Proud new owner of a 2003 Hayabusa

Gravity7

Registered
Just got my 2003 Hayabusa used 700 miles mint condition, this bike exceeded my expectations. Also it's the easiest bikes I ever ridden.. Haven’t had the opportunities to open it up because it’s still in the break in period. I’m extremely apprehensive to bring it in for service, I’m afraid they will scratch the hell out of it and let cousin bob take it for a spin. I think it would be in my best interest to do the oil / filter change my self. Any idea’s on what brand of oil I should run?

Still trying to figure out what oil to use on mine, so I can't provide any help on that. There are many opinions on this board that you may find helpful. Welcome to the board and enjoy the 'Busa!

I think it would be in your best interest to have them do the first 600 mile service if its under warranty there are things they inspect on that particular inspection that need to be checked off to validate your warranty, known bolts that loosen, adjustments etc. and you should have the shop that may do any warranty work perform the 600 mile and the 12000 mile inspection. it makes getting any warranty work okayed much easier....

Welcome! And ditto to the rest of it for the warranty, just wait there while they do it, and watch!!!
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1071013416 -->

Sweet ass and congratulations !! Regarding oil, at 10000 km, (6000 miles), I switched to semi-synthetic, my baby purrs like a kitten on it.

Welcome. I've got 5600 KMS on my 2003 black and grey Busa and still can't loose this grin.
biggrin.gif

Welcome, I would take the bike in for it's initial service. The folks are right, it's important to get that initial service done and have it on record with Suzuki. It's basically an overpriced oil change but it can pay dividends on the backside.

Welcome to the board.

Congrats on the new toy! Welcome to the board...
Post pics when you have the time!
biggrin.gif

Congrats Gravity. Don't adjust your visor, those blurrs of light are supposed to be there. The picture you are seeing (or will be seeing when you crack the throttle on your Busa) is not in your imagination. you've entered the Busa Zone! Welcome to light-speed!

Postal.

beerchug.gif

Blah blah warranty blah blah void blah blah. BS. Do the service yourself and rest assured that no one screwed with your baby or made an "oops". I trust very few with my bike plus it brings great pride in knowing that I maintain it myself. PLus you learn about your bike as you go.

But, the disclaimer, if you do not have the right tools and knowhow and/or are not willing to learn, take it to the shop. If you do it yourself, keep records of what you did , when, mileage, and keep receipts of supplies (oil, filters, etc.). That is to CYA.

For the first service, chainge the oil, the filter, check/adjust the chain, adjust the idle, then just give a thorough once over for loose bolts and check air pressure. As for oil suggestions you will get tons of advice on that one. General/conservative advice, use standard dino oil like HP4 (Honda) and a Suzuki filter for the first few oil changes. Then if you choose, LEARN about synthetics and make an educated decision on when to switch and what to use. I used HP4 for first 3 oil changes, now I use only Amsoil full synthetic and Suzuki filters. IMHO, synthetic is the way to go and makes the Busa run like a top but it is more expensive.

Again, LEARN first, then make your own decision, but please work on your own bike unless you are just not mechanically inclined and are afraid to do it. You will be happy.

Back