Prime Minister snubbed by Obama?

99'busa

Donating Member
Registered
Typically on these first politcal meetings there are nice gifts exchanged, joint press conference with media from around the world, and the First Ladies have an organized social event.

The Prime Minister's gift to Obama was a well thought out gift. It was a hand-carved wood pen holder made out of the timbers of HMS Gannet, which was launched in 1878. It's the same timbers used to make the desk in the Oval Office.

Obama's gift to the Prime Minister was some movies that you can get off of Amazon.

Oh, and the first Ladies didn't do anything.

Downing Street is looking to avoid potential humiliation after the White House scaled down the profile of Gordon Brown's first formal meeting with Barack Obama.
While the Prime Minister is expected to hold nearly two hours of talks with the US president, the White House has categorically ruled out a traditional joint press conference before the White House media. After overnight protests from British diplomats, the White House agreed to allow journalists into the Oval Office later for a brief round of questions after the talks.
Gordon Brown's officials have played down the significance of the decision and deny the Prime Minister is being snubbed. However, the move will distinctly lessen the prestige of the PM's coup of becoming the first European leader invited to Washington for talks with Obama since his inauguration in January.
That Obama will find time to meet with the Boy Scouts of America later this afternoon is sure to add to the embarrassment.
The trip is in marked contrast to the hospitality lavished on Tony Blair by George Bush when they met for the first time.

Here's where I'm confused.
Is he trying to distance us from the UK?
Their meeting was to discuss a plan for the world economy. Does Obama already has a plan and doesn't want Gordon to have anything to do with it?

Last edited:
you know they removed a bust of Winston Churchill also.. it was a gift to GW and the Obama staff packed it up and shipped it off to the Embassy without so much as a phone call to anyone...

you know they removed a bust of Winston Churchill also.. it was a gift to GW and the Obama staff packed it up and shipped it off to the Embassy without so much as a phone call to anyone...

Yep. But wasnt gonna mention it.

If he dont like it then thats fine. But given how the PM was treated yesterday I cant help but think it had more of another reason.

Yep. But wasnt gonna mention it.

If he dont like it then thats fine. But given how the PM was treated yesterday I cant help but think it had more of another reason.

Come on guys stop with the Fox News style of reporting things and tell the whole story:

A White House spokesperson says the Churchill bust was removed before Obama's inauguration as part of the usual changeover operations, adding that every president puts his own stamp on the Oval Office.

Come on guys stop with the Fox News style of reporting things and tell the whole story:

A White House spokesperson says the Churchill bust was removed before Obama's inauguration as part of the usual changeover operations, adding that every president puts his own stamp on the Oval Office.

Well thats not totally true. But your sentiment is why I didnt mention it. It WAS removed by orders of Obama. The PM had told the admin. that they could still use it for another 4 yrs. but was declined and replaced.

Some movies huh , gee those are real nice hope he at least got the special edtion sets of American Dad !

you need to add the "Published in Newsweek" to your post... or is your choice of wording pure coincidence... :rofl:

The White House Replaces Churchill Bust | Newsweek Periscope | Newsweek.com

Or maybe you should post a link to this story as to "why" Obama might have bad feelings for the Brits?

The Political Carnival: Ugly Churchill Bust + President Obama = WingNut Frenzy

I am sure the second article is grossly inaccurate and untrue as it could shed a negative light on the Messiah..

I think Obama just stole the stapler off of my desk. I swear it was here earlier....

Yea..

milton.jpg

I really hate defending Obama because I cant stand him but come on people. Really? Do you really think that he had anything to do with picking what gift to give? This kinda bad media crap is what made Bush look like a bad President. He wasn't but the media tells us he was. Obama has the potential to be a great President but it will never happen, thanks to the media.

I really hate defending Obama because I cant stand him but come on people. Really? Do you really think that he had anything to do with picking what gift to give? This kinda bad media crap is what made Bush look like a bad President. He wasn't but the media tells us he was. Obama has the potential to be a great President but it will never happen, thanks to the media.

Wow Sam, impressive post. True dat, as they say. I've backed Obama since the start but right now I'm afraid he's trying to do too much too soon. The economy is so unstable, I think caution should be added to his agenda. The gift thing is a joke and just another attack on someone that really has good intentions, and in my opinion, great ideas (just slow them down please!). GM being in the news today tanked the stock market yet again. I'll bet someone somewhere is blaming Obama.

In re: "This kinda bad media crap is what made Bush look like a bad President. He wasn't but the media tells us he was."

That's right, Bush wasn't a bad president, the media only portrayed him as a bad president...his decisions were simply top notch, with no regrets.

Let me just say this...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

You think he had nothing to do with what gift he was gonna give? I think it would have been a better gift if someone else was in charge of it. JMHO.

The media didnt create this "stimulous" bill
The media didnt send a secret letter to Russia saying we'll abandon our anti missle base in Poland giving you free rain to launch your own missles IF you help us with Iran.
The media isn't trying to take our guns away
The media isn't trying to take over the auto industry
The media isn't trying to run the banks
The media isn't trying to socialize medicine
The media isn't trying to be Robin Hood
The media isn't closing camp Gitmo
The media isn't taking charitable giving deduction away
The media isn't spending my grandkids money
The media isn't raising taxes
The media isn't trying to run and control the world
The media isn't trying to change the core structure that our country was built on.
The media does on the other hand know how well he wipes his butt. Too much of the media turns a blind eye to his plans and like alot of Americans just bobs their heads and let's him do whatever he wants. AND IF THEY DON'T he will have Emanuel launch a campaign against you.

But you are right on one thing. He DOES have the ability to be a great president. He has excellent people skills and speech corisma. It's just too bad he's trying to tear the country apart and make in his own image.

In re: "This kinda bad media crap is what made Bush look like a bad President. He wasn't but the media tells us he was."

That's right, Bush wasn't a bad president, the media only portrayed him as a bad president...his decisions were simply top notch, with no regrets.

Let me just say this...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

nope he didnt have great ideas. but they were a LITTLE better than this:banghead:

you need to add the "Published in Newsweek" to your post... or is your choice of wording pure coincidence... :rofl:

Or maybe you should post a link to this story as to "why" Obama might have bad feelings for the Brits?

I am sure the second article is grossly inaccurate and untrue as it could shed a negative light on the Messiah..

B you are dead on and I should have provided my source. It happened to be Huffington Post <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/02/22/obama-returns-churchill-b_n_168919.html> who paraphrased the Newsweek article.

Give me a break, the Newsweek article mentions the same speculation but the Political Carnival is editoral not news. You can always find something critical if that is what you are looking for.

99 I provided my source, sorry for not doing it up front, if something about it is untrue as you stated please direct me to what you are refereing to.

Back