Proof, removing the ECU restrictions equals no peformance gain!

OK hate to burst some your bubble here that think removing the ECU restrictions on the GENII your bike makes more power, unless you have proof with a dyno.
I have a GENII basically stock with a BMC street air filter and a 4-2-1 Akrapovic exhaust. Bike has around 26,000 miles on it.

The first picture of times slips was last year on 09/07/2012 running consistent 7.32's in the 1/8 dragstrip
Over the winter I had my ECU flashed to remove the restrictions 1st-4th and the top limiter. I mostly done this so I can exceed speeds of 186 mph hoping to make the 200 MPH club which only resulted 197 thats another posts,, anyways, I was in fear that doing this would unleash my bike and turn it in a monster to control LOL!! Reading some post ohh man my bike feels so much stronger now that I had the restrictions moved BLAH BLAH BLAH its IN YOUR HEAD! Just as when you were a kid and cut the muffler off your mini bike thinking it was faster cause its louder.. WRONG!!

So from the passes at the dragstrip on 09/07/12 and last night on 04/09/12 the ONLY changes to the bike were running it after the restrictions were removed. Same track same everything just comparing the ET's before and after...

Yes 7.30's on a GENII in the 1/8 mile.. Its a SWB, Stock Height launching in C mode and swithing to A mode during the 1-2 shift. 6.70's keeping it in A mode..

So if your thinking Wow performance increase with an ECU derestricted,, WRONG! But you can go faster then 186 mph :cheerleader:

Time Slips.jpg

Time Slips 2013.jpg

Actually not totally suprised with your results, if I recall correctly the factory timing retard in 1st-4th is only in the lower rpms below 5000RPM. when you go 100% throttle like at a dragstrip there is no difference in the timing retard. But saying that when riding around town in the lower rpm and throttle positions you would notice a small difference. Someone would have to confirm as I have never flashed an ECU just remember reading it in another discussion.

well why would it gain anything when your just removing the ECU restrictions...i did mine and and by itself and the only thing i noticed that i was able to break 186..

Removing the restriction doesn't add power but tuning the ecu thru ecu editor makes that available power more smoother and useable. Most folks also add exhaust or other mods when flashing the ecu and this is where the power gain comes from.

Also, leaving in "C" mode probably negates anything that would have been gained by the derestriction.

Timing retard is 1-4 gears.
I am only in C mode for 1st gear as stated. No gains or performance increase..
I realize all of this I am just adding proof to those that sell TRE's or removing the timing retard in the first 4 gears increases performance. It doesn't do a damn thing to increase the power or speed.

The slight timing changes in 2 and 3rd are all you are talking about. I think when we people "de-restrict" one they are talking about opening up the stp's as well. IMO that is where you really feel the difference. Like someone else said, in C (aka painfully slow) mode I doubt you would ever see anything, it doesn't hardly have enough power to get out of its own way.

The bike IS more aggressive at lower rpm's, but I'm not surprised that there is no overall gain in peak hp or timeslips.
Your stp's are also set to stock. They can be set to open faster and set to allow more fuel in(not the a/f map itself, that is unchanged).:beerchug:

Removing the restriction doesn't add power but tuning the ecu thru ecu editor makes that available power more smoother and useable. Most folks also add exhaust or other mods when flashing the ecu and this is where the power gain comes from.

Didn't you gain 3hp when got your ecu ed dyno tune?
Because you'de really notice that power!:laugh:

How can you compare "performance" gains without taking away the "human factor?"

How do we know it wasn't 20 degrees cooler or less humid last fall? How do we know you personally aren't slower than last year?

How do we know it wasn't 20 degrees cooler or less humid last fall? How do we know you personally aren't slower than last year?

I agree. There are too many uncontrollable variables. Before and after Dyno testing on the same day in an controlled environment would be the best way to prove or disprove performance gains.

I also agree that removing restrictions are only the first step in ECU editing. It is just opening the door for better tuning.

I agree with you about the TRE/restriction but your testing isn't even close to being accurate or proven. :poke:

1) Starting in C-mode limits the secondary throttle blade % and VOIDS any gains you may or may not of even received regardless.
2) You need to do some testing on a dyno for back to back comparison without any human error/factors.
3) You are running a full system exhaust with NO TUNE? ???
4) Anyone running 7.30 or even 6.70's on a STOCK Gen-II BUSA (let alone modded) has a lot more to worry about than a TRE/restriction. :rofl:

But feel free to continue your theory.... :laugh:

You are obviously ignorant towards drag racing and obviously weather conditions and horespower which will leave me to save my energy to even comment towards your comment.

I agree with you about the TRE/restriction but your testing isn't even close to being accurate or proven. :poke:

1) Starting in C-mode limits the secondary throttle blade % and VOIDS any gains you may or may not of even received regardless.
2) You need to do some testing on a dyno for back to back comparison without any human error/factors.
3) You are running a full system exhaust with NO TUNE? ???
4) Anyone running 7.30 or even 6.70's on a STOCK Gen-II BUSA (let alone modded) has a lot more to worry about than a TRE/restriction. :rofl:

But feel free to continue your theory.... :laugh:

I will make this bet with you

We will bracket race on a .500 NHRA track LED or Incodecent bulbs I dont care. 1/8 or 1/4 which ever you prefer.
Here is the bet.

Dial in bracket style/

10 runs at $1500.00 a run

Best out of 10 is paid all traveling fees with receipts you let me know if you want to travel or I will come to your track..

Bring your friends and put em at the finish line to watch me pump your azz on the big end as I embarass you with my 7.30 slow busa bracket bike.:beerchug:

two things dont lie with performance mods

Dyno and track times. Back it up with before and after dynos with a witness I also have and you can talk all ya want and make your statement until then keep hitting the pipe thinking a TRE or removing the timing retard will improve performance. :beerchug:

Well at least you're being cool about it. (Insert most sarcastic smilie found)

:rolleyes:

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Back