Project Busa

Sky Rider

Registered
Alright, so I finally got around to tearing my Busa apart due to an overheating problem. (I ended up finding the head gasket was blown and sucking air into the coolant). While I'm in there I figured I'd do a couple modifications to give her a little more umph. I'm installing CP 12.5:1 compression pistons, New Web Cam Intake cam with stock intake on the exhaust, and porting the head. I wanted to document this project so I figured I'd share it while I'm at it.

20130504_203928.jpg

Removing the engine was pretty straight forward and simple. The hardest part was cutting a couple of sockets to use on the thrust adjusters.

20130525_205103.jpg

Tear-down went fairly well too. I was extremely relived when I found the cause of my overheating. While I have the engine torn apart I honed the cylinders and installed new CP pistons. I have to admit getting those things in was a huge PITA. Getting the first ring and second ring in went very easy but then when I got to the oil rings the damn siderails kept getting stuck inside the bevel. After exercising my patience to their limit and a precision screwdriver later...

20130526_085049.jpg

They're in! They look so nice I almost feel guilty about using them. (not really) Now comes the fun part. Cleaning the head and porting it while waiting on my cams to come in from APE.

20130526_091214.jpg

Man she is dirty. Time to break out the heavy duty stuff and a wire brush...

More to come as I progress. Hopefully my camshafts will be in sometime this week.

You're making it look easy, thats dangerous for us idiots :lol:

How many miles did she have, easy riding or ? Just wondering why you think the gasket let go.

Is it a good idea to clean the cumbustion chambers with a wire brush.??? Just wondering because you already blew one head gasket,aren't you risking scratching the heck outa the gasket mating surfaces? If yer gonna dump all that dough into it,wouldn't it be better to have a machine shop true the head,just in case,and have the valves done at the same time,check the guides,maybe some new springs too.

Also wondered why the rings were such a hassle,no ring compressor?

Enquiring minds want to know...:laugh:

Good luck with the build. :thumbsup:

RSD.

Is it a good idea to clean the cumbustion chambers with a wire brush.??? Just wondering because you already blew one head gasket,aren't you risking scratching the heck outa the gasket mating surfaces? If yer gonna dump all that dough into it,wouldn't it be better to have a machine shop true the head,just in case,and have the valves done at the same time,check the guides,maybe some new springs too.

Also wondered why the rings were such a hassle,no ring compressor?

Enquiring minds want to know...:laugh:

Good luck with the build. :thumbsup:

RSD.

I have a CNC in the basement. I've always been one to do my own head work just for a sense of accomplishment and turn around times at machine shops around here are outrageous right now. I use a brass brush and a heavy solvent to clean the heads before I check for any warping. In this case the head was .003 out of true in one section so it should be ok for reuse. (Suzuki recommends anything over .008 need machined so I'm well within.) The rings were such a hassle because once they were inside the bore the lower siderail was getting stuck at the very top of the deep bevel before going into the light grade bevel making a ring compressor useless. I had to use a precision straight screw driver to help them in. (ring end gap in bore was between .018 and .016 so size wasn't the problem.) I'm also replacing all springs and valves while I'm in there and will shim the tappets as necessary once the new cams come in.

The bike had 30,000 miles on her and A LOT of near red line riding with an increased limiter range which probably has something to due with the failure. The first time I noticed it was sucking air was after a run at the local strip where I mis-shifted and hit the limiter (oops).

Also if anyone wants the stock camshafts let me know.

The intake lobe height is still 1.456 and exhaust 1.377.

I have a CNC in the basement. I've always been one to do my own head work just for a sense of accomplishment and turn around times at machine shops around here are outrageous right now. I use a brass brush and a heavy solvent to clean the heads before I check for any warping. In this case the head was .003 out of true in one section so it should be ok for reuse. (Suzuki recommends anything over .008 need machined so I'm well within.) The rings were such a hassle because once they were inside the bore the lower siderail was getting stuck at the very top of the deep bevel before going into the light grade bevel making a ring compressor useless. I had to use a precision straight screw driver to help them in. (ring end gap in bore was between .018 and .016 so size wasn't the problem.) I'm also replacing all springs and valves while I'm in there and will shim the tappets as necessary once the new cams come in.

The bike had 30,000 miles on her and A LOT of near red line riding with an increased limiter range which probably has something to due with the failure. The first time I noticed it was sucking air was after a run at the local strip where I mis-shifted and hit the limiter (oops).

Also if anyone wants the stock camshafts let me know.

The intake lobe height is still 1.456 and exhaust 1.377.

You've got it covered.:thumbsup: Just want to save some noobie from himself before it was to late. :laugh: Obvious you know the drill.

RSD.

Hey guys. Haven't been here to update in a while been too busy playing.

I got the head back and the cams in (huge thank you to Jay at APE for putting up with me!!!:laugh: ) and was able to finish my build. I have since gone through the break in and as of recently decided to finally open her up after 1500Miles all I have to say is... WOW!!!! I took a quick sec to glance down at ~9k RPM in 6th and the speedo needle was pinned against the stop. What that translates to in actual speed and when it reached the stop I have no clue lol will have to take a GPS next time I get the chance to do that. I didn't get any pictures of the cams being installed because I was too busy fighting with getting the timing perfect. I doubt this will be the last time I have one of these apart though so there is always next time.

Huge thank you to all whom helped me when I needed it. :thumbsup: Now back to lurking in the background for a few years because I'm too shy to post a lot. :whistle:

Engine in... but something missing.

20130705_002930.jpg

500 miles later I decide to dress her up

20130705_032745.jpg

And she's just as beautiful today as ever.

Thank you ORG!,

Sky Rider

Back