Proposed Helmet Law

Puck

Registered
Did you hear the latest story regarding not wearing helmets??  A proposal introduced in the New Mexico Legislature would allow the harvesting of organs from any motorcyclist who doesn't wear a helmet and who, as the result of an accident, is pronounced brain dead by a licensed physician shall become an organ donor regardless of whether the person made an anatomical gift by completing the organ donor statement.  If the bill becomes law, it would take effect on July 1st.

In the state of Texas you do not have to wear a helmet, I always wear my helmet.

Same here in Louisiana Puck. Funny that you should post this thread because I was watching our local news last night and there was a report on fatalities involving motorcyclists. They are at an all-time high here. I think that the next legislative session will involve returning to mandatory helmet wearing (law was changed in 1999 to allow non-use of a helmet). I don't think that the statistics shed any light on the fact that there are more riders now than ever before in Louisiana. A lot of what happens around my neck-of-the-woods is mostly inexperience. A lot of guys here, and I'm sure in a lot of places, are buying motorcycles just because of its popularity. It's a rising fad with youngsters who don't readily recognize that motorcycling is a serious sport. It's nothing like riding a bicycle or driving a car. If anything, legislators should make it mandatory to take some sort of class and training in order to even purchase a motorcycle. I could just imagine how much money the lobbyists pour into a politicians pocket in order to keep this type of thing from happening. Another aspect of this issue is that a motorcycle can be purchased without any purchase or proof of insurance. This issue should be treated almost the same as the purchase of a handgun. Just ranting. Should have probably run for political office. (hahahaha)

Brian

Dangerous legislation here! Some organ donor companies are lobbying states to change what is called "brain dead". How soon? Who makes the call? What about the rights of the family? Organ "Harvesting" is big business. Sounds like they're trying to find more ways to get donors.

Dangerous legislation here!  Some organ donor companies are lobbying states to change what is called "brain dead".  How soon?  Who makes the call?  What about the rights of the family?  Organ "Harvesting" is big business.  Sounds like they're trying to find more ways to get donors.
And why not? They have already started CLONING, so what else will they come up with? Kinda scary. Starting to sound like "The Invasion of the Body Snatchers." Taking little rights like this away is only the beginning.

Brian

Nice!!! Lets say my daughter needs a transplant (not of real by the way, just to make this statement) So ma and I jump in the car and go hunting bikers!!! Lets hit a few bikers with the car. Maybe we will get lucky and they will call when they have a match!!!
Dangerous legislation for sure!!! Organ "Harvesting" could become a big for sure...

scary thought Max... I'm gonna duct tape all my organs to my ribs...  .. bad joke

I definatly don't approve of the proposed law though. Even if I die of stupidity (not wearing a helmet constitutes stupidity to me) they are still my stuff so If I don't specifically decide to let other peeps have them I should get to keep them no matter what.

Here in Virginia I can't imagine them ever changing the helmet laws (hafta have them, and HAFTA burn headlamps)... but still a disturbing idea.

brain dead? if that's the case, then they'll be yanking the organs out of the harley owners before they even crash! HAHAHAHAHAH

Mike

Doh! I hate big brother legislation, hey Puck, are you based at Kirtland? Notice the C-130 avatar.

Doh!  I hate big brother legislation, hey Puck, are you based at Kirtland?  Notice the C-130 avatar.
I'm stationed at NAS Fort Worth, Texas ANG - C130 Flight Engineer...
eyes.gif

Boy Im going to have to warn my 3 brothers they are HD riders LOLbrain dead? if that's the case, then they'll be yanking the organs out of the harley owners before they even crash! HAHAHAHAHAH

[/QUOTE]

Just a note, helmet laws have always been directly linked to organ supply. When the supply is low, they remove or reduce helmet requirements.

This, however, brings some interesting issues. Organs are quite pricey. So, who is to say the doctors would let one conveniently die just to harvest the organs. Or, maybe a person was wearing a helmet and they just toss it to the side and say that the person was not wearing one.
rock.gif

A few snippets from the Oct '02 issue of Playboy (yes, I read the articles)

"By some definitions the leading cause of death among organ donors is the organ donation procedure itself."

"One hospital wanted to implement a new standard that would declare a person dead with a five or seven minute absence of a pulse,-live transpalnt docotrs said that's too long, let's make it two minutes, and that was that."

"The organ procurement organizations are afraind that if we have these discussions publicly it will slow down donations dramatically"

"more than two dozen sets of criteria for determining brain death are used nationwide."

Patients are being declared "Brain dead" and their organs are being harvested.

"96 percent (of brain dead patients) die,...which means four percent survive, that's four homocides out of 100, if a nurse at a hospital killed four patients, that would be headline news"

Just a note, helmet laws have always been directly linked to organ supply. When the supply is low, they remove or reduce helmet requirements.
Can you imagine?! First they say that you need to wear a helmet so you aren't declared brain dead and have to be put on expensive life support at the expense of the public, then when they need more organs, they say, It's ok, we'll keep you alive long enough to take your organs while they're fresh.

Ever see the movie "Coma"?

I for one like the freedom I enjoy in Maine getting to choose wether I wear a helmet or not (just got my girlfriend a matching one yesterday) If they start taking your organs whenver they decide who wants to go to the hospital. That legistlation should be stopped in its tracks. We pay for the road the police the legislature the government all of it we pay for and they keep putting the screws to the people. You can be damn sure it involves some of those crooked politicians getting richer by the second

What about a DONT TAKE MY FRIGGIN ORGAMS OUT CARD until you get my families permission to protect our right to live

My question or thought wis or would be....WHO GETS THE CASH FROM THE ORGAN?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?? I'll be waiting to see who sues the hospital first for not recieving the benefits from the organ while being suck with a $$$$ thousand bill they can't afford to pay.

rock.gif

rock.gif

They have to contact the families before they take anything. What would happen if they took a organ that was diseased or didn't function properly?

Back