Puig or ZG DoubleBubble screens?

FJRider

Registered
I'm looking at the Zero Gravity and Puig DoubleBubble screens. Here's a question to all you that have seen both up close. I've only seen these in pictures, but it looks like the ZG DB screen has a "sharp" transition (seam) where it transitions to the upper bubble, where the Puig makes a smooth transition to the upper bubble. I would prefer to see a smooth transition rather than a seam. Am I seeing this correctly in the pictures?

No Seam on the Zero G's but there is a sharper transition. I have found that the sharper transition makes for a cleaner better finished looking product.

Problem with the Puig screens is that their tint is purple, not grey or smoke, Optically they are not very clean, and they actually come with a warning NOT to leave your bike in the sun with the screen on because it might melt your instruments, or fairing. So uh... Yeah, I do not sell Puig if I can help it. In my honest opinion they aren't a good choice.

Stick with Zero Gravity, and buy some electrical tape. All the Zero G Screens I have had (3 of them) and every Zero G I have sold has been well finished and by all accounts bolts up with no fuss..

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121971466 -->

Revlis - Thanks for your input. Sure don't like the "... NOT leaving your bike in the sun" bit! What's with the electric tape?

Problem with the Puig screens is that their tint is purple, not grey or smoke,   Optically they are not very clean, and they actually come with a warning NOT to leave your bike in the sun with the screen on because it might melt your instruments, or fairing.  So uh...  Yeah, I do not sell Puig if I can help it.  In my honest opinion they aren't a good choice.

[/QUOTE]

I cant speak for the tinted Puig screens but I dont see where this would be a problem with mine. As you can see on the foward part of my Puig windscreen its a solid opaque black.  Which totally blocks the direct sun rays from the gauges. As for being optically clear ! I believe most aftermarket windscreen are vaccumed formed (not injection) and use bascially the same material with variation in gauge thickness.    From my experience most aftermarket windscreens  are on the same page when it comes to clarity and I havent seen one yet thats as clear and waveless as the stock windscreen.

Just my observation !

post-6-38038-dsc02191.jpg

A view through my Puig windscreen. As my man Revlis has said, its not optically clear but I think most aftermarket windscreen are on the same page.
post-6-38446-dsc02192.jpg

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121991749 -->

i want a puig.  what version is that Rhythm? [/QUOTE]

Race version !  Dude this puppy was hard to come by. I must have contacted at least 6 retailer with no luck ( back order). But Kneedragger.com came through for a brutha and made some additional calls to get it for me withn minutes from talking with the other retailers. Dont ask me how Kneedragger did it, they just did.
super.gif

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121993790 -->

I had a ZG on the busa and I've had PUIG "race" screens on both Kawi's. Both PUIG screens have had better finish quality than the ZG I had. I have dark smoke and don't see this purple tint that Rev mentioned. Maybe light smoke or the clear (with tinted lower portion) is different?
rock.gif

I'll stay with PUIG for all my needs as long as they have them in stock. I wouldn't be against having another ZG on a bike but I prefer PUIG if I can get them. Just my $.02...

I've had many ZG's and imho?...PUIG is far and away a stronger, higher quality screen...(btw..there really isn't more distortion...it's just that the puig is THICKER and you're looking through more of it)..I love the puig touring on my busa.
biggrin.gif

PUIG1.jpg

PUIG2.jpg

And...I've recieve/recieved and continue to recieve many compliments regarding how cool it looks....including while attending the last busa bash....I love it.
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

biggrin.gif

Quote: "...and they actually come with a warning NOT to leave your bike in the sun with the screen on because it might melt your instruments, or fairing."

Puig owners, is this for real?
wow.gif

Quote: "...and they actually come with a warning NOT to leave your bike in the sun with the screen on because it might melt your instruments, or fairing."

wow.gif
Didn't see that in with my dark smoke screens, but I didn't sit down and read the lawyer stuff that came with it either.
wink.gif

BulletTrain
El Poco Loco...

Group: Members
Avg posts/day:14.97
Location: About to pass you on the inside... Posted: July 22 2005,15:51

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote (FJRider @ July 22 2005,10:30)

Didn't see that in with my dark smoke screens, but I didn't sit down and read the lawyer stuff that came with it either.
[/QUOTE]

Same here
idea.gif

Reading between the lines here..., sounds like the clear Puig's must act like some sort of magifying glass and mess up objects under it, when parked in direct sun?
rock.gif

I haven't had any issue with my Puig... the dark smoke is a smoke, not a purple as was said earlier, and there was no sticker or warning on mine about it melting the instruments at all. Nor have I had an issue with it doing so. Not sure where all that came from, but I can honestly say I haven't run into it at all.

I'm not sure about the Busa version but ZG Dub-Bub for the F4 I owned had the sun problem. It didn't come with the warning sticker but it did have the problem.

I thought the Puig warning was an urban myth, but I am looking at one now...

Zero Gravity screens are optically cleaner by far than Puig or OEM. They are made differently, they are thinner and some folks do wrongly equate thicker material with good, but this isn't neccessarily the case. Not all screens are made the same.

OH the Electrical tape? Because Zero Gravity's screens are thinner and the way the Busa screen mounts, you can get some vibration from the screen at certain RPM's. So You place a layer of electrical tape around the mounting tabs in front and along the sides and boom, no more vibes...

Back