proper throttle grip/engagement educate

tyrone

Registered
i feel like im the only one who does this. sometimes i ride with my index, middle, and thumb on the throttle and the rest of my hand is wrapped around the end cap. the only time my entire hand is on just the throttle itself is when im on the highway and such. whats proper throttle handling educate...or at least am i wrong for doing this.

? Have you taken the MSP course?

It really depends on you... I always like to be up against the inside of the grip, it's harder to slip off from there. The rest of the controls... high beams, horn, turn signals and such are right there then, throttle side is my throttle lock... Brakes and clutch as well. the knobby is off the end of my clutch and I like to use them both and know how much pressure I am using. the further out the greater the leverage on them you have...

Oh yeah :welcome:

i feel like im the only one who does this. sometimes i ride with my index, middle, and thumb on the throttle and the rest of my hand is wrapped around the end cap. the only time my entire hand is on just the throttle itself is when im on the highway and such. whats proper throttle handling educate...or at least am i wrong for doing this.

I ride like this, i feel i have better throttle control like this.

Ive tried riding the other way and felt im more comfortable this way.

Plus i have really big hands and reaching the controls is not a problem. with my hand around the end cap, i can still grab brake and reach the controls without a problem. but to each their own.

Last edited:
I always have at least one finger on brake. Gone are the days, when you had to form your
fingers into a hook and use your whole body to pull in the clutch.

Typically, I will position my hands like this when they cramp or to sort of stretch them out... the farther out on the grip your hand is, the easier it is to push without realizing it... something to watch for... but if you can reach the controls and lever then go with what is comfortable...

the msp? nope. i assume thats a drivers course. i would definitely take one if it helps my riding skills. I came to this conclusion of faulty throttle handling because id like to start drag racing soon and also learn how to wheelie it. i know thats its all in throttle control...but i might be stifling myself due to hand positioning. thanks for the response, and welcome too!

I'm gonna say you're safer riding with your entire hand on the grip, but it's an individual thing.

I hold my hand like that when cornering. It puts no stress on my wrist and allows me to more easily get my body in a better position if I lean off.

Hmm. I keep 2 fingers on my brake and same for the clutch. I guess that might be from riding dirt bikes. My hand are never that far out on the grips.

I do that when I'm out on the long rides like interstate, around town, I usually keep my whole hand on the throttle......

Back