PSA: Warning for new/recent home buyers

PandaNin

Donating Member
Registered
This might take a second to get to the point, but I think it's worth it...

A few months ago I bought a new house. My buddy liked the neighborhood so much, he bought two. One for his office and another to live in. All 3 houses were foreclosures that we got good deals on.

Friday night his "office" was broken into and burglarized. They got quite a few small things including quite a bit of cash. The flatscreen TVs and computers were untouched. <- that's important.

So the police came over Saturday morning to take the report. I was already there with him cause he discovered it and called me after the police. A window in the back of the house was broken but clearly was not the entry point. They broke the window into the tub and it was clear nobody could crawl through the 8" hole they left and they didn't break the sliding part of the window. No, they got in some other way.

At first we figured the front door was left unlocked, but that's really remote. This guy is very conscious of locking his doors. We were all pretty confused, how could they get in? Well, about that time we thought, hey, where's the garage door opener? In the car, like usual. Then the cop says, "did you reset the garage door when you bought it?"

My buddy says, "Sure, I bought this new garage door remote and synced it with the door opener". And we reach the moral of this story. This is Not Good Enough.

When you sync the remote with garage door opener it does not clear the history of the other remotes it "knows". You have to press the button for 6 seconds to clear it. Current working theory is that the previous owners, who were evicted, had their garage door remote, opened the garage and came on in Friday night. They had 4 teenage boys. Police say odds are the kids did it because the TVs were not taken. Hard for a teenager to bring home a new flatscreen TV or computer and explain to the parents.

They were able to get some fingerprints so we'll see what happens next.

So, for those of us who have recently bought a foreclosed house, or even a pre-owned house, go clear that garage door opener and resync to a new remote that you know nobody has a copy of.

That's weird I wonder if that's the case for only some brands? I had a remote go bad so I bought a new one and when I synced it to the opener my other 2 remotes would not work until I redid the sequence and programmed them all at the same time. Ours is a Craftsman.

I'm paranoid anyway so I always lock my garage when I leave. Plus I have security cameras around my house and inside as well as motion in every room and even in the garage..

Never had any issues in the past and my neighborhood is very safe with no crime since we moved in 3 years ago, BUT you can never be too careful..

Either way it sucks for him. Hope they find who did it.

Unfortunaly, there are also devices that throw many frequencys out. and people are driving down streets and opening doors. If the door isnt closed when they come back they figure noone is home. they knock on the door and run. if noone answeres they come back and rob the house.

That true my garage opener need to be clear the codes if you dont want the old openers to function, I can add other remotes but the old one still working also.

I hope they catch who broke in, but I wondering if they find out that the finger prints belong to someone who lived there before how can they be sure if it was before or after of moving out? They used to live there, so of course they find finger prints. Just wondering how will that work?

Unfortunaly, there are also devices that throw many frequencys out. and people are driving down streets and opening doors. If the door isnt closed when they come back they figure noone is home. they knock on the door and run. if noone answeres they come back and rob the house.

I heard of this also, is mess up, they always find some way to find out if anybody is home, sad...

Heard of this also.

Also, if you have a vehicle that has built in openers, dont forget to reset those before you trade it off. Our Denali had this feature and I had to go back to the dealer and clear the codes before I felt safe.

Yes indeed Keep them dead bolted from the inside the only safe way so yo have to get out of car or of bike to open doors isn't it worth the effort thats what I do feels much better every time I drive away

...go clear that garage door opener and resync to a new remote that you know nobody has a copy of.

Very first thing I did when my ex moved out of the house...and also immediately changed the locks.

so mine has dip switches on the door and remote, i have to set both, will it still remember the old code??? i cant see how???

with the finger prints, and knowing who the previous owners were, it wont be too hard to solve this case...

Yeah, the finger prints were on his glass desk. They were also on the front of it, where he never goes. Confidence is high that they belong to the perps and the police got a good set of them. Cross fingers the bad guys get caught.

If your garage door uses the DIP pins then you shouldn't need to worry, this is for those that don't.

Most of the quality brands have a lockout out feature to prevent this. If you have a rolling code opener it should be so equiped. There are several billion codes so a device would have to send out billions of codes to find the right one. However the opener will see several codes and disregard future codes for a while. This makes it very difficult for this to happen.

Most of these types of intrusions are from the older opener where the remote has dip switches to set the "code". most of these only have several hundered codes.

Still, the most common way to get in is using the opener in the car sitting in the driveway unlocked! :)

If your garage door uses the DIP pins then you shouldn't need to worry, this is for those that don't.

I'm not sure I agree with this but I'm willing to let you convince me.
If I had a opener with a remote using DIP switches or jumpers to set the code, I'd have to investigate further. The only ones I have seen have been in 15+ year old openers. If that is the case, I would:
1) disable the remote and add a newer add-on remote kit.
2) replace the entire opener.
3) or take other steps to secure the house.

This might take a second to get to the point, but I think it's worth it...

A few months ago I bought a new house. My buddy liked the neighborhood so much, he bought two. are you thinking about that neighborhood now?:banghead:

I love the neighborhood. We're pretty sure this is a case of the former homeowner breaking in. So far I have had no incidents nor heard of any others. Oh, and the police station is a block away. And I have two german shepherds that roam the house all day.

Yeah I agree with dogs. I have two 200lb mastiffs that roam as my alarm. Burglars are more then welcome to break in and have some fun lol
Posted via Mobile Device

With a foreclosed home make sure you also do the obvious and change the locks, almost every contractor in the country will have a key to the bank lock.

Back