Protocal For Group Riding

Thinker62

Donating Member
Registered
Since I will soon be riding with some decent size groups going to and at Laguna, I would like to learn some common hand signals.

Need Gas - Point to or tap tank.
Your Trun Signal is on - Hand opening and closing rapidly
Police spotted - ?
Slow down - ?
Pull over for a pow wow - ?
Hungry/want to eat - ?
Left or right turn ahead - ?
Etc.

Hope this makes sense
Police signal......
When ever the group I ride with spots a police cruiser we simply point at our own eyes (using the index and middle finger) to signal "I see something". Then take your hand and point straight up while rotating your hand............. Like the old police car "Cherry" lights. (using your pointing finger to make small circles).

Police spotted - ? tap the top of helmet
Slow down - ? wave hands low in a down-ward motion
Pull over for a pow wow - ? circle hand over head for a round up
Hungry/want to eat - ? rub belly
Left or right turn ahead - ? point direction of wich direction you going

my .02

Its pretty darn hard to put in words the things we do without any thougt everyday...............

These are good, very good! What else am I missing? Gimmie more.

I have used the pat the top of the head for police. I like the circling finger, but too obvious to Officer Friendly himself.

I really need a good "Pull Over and Talk" signal. Saturday, I wanted to talk to Havoc before he headed home, but couldn't get his atention...so off he went.

Object in road ahead - point/kick down with heel on whcih side it's located.  Let's others behind know which side to avoid a splattered squirrel or whatever.

Attention - from behind, flash high beams off/on several time.  From front, tap brakes very fast numerous times or wave one or two arms like a maniac

Slowing - tap brakes quickly several times

Pull over to talk - thumb to the right, then make "Chatter teeth" with hand, you know, 4 fingers over thumb going up and down YAP YAP YAP

Most guys I ride with annouce their exit at a previous stop, then just head out with a beep beep wave.

Stopping - signal slow down [hand down] then grip fist up in the air.  You know, like Navy Seals in movies

Come around & lead or pass me - keep to right of lane and wave them past with left hand.  Doesn't really matter which side of lane I guess but GENERALLY always pass on left.

Stay back I need to warm my tires swerving - palm facing BACK, and pushing back.  Not to be confused with slow down plam pushing down

Hey Hottie, sign your number! - eye contact, thumb and pinky finger to head

I'm a squid with rich yet stoopid parents who ignored raising me with any sort of dicipline of social conduct or manners - leave helmet under table at home, stand on bike and swat butt, ride ignoring all previous signals and ignoring other riders' needs or spacing in the group

Thats good looking out thinker but we should brief before every ride and after every stop follow the group leader, and sweeper leaves no one.Everyone should have everyone elese's cell# on the ride, if we have chatter boxes the leader and sweeper should have them to communicate.In NYC we rotate our positions so the first bikes that come to an intersection block traffic bothways until the posse clears.3 to the left and three to the right In front of both lanes bike pass throuh center It assures everyone makes it through a light and continues as a group.Food for thought

Thats good looking out thinker but we should brief before every ride and after every stop follow the group leader, and sweeper leaves no one.Everyone should have everyone elese's cell# on the ride, if we have chatter boxes the leader and sweeper should have them to communicate.In NYC we rotate our positions so the first bikes that come to an intersection block traffic bothways until the posse clears.3 to the left and three to the right In front of both lanes bike pass throuh center It assures everyone makes it through a light and continues as a group.Food for thought
Even with detailed briefings, there are just things you need to communicate. Saturday, I wanted to ask Havoc if he wanted to stop at my house to pick up his tape and tried to signal him, but must have looked like an idiot.

Then I wanted to tell Cache that he had a long strap hanging out from having his bike strapped down. I tried to point, and he pointed back at me and took off. We were almost at our destination, so no big deal.

1. Pull over to talk - thumb to the right, then make "Chatter teeth" with hand, you know, 4 fingers over thumb going up and down YAP YAP YAP.
2. Stay back I need to warm my tires swerving - palm facing BACK, and pushing back.  Not to be confused with slow down plam pushing down.
[/QUOTE]
I really like these. The thumb thing and talking signal should work great.

nooobs!

patting the top of your helmit is for five-0, others follow suit to the end of the line.

raising your left hand as you would making a hand signal to turn right only with with your hand flat, signals riders to slow speed,(just like on the track). others follow suit(OFS)

to signal a right, point index finger straight up to distinguish the diff between "slow"(hand flat) and a "right turn". others follow suit(OFS)

signal left, extend left hand straight out. OFS

stop of course, is the norm, hand flat and opposite of slow. OFS

when passing slower vehicles, the leader should indicate by show of fingers how many vehicles can be safely passed following riders should follow suit to riders behind them. if a surprise vehicle appears, push palm up and down towards pavement to ward them off the pass.

for road hazards,(wet surface, gravel, etc.) point in general area with either finger or foot. OFS

for pedal bikes, move feet up and down in a pedaling motion. OFS (hehe)

for dogs and other small animals in roadway, I recommend a dessert eagle, drilled tip and a few extra grains of powder (helps break the animal into peices so your less likely to toss your ride if body parts end up in your path.

for larger game, I recommend a good honest prayer and perhaps a diaper. OFS

Very good so far. Greg can we make a list of those we plan to use to Laguna?
Here are some I use with riding buddies :

Cops : Either hand on top of helmet or pat top of helmet.

Lane change : When riding 2 in one lane, indicate 1/2 lane change with leg / foot ...

Group pass : Leader makes big swooping left arm gesture, with signal on

" Come up along side me " : With arm low to one side, small wave of fingers.

" Pass me " : Bigger wave than come along side...

Road Hazard : Point to ground in general direction of hazard.

I've noticed when riding in large groups that everyone needs to pay extra attention to bikes in front AND back of you. Ride in a staggered line not side by side on highways. When we get into the twisties give a little extra space in case you have to slow quickly around blind turns. If someone is close and wants to pass, let them. If you are passing, make sure you have enough room, be patient.

Pat top of helmet with left hand for cops.
Point at tank for gas./ a hint I picked up from LaBusas, when we stop for gas, EVERYBODY top off so we don't have to stop again
Point or use foot for hazards in the road.
The leader needs to use turn signals well ahead for lane change or direction changes.

A great topic if I do say so myself! And some great suggestions! Hawaii, everybody is used to doing their own thing, so I think we should focus on those universally accepted signals, such as pat the top of the helmet for John Law. Just for the fun of it, I may snap some pics of the signals that seem to be universal. Squids like me might appreciate it.

Point at tank for gas./ a hint I picked up from LaBusas, when we stop for gas, EVERYBODY top off so we don't have to stop again
[/QUOTE]

Man you got that right! It irritates the hell out of me. A few weeks ago, we went riding out in the sticks, kinda in Cache's neighborhood. Anyway, a friend of mine came along. And, just as we were all set to trek it back to Portland we stopped for gas. Those who needed it filled up, and those who didn't waited. It seemed like we were riding about 20 minutes when my idiot buddy pointed at his tank and went straight for the exit. Everyone else had already passed and I was the only one who saw him do it. But it was too late for me to exit, so I kept going and pulled over to wait. When he finally caught up, I was so irritated that I didn't even bring it up. When I asked him later, he said, "I thought I had enough to make it."  
confused.gif
 So I guess they were going to be giving out free gas the next day and he was holding out for it. WTF!

Anyway...great suggestion Big O. When you stop for gas, everyone should top off.

thinker
that was strange that he didnt fill up when we did, i didnt know what had happened, thought he had got tried
biggrin.gif
. but i hope you noticed we pulled over and waited on the side of the road, never leave your wingman side.
i forgot to tell you to pick some Motorala two way communicator with the ear bud, the press to talk not voice activated, to much wind noise. they worked great and our last venture down to Laguna Seca. plus a good way to keep in contact with the group while at the track.

thinker
that was strange that he didnt fill up when we did, i didnt know what had happened, thought he had got tried
biggrin.gif
. but i hope you noticed we pulled over and waited on the side of the road, never leave your wingman side.
i forgot to tell you to pick some Motorala two way communicator with the ear bud, the press to talk not voice activated, to much wind noise. they worked great and our last venture down to Laguna Seca. plus a good way to keep in contact with the group while at the track.
Do they work OK while riding? I was considering Chatter Box also.

Police spotted - ? tap the top of helmet
Slow down - ?  wave hands low in a down-ward motion
Pull over for a pow wow - ? circle hand over head for a round up
Hungry/want to eat - ? rub belly
Left or right turn ahead - ? point direction of wich direction you going

my .02
we do the same things here.........

except we use the left arm signals for the turns. (they are outlined in your local motorcyclists handbook) LOL.

Checkout this book: Motorcycle Sign Language by: Blane Kamp.

We have altered a couple of the signs and only memorized important ones...

-Lt. Ripley

Back