Project update- transformation of my 2004

juissed

Registered
I picked up the near stock bike about 2 months back. After putting 70 miles on it, the performance was disappointing. (I was used to a 200+ rwhp sprayed R1)

The oil drain plug had an improperly installed helicoil, so it would leak. I bought a new pan, but since it required me to drop the header, I figured I might as well go turbo at the same time. (Anything to justify the project, right?)

While waiting on miscellaneous parts from a not-so-honest vendor, I pretty much redid the entire bike.

Here's the new setup:

Boost:
Velocity Stage 1 Turbo / Header assembly
K&N RU3560 Filter
8AN oil dump
3AN oil feed
Aluminum Upper plenum w/BOV
Dump pipe
Cometic Header gaskets + new OEM header gaskets (doubled up)
ARP header studs

Fuel System:
Billet Fuel Rail
Bosch 044 + Billet mount
Aeqoquip socketless 6AN hose
Every hose using push-loc AN fittings
Begi 2025 RRFPR
Russel Billet Fuel Filter 230106
Stock injectors were cleaned, overhauled, tested, and flowed by MPS

Safety/Tune:
Dynojet Wideband2/Autotune
Dynojet Powercommander PCV - using for fuel control
Dynojet Powercommander PC3R - only using for timing control
Dynojet LCD 200
GM 3 Bar MAP
ECUEditor flash (for limiter change, shifter, etc)
AEM Water Injection System
AEM water injection filter
Aluminum water injection tank
Auto Meter Ultra-Lite Boost Gauge
Auto Meter Ultra-Lite Fuel Pressure Gauge
Extra radiator fan from K5 gsxr1k
Engine Ice
New oil pan
Oil Pan Gasket
Clutch Gasket
APE Heavy Duty Clutch Springs
Billet Low Profile crankcase breather
Billet Slave Cylinder support
OEM Steels & Plates

Suspension:
Trac Dynamics 4-8" over arm with air tank (came polished, had it powdered flat black)
Adjustable rear lowering links
Front lowering "risers"
Front strap
17 tooth front sprocket
42 tooth rear sprocket
SpeedoDRD speedometer adjuster w/recall
EK ZVX2 Chain 530 140 Link
Galfer black stainless rear brake line
Galfer black stainless front brake lines (on backorder)
MPS Air compressor
MPS air shifter
190 Dunlop Q3 rear tire (street)
Shinko Stealth Ultra Soft (race)

Misc:
Pro-tek Black CNC rearsets
ASV short black levers
Black double bubble windscreen
Black CNC grab bar
Smoked front turn signals

etc.

Some pics:

When I picked it up:
y5DGs3X.jpg

Tjg5Mxa.jpg

97QHqu2.jpg

In progress:
5GXbwhl.jpg

mhUMNcn.jpg

gR2fE17.jpg

KNFE17f.jpg

yKFBBNC.jpg

LBBk8Ji.jpg

And then as it sits now.

SJdpiPT.jpg

6AwlmH9.jpg

5wjgtuW.jpg

v80jT57.jpg

XNyJmf6.jpg

EZcy2Av.jpg

N8w12ME.jpg

I have a few more loose ends to tie up before it goes to Sarasota for a tune. (Such as waiting for the new decals to replace the crooked left side install... :laugh:)

I want to give a huge thank you to Frank @ Power House for all of the help with my build. The parts I bought from him arrived fast and he went above and beyond with advice and guidance on the project- Even though I only spent a few hundred $$ with him.

same body work- had it sprayed at a shop. The purple and black was a repaint of near OE design, so it wasn't worth saving & buying different.

Looks great! :thumbsup:

What do you have planned for it? 1/4? 1-Mile? Street?

Looking forward to your dyno results... :beerchug:

Had it tuned yesterday @ Exoticycle. Johnny Turbo is the man!

He went over the bike to make sure everything was right since it was a self install (and of course found a few things that needed correction) He also setup my high beam-high boost solenoid.

Pump gas low boost- 6psi, 240rwhp 130rwtq
C16 "high boost" (~8-10psi) 260rwhp, 160rwtq

Water injection dropped 5 rwhp on high boost- but dropped 15ft lbs of torque! (255/145rwtq)

Anyone else see that much torque loss with water injection?

Had it tuned yesterday @ Exoticycle. Johnny Turbo is the man!

He went over the bike to make sure everything was right since it was a self install (and of course found a few things that needed correction) He also setup my high beam-high boost solenoid.

Pump gas low boost- 6psi, 240rwhp 130rwtq
C16 "high boost" (~8-10psi) 260rwhp, 160rwtq

Water injection dropped 5 rwhp on high boost- but dropped 15ft lbs of torque! (255/145rwtq)

Anyone else see that much torque loss with water injection?

First thing I notice is the fmu shouldn't be attached to the throttle bodies as it needs to see boost, and only boost.

Next with water injection why did you run c16? Pump gas with water injection is PLENTY safe. You'll actually see higher hp readings with the 93 octane. Hell even 110 octane is too much for anything under 14psi.

As far as the power loss, that's simple. Water puts out fire. That's it. Really what you need to be running is boost juice, or equivalent. That is actually methanol and will actually lower your combustion temps, and won't kill your power.

Forgot to mention, pulling 2* @ 80% and 4* timing at 100%

This will also lower your power. There's no reason to pull that much timing out. Your boost is very low. Again with water injection full timing is just fine. As long as your afr in in check, you'll have no issues. 11.5-11.8 you'll be golden for years to come.

Having the check valve in the signal hose to the fmu prevents it from seeing vacuum, so he is fine.:laugh:

Thanks for the feedback!

The vac routing was changed from the pics above before tuning. I drilled & tapped the plenum to add a boost only source for the FMU. The 4 throttle bodies feed the stock MAP, then the 2 throttle bodies are feeding BOV, GM 3 Bar MAP (for logging with LCD+PCV), Gauge, Water Injection, etc.

The water injection was a safety item since I wanted longevity while I build my next motor. I was advised that I'd be fine running just the C16, so we did some test pulls to compare the power loss from the C16 vs C16 + water. I'm unsure whether I'll run just C16 on high boost.. C16/93 mix, C16/93 mix + water, or just 93+water. Some data logged highway pulls are in order. :)

Back