in that area are the same size in diameter or LENGTH . My guess is you mixed em up ? Take another look at them and the others and see if the ones you are trying to put in those holes are not actually too small or too short ??

odd

well make sure the top panel and bottom panel are lined up.

when you put the push pin in make sure the top part and the body are separated. (2nd pic)

insert it into the hole and push the top down.

or what blanca said :laugh:

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

I had the same problem and in the very same spot. I went through 2 push pins (they just kept falling out). I finally solved it by going to Westlake hardware and getting an automobile body panel pin (in the section where they have specialty bolts) that was the right fit. Well, this pin was just slightly loose, so I also got a retainer (looks kinda like a washer with little cutouts in it). You can fit both these in the store to make sure you have the right size retainer. Then, on that particular panel, you can install the push pin in the panel and hold it there with one hand. With the other hand you can reach under the fairing and snap the retainer in place. This holds better than the original pin in my opinion. The push pin was .59 and the retainer was .29 so it was a pretty cheap fix. I'm sure this type of fix works only on the panel that you can get your hand behind.

I have had the same problem. Turns out you have to have the two pieces of plastic exactly aligned as you put the pin in or when the little "wings" of the fastener spread out they don't have anything to bite into. Very frustrating. Getting one of those auto fastners as suggested already is your best bet. I actually am using a plastic screw and I glued the plastic nut to the underside of the lower trim. Holds it better than the push pins and is easy to take off and put on.

The factory pushpins were used for a reason...cuz they work.
It came from the factory holding fine did it not ?
Yes..
So I still say you got them mixed up which I have done myself.
Try switching the pushpins from either the steering neck or underside of fairing and see if that works..

What about the possibility that at some point during install you got the pushpins mixed up ? You may be trying to put the wrong ones back in the wrong holes ? Not all the pushpins on the bike or in that area are the same size in diameter or LENGTH . My guess is you mixed em up ? Take another look at them and the others and see if the ones you are trying to put in those holes are not actually too small or too short ??

Ding, ding, ding! we have a winner!

It was with equal parts joy and humiliation that I discovered I was putting the wrong pins in there.:whistle:

Fits like a dream now:beerchug:

You guys rule, thanks for the help.

Ding, ding, ding! we have a winner!

It was with equal parts joy and humiliation that I discovered I was putting the wrong pins in there.:whistle:

Fits like a dream now:beerchug:

You guys rule, thanks for the help.

Most of it is just common sence. If the dong dont fit, it must be the wrong size.

Back