Primitive hunting

Projekt

Registered
Does anyone have experience with primitive (non-firearm) hunting?

I want to get into this and I have yearned for it ever since reading the SAS Survival Handbook (first edition) at the age of 18 while in the Air Force.

This, while being in SATX, led to an awareness of the notorious havalina ferrel boars that roam the chapparral and hill country in South Texas. There is a polynesian technique for tracking and killing wild boar by exploiting your dogs and letting them distract the beast as you sneak around from behind, snatch up the hind legs wheelbarrow style which causes a freezing reflex and then you quickly lay it over and stab through the heart-lung-diaphragm to dispatch of the animal. It ain't exactly Kosher/Halal but would sure keep me on the edge and test my manhood further.

Man.. Just writing that has me rarin' to go on the hunt.

Sounds like an interesting diversion from any normal modern style of hunting

You betcha and so exciting because it would involve a ton of cardio and brute force. This is clan group hunting where everybody fans out jogging through the forest/jungle to flush out prey toward the other side of the group which has quietly infiltrated the opposite side of the area and effectively flanked the prey in a pincer movement. If 6 to 10 men manage to get one full size boar out of an all day hunt, that will feed the village or settlement very well for a long time.

Yep, sounds like the way real men do it...lol, We had a customer that jumped out of trees to spear boars in Hawaii. I saw "dual survivor" use a "funnel snare" and a knife. sux to be a boar I guess...:laugh:

Why use the dogs at all?? Just you and the beast...true test of manhood :whistle:

I thought we were gonna be talking about bow hunting. Uhh, don't know if I would jump a boar but I'd take one out from a tree. Have fun!

Grow some Koohunas!

A bowie knife and a loin cloth!

You don't need no help from your clan to dispatch some smelly ole 400 lb russian wild bore hog with six inch razor sharp tusk. Show your woman you are a real man and drag that puppy back to your cave gutted and ready for her to butcher! :thumbsup:

Grow some Koohunas!

You don't need no help from your clan to dispatch some smelly ole 400 lb russian wild bore hog with six inch razor sharp tusk. Show your woman you are a real man and drag that puppy back to your cave gutted and ready for her to butcher! :thumbsup:

here hold my beer and watch this:rofl:

Why use the dogs at all?? Just you and the beast...true test of manhood :whistle:

The true test of manhood is being able to walk back home unaided and un-maimed so that you can go out the next day and keep providing for your family, clan and tribe. :poke:

Grow some Koohunas!

See my reply to VABusa

I know they do boar hunting down south. I forget where I read about it but they have these hunting trips where you can fly down for a weekend and hunt boars with spears and pigstickers. Looks awesome!!!:thumbsup: Some of the guys who are really into it hunted them with Pitbulls. They equipped the doggy kevlar flack jackets so they wouldnt get gored. Seemed pretty hard core hunting down a boar with just a buck knife, that seen from the movie Predator when Bill Duke killed that pig in the dark came to mind :laugh:

I could just imagine myself hunting a Wild Boar with just a knife.

I have enough trouble with super glue.:laugh:

I could just imagine myself hunting a Wild Boar with just a knife.

I have enough trouble with super glue.:laugh:

Perhaps consider hunting with super glue then...they don't stand a chance, OR, you'll be glued to a super-predator...hrmmm, make sure to take video! :laugh:

I always wanted to do this. I was planning on going with a friend that use to hunt with couple of pitbulls and a knife passed on to him from his grandfather. Unfortunately he died in a car accident a few months ago. so, I never had the chance to go. I did get a lot of meat from him. He took a week vacation once and him, his brother and friend killed 37 wild hogs :-o !!!!!!!!

I was invited to go on a wild boar hunt in east tn a few years ago Dog/Knife hunting style with a one armed with a gun incase things got bad.
I will say this, Its exciting!!!
Video taken from the hunt. When the American Bulldogs are released things happen fast.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a guy on the outdoor channel do a hunt like this once, can't recall his name, but he's a lil out there. Just as you said, ran up on a hog and stabbed it,,pretty wild stuff. Enjoy!

After the Video above Check out he next one from Rocking R ranch. When I lived in Fla this is how they did it. Wild hogs are a HUGE problem there. They are becoming a HUGE problem everywhere. I worked with e fellow who hunted like this like EVERY weekend. To me the amazing part is the dogs used. They are trained to grab that pig by the ears and hold it down and wait for the humans to come finish it off.

For some reason taking them and hog tying them and keeping them alive until they settle down somehow allows for the meat to taste better. I don't know how he killed them eventually but he always brought them out alive. That is sometimes 500 lbs of pissed off pig that he takes the time to get out alive.

He had a pig roast once a year for everyone from work. He would cook like 3 pigs on a slow roast for like 3 days beforehand. His wife was Thai. Man she made Thai dishes and he served up that pig and for a few hours you are in eating heaven. Thewn you had so much you didn't want to eat for 3 days.

Also in Fla. they now are using weekend Reserve Units and taking them up in Helicopters with 50 cals and killing as many as they can track down in the chopper.

Back