Problem Stalling

ODFU-BUSA

Registered
Here is the deal.. 2002 busa 5k miles on her. when comming to a stop for ex a stop light. Clutch in.. comming to the finnal role before the brakes are pulled hard. She sometimes stalls.. I cant really seem to figure it out. I have is Akro Slip on's and a KN filter.

no pc3 no tre and no full system.. Any idea what the problem could be??

You could be very lean with those mods. The K&N breaths a lot easier and so does the Akra pipes. But the ECU only uses temp, RPM, Atmospheric pressure and Throttle position to calculate the squirt of fuel from the injectors. It is calibrated to allow for a given restriction of air flow through the engine. When you change that, the whole thing needs to be recalibrated. Power Commanders and such are one soultion.

Beware that running lean can cause detonation, piston damage and burnt exhaust valves if run hard. Get it fixed soon.

You might also check your Throttle Position Sensor adjustment. Mine is way off and I am getting bad gas mileage after changing to the Akrapovic race pipe. My power is probably not optimum either. I have not installed my BMC race filter yet to avoid the lean condition.

what is your idle set at. You might need to adjust it higher. I was having the same problem and just adjusted it back up to 11k. Problem solved

I had that problem this morning... I have a PC3r and a yosh pipe on an 02. I just noticed the bike would even stall sometimes on downshifting on the freeway if Id punch through more than one gear at a time...noticed the bike was only idling at about 800-900 rpms. adjusted that on the throttle stop screw and the bike was fine all day riding today.

Cool, after checking out the website for over a year, ive finally registered and already im able to post some experience with something!!  I know you posted it quite some time ago and hopefully by now youve remedied the problem, but for future questions:

It sounds like your idle position needs adjustment.  Had the same problem myself about a month after i bought my 02 in july last year, exactly the symptoms you have.  Fixed under warranty.  No biggie.  Service mgr said it was actually quite common.  wish it would have appeared BEFORE the break-in period service , but they only had a 2 day turnaround.

You could be very lean with those mods. The K&N breaths a lot easier and so does the Akra pipes. But the ECU only uses temp, RPM, Atmospheric pressure and Throttle position to calculate the squirt of fuel from the injectors. It is calibrated to allow for a given restriction of air flow through the engine. When you change that, the whole thing needs to be recalibrated. Power Commanders and such are one soultion.

Beware that running lean can cause detonation, piston damage and burnt exhaust valves if run hard. Get it fixed soon.

You might also check your Throttle Position Sensor adjustment. Mine is way off and I am getting bad gas mileage after changing to the Akrapovic race pipe. My power is probably not optimum either. I have not installed my BMC race filter yet to avoid the lean condition.
If you've got the factory service manual, it tells you how to calibrate the throttle position sensor (section 4, page 30).

You'll need the SST "mode select switch" from the dealer, but it's easy to do.

For the guys with the stalling, a PC3r and the right idle speed should cure it no problem.

Johncal

Ok !!..I have the same problem, now here's my history " Do u have pen and paper ready ?!" Been down once!..used insurance to fix & trick out. 1st happened after I got it back from the shop, thier solution PC,fuel pump and filters, plus heat wrap, did it "NoGo", just got it back from anothor shop that maped it, another tune up, and cleanned K&N filter. I have a D&D exhaust, which im wondering about. It feels like its not getting the right compression to me, and another told me I shouldnt, nor does D&D make a performance pipe for the bike. So im doing research as I write this, to see if he indeed gave me the wrong pipe for the bike, thus creating all this problem i'm having, besides the time and money I lost because of his mistake!:mad:  If anyone can shed some light on this, before I jump on my mechanic, Please do...Sincerely.P'd off 2 the highest point of P tivity !..

Back