Proper Burnout Technique

det45

Registered
Soon I will be replacing my tires so I want to do a video of me smoking my tire prior to replacing it. Any suggestions on the proper way to do a burnout? :laugh:

On a GEN II you dont need to go mad. Front brake hard on, bum off the seat, twist throttle to about 3K and let clutch out. Have fun.

Find/make a pool of water, go around it and back into it taking care to keep the front wheel dry. As stated above hold front brake, stand up, let the clutch out. Come all the way off the clutch as soon as you can, don't wanna fry it, but keep it covered. Add throttle according to to taste! If it starts to get away from you, pull clutch in and chop the throttle, but DO NOT release the brake!

l_960181e896024447a1741ae52587a210.jpg

cover the cluth incase it gets away from you though since it sounds like this will be your 1st time

Very wise advice... If for any reason the back tire gets traction or the rider lets off that front brake just a little you will have a real bad day, to say the least...

send plane ticket to "GixerHP"

:rofl:

:whistle:

but dont do this.. *LANGUAGE WARNING...

Last edited by a moderator:
What about putting the front tire up against a solid wall while holding the front brake?

What about putting the front tire up against a solid wall while holding the front brake?

I'm not sure you would be able to put the front tire on a wall without removing the front fender. I know I can't put the bike in the back of my truck without a piece of wood or something to keep the front fender from hitting the front of the bed. :beerchug:

Guys I am not getting the link or the picture for this thread. Anyone know why? Something is wrong with my computer all of a sudden. I used to get everything just a few weeks ago. HELP!!!!!

That tip on going around the water and backing up is not only use for the front tire, but by doing this you only need to get a little bit of the back tire in the box...this will keep water from slinging up to the undertail etc...so when you get to the line it will not be dripping on the top of the tire...causing you to blow the tire loose at 1/2 revolution. Not a rule...but kinda logical...even with some cars. Others do a burnout past the starting line to lay down a hot / fresh patch...that they will travel down after the tree comes down.

Take the time to talk with the startes + staging lane guys...they will help you out with lane choice + side of a given lane. Have some fun and burn it up...then you'll have a reason for a new tire.

They way i like to do it is be rolling about 10 mph lean up on tank clutch it and PIN it and keep it pinned until you hit the limiter in first and then just kinda back off the throttle a little bit until you are tapped out it first, and as long as you stay on the tank up you can go ahead and bump second, and just make sure if it gets a little sideways keep it PINNED it will come out of it. :laugh:
Probably want to wait until you have done a couple to try this one, but it is by far the most fun of them all, nothing like leaving a 75 to 100 yard blacky. Just be careful :thumbsup:

if your nervous about it, try placing the front tire on a parking space block for support. that should plant the front for extra security. my bud claims dish soap smokes up like a champ for extra affects but i have never tried it myself. go easy and post up that video when your done. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure you would be able to put the front tire on a wall without removing the front fender. I know I can't put the bike in the back of my truck without a piece of wood or something to keep the front fender from hitting the front of the bed. :beerchug:

Why couldn't you use that piece of wood against a wall?

Let me toss in my two pennys worth on how to get started on burnouts.

Dry pavement! Lock the front wheel, you won't need a block to hold the tire. The brake works just fine. Stand up so your weight is off the bike. Keep your feet in fairly close so there is not much room for side to side movement of the bike between your thighs. While holding the brake with one or two fingers, grasp the throttle with the remaining two and crank up the rpm to 2500-3000 and let the clutch out gently until you feel the rear of the bike begin to raise. At this point gently let the clutch out until the tire breaks loose and begins to spin. Once the tire is spinning be sure you let the clutch out all the way. Keep one or two fingers over the clutch.

Now, the trick is to keep the tire spinning without killing the engine keeping in mind the slower the tire spins the more controlable it is. You will certainly kill the engine a few times while getting a handle on how to reach this point without stalling the engine.

Once you have reached an acceptable spin on the rear tire, slowly release a little pressure on the brake lever until the bike begins to move forward. Now, walk the bike forward using your thighs to keep the rear tire in alignment with the front. Now your brake lever controls the speed of the bike so you can walk it ahead as slowly or as fast as you like.

Once you have done this a few times, sit on the seat once the bike is moving continuing to control the speed with the brake and walking with your feet. Soon you will be able to begin picking your feet up and placing them on the foot pegs. Once your feet are up the front wheel is in total control of balance, speed and direction. When you sit on the seat keep your family tree snuggly against the tank and lean your upper body forward.

Remember, the slower the spin the slower things happen equaling better control. It will take some practice and you will kill the engine many times but practice will make burnouts safe and entertaining both for you and your admirers!

If you are serious about mastering this entertaining aspect of your motorcycle, go to your dealer and pick through his discarded tires for practice. Burnouts become very expensive if you don't have a supply of used tires! :beerchug:

Back