Pro Street Build

ColdBusa

Take this Jerry, you silly little rodent
Donating Member
Registered
Hey Everyone,

I've been posting here and there about what I've been up to with my build, but figured I'd post a thread detailing what I did this year, why I chose what I did and the struggles, yes the struggles, of doing a pro street build on your own in a remote community.

I posted a thread a few years ago that I'll post the link to later where I converted my stock 2010 busa to a Super Street Class based Hayabusa. In that setup I installed a stage 1 RCC Street kit, fully built the engine to be pro street ready with wossner internals and an R&D transmission.

Fast forward, I've been doing pro street for 2 years with a hybrid setup on a stock chassis for one year and a cut rail for the second year, still running my stage 1 kit and an AMS 2000. I managed to run 7.82s in the quarter and did spin up top doing it. I know there was a bit more in it, but winter came and it was time to upgrade. I decided to go all in. At this point there's no turning back with what is being cut, modded, etc.

For the build list this winter, engine #1 was to come out and get new bearings, trans inspection, and a head check. Engine #2 was all ready to go to be installed into the frame. But there was a few things to do first.
Forks were sent to DME for a pro Street cut.
The cross member on the frame needed to be cut out.
Non needed tabs were cut off and ground down.
Once that was done engine #2 was installed in the frame.
Now the fun go fast stuff;
I built an RCC Ultra kit with RCC Turbos. I did upgrade a few things on it as well. I went with V band clamp on the compressor outlet and a wiggins clamp at the plenum, extended billet wheel on the compressor. I'm not running the air to water exchanger. Richard and Scott did an amazing job on this system and couldn't be happier about it.
I opted to go with a Fuel Tech FT550 for my ECU. I went with the spark pro 4, and the O2 nano as well. For wiring I went with the un-terminated harness to have a nice clean install and do what I wanted with it.
Adjustable cams as I was running stock timing before.
DME built me a front rack with an ice box to go in the nose.
DME offset triple trees and vortex clamps.

All top notch parts, and everything is quite amazing, however, I've run into so many hurdles that honestly it is starting to not be a fun build anymore. Here's what went wrong:
Engine #1 the counter balancer shaft was seized in the case and I could not remove it. I had to get it torched out. This led to me deciding to have the rotating assembly balanced. This delay cost me over a month of build time. When rebuilding the engine, I damaged and oil ring when sliding the jugs over the pistons and I didnt have any spares. Another 1 to 2 week delay.
The vortex clamps work great, except the gen 2 reservoirs for the brake and clutch don't fit, so now I have to order different masters for both brake and clutch. Yet to be completed.
For the front tire, I have a 16" rim on there, but the tire I had was too high of a profile, so when I went to install the rim, it didnt fit, so I had to order a low profile tire for the cbr rim I'm using.
The oem front fender wont fit and either has to be hacked up to fit, or an aftermarket 16" rim specific fender needs to be ordered (yet to decide on this one, but may go with Montgomery carbon for it).
Brake lines need to be shortened now on the front as they are way way too long. Still need to be done.
Ran into a fitment issue with the front rack and headlight (yet to be resolved).

As you can see, the list is long of things still to do, and problems that I've run into. One thing is I'm on my own where I live in a smaller community, so I can't just run down to a local parts store for an fittings and hoses, or aluminum welding. Things like that really delays what I try to do. Though on a good note, I do have support of other prostreet racers helping me out and pushing me along, which if I didnt have them, I would struggled quite hard.

I'm glad I'm taking this on myself and this post isn't to discourage anyone from converting their bike into a pro Street bike? But it is just to make people aware of what you will run into doing it. Getting into the pro Street world, nothing is just a bolt on and go part, things will need modifications to make it work and you have to be very creative with it, also abiding by the rule book.

Here's some photos of hmwhat I've been up to.

20191012_142913.jpg

20191012_174053.jpg

20191013_140359.jpg

Last edited:
I can understand the pain of living,working in Cold Lake.Friends and fam have moved to Alberta...Cal,Edmon,Fort McM,etc.But they always return. I was born in Cow Town but dont remember the place,I'm told thats a good thing.Live in Vic B.C. with no intention of living elsewhere in Can. I can ride here 365.

Yer build looks awesome. Easy to understand your frustrations with easy access to parts etc. Here on the island I am pretty much on my own as well.No easy access to a Dyno,a tuner,or anybody that even remotely knows how to repair my ride.Most shops show zero interest in working on it. I know bikes, but have never had a turbo so everything is a learning curve.I have yet to hit the strip with it,that plan went up in smoke with a funds shortage and the closest 1/4 mile being shut down due to covid. I have a Richard built RCC Turbo Ultra 550 set up.Really flies but needs a tune and overhaul of the fuel system.Good luck with yer build,I'm sure it will turn out perfect.You have the drive to do so as demonstrated by yer thread.You can check my ride out here Rubb's Ride if interested. Long way to go to be able to keep up with you,but I think I have a good base to start from.
Go get 'em bro... :race:
Rubb.

Bike is looking badass! Love the setup and looking forward to hear about you tuning it with the FT550. Don't sweat the build, you'll get through it and learn some more in the long run.

Awesome work! Thanks for sharing
HI Cold Busa. I do not know if you are following my thread [my very slow build] I do know what you are going through. I had JE Pistons make me custom 10 to 1's also C P Corrello made me custom rods for 1000HP and 13500RPM over run to 14200RPM I work with DME they are great to work with. I an using DME's inconel turbo header and pipe. Who did the head? I am using the Maxx ECU DME said they are the best I work with a lot of people that make custom one off parts. I f you want to call at 508-496-5680 I am on the east coast of the USA.. Who will tune it? Where do you plan to race it? I am running LSR so I can do more to the motor, no rules.

HI Cold Busa. I do not know if you are following my thread [my very slow build] I do know what you are going through. I had JE Pistons make me custom 10 to 1's also C P Corrello made me custom rods for 1000HP and 13500RPM over run to 14200RPM I work with DME they are great to work with. I an using DME's inconel turbo header and pipe. Who did the head? I am using the Maxx ECU DME said they are the best I work with a lot of people that make custom one off parts. I f you want to call at 508-496-5680 I am on the east coast of the USA.. Who will tune it? Where do you plan to race it? I am running LSR so I can do more to the motor, no rules.
I built the head. It was more of a refresher for this one. I will be doing the tuning with the help of a couple other racers as well. I'm racing in Canada and the plan was to race in the states with XDA as well this year, but we will see how that pans out.

This is where I am after 1 1/2 year's. Bought rolling chassis just to find out last week the swing arm isnt working with the frame. Hopefully resolve this week. Its been that long just to get to the chain and sprocket but still excited me to see it. I stopped worrying and said just get it moving on it own. I can change anything else later that I'm not happy with. Like the stock motor and stock cry and harness.

0506201941a_HDR.jpg

0506201940.jpg

Another snag I ran into today. I took the bike off the stands and loaded it with weight and myself to measure the height off the ground. Well, it's illegal by 1/2". It's 2.5" off the ground at the front of the oil pan. I have to be 3". Which means I now have to convert a brand new DME 1" pan to a wedge pan. Anyone looking for a new oil pan???
The oil drain from the turbo is also too low. It's 2.75" from the ground. This one is not too big of a deal as I will just install a low profile 90 fitting to make it work.

Another snag I ran into today. I took the bike off the stands and loaded it with weight and myself to measure the height off the ground. Well, it's illegal by 1/2". It's 2.5" off the ground at the front of the oil pan. I have to be 3". Which means I now have to convert a brand new DME 1" pan to a wedge pan. Anyone looking for a new oil pan???
The oil drain from the turbo is also too low. It's 2.75" from the ground. This one is not too big of a deal as I will just install a low profile 90 fitting to make it work.
Hi. I did not see one on there sight, but they made them in the past. Talk to them see what they can do for you. Also Brutal Performance makes one 734-762-2077.

How goes it today Bro...things working out,coming along?
Rubb.
Got my front rack issue figured out. Headlight needed to be modified a little bit more to get the correct fitment. So that is a huge load off my plate of things to figure out. Solutioned my clearance issue. Put the vortex clamps under the tree and was able to slide down the forks down up to 2.5". So I potentially dont need a new oil pan. However, it is kind of going against what I'm trying to achieve with having the front end as low as possible. So I'm probably still going to change the pan out. Just not rushed to do it for my first race, whenever that happens...

Got my front rack issue figured out. Headlight needed to be modified a little bit more to get the correct fitment. So that is a huge load off my plate of things to figure out. Solutioned my clearance issue. Put the vortex clamps under the tree and was able to slide down the forks down up to 2.5". So I potentially dont need a new oil pan. However, it is kind of going against what I'm trying to achieve with having the front end as low as possible. So I'm probably still going to change the pan out. Just not rushed to do it for my first race, whenever that happens...
You already sent your fork tubes out to get chopped down didn't you?
Is that not lowered enuff,or do you want more?
Sounds like you knocked off a couple things on the list,that's cool.
Well,head down, nose to the grindstone bro.
Rubb.

Back