Pressurized gas tank...

Spike

Donating Member
Registered
Ok it is getting MIGHTY cold around these parts.  It got down to 32 degrees F this morning.  What I notice is that when I ride to work, about 20 miles, the bike heats up.  Now when I finally get to work or get home it is nice and toasty as the 'Busa should be.  The problem is that after sitting for about 5 minutes I hear a high pitched whistle coming from the garage.  I have to go out and pop the top on the gas tank to let the pressure out.  A lot of pressure.  Is this normal?  Should it be vented?

Thanks,
Spike

Your tank IS vented. If not, when you used the fuel the inside pressure would deform the tank and the fuel would NOT flow. I would check the tank breather hose (page 4-51 in service manual) and see if its kinked. You also might need to check the fuel pressure and if it's high (normal 43 psi) check:
1) Clogged or pinched fuel return hose
2) Fuel pump check valve
3) Pressure regulator
4)Check and tighten fuel pressure check bolt to 7 lb-ft (manual page 4-52)

But it really sounds (no pun intended) like a kinked hose somewhere.

Well
wink.gif
since it's winter that's a good start cause you've got plenty of time. Hope you find it  
beerchug.gif

Right side of bike below oil fill plug held on by clamp. One hose is the drain and the other the vent.

mabey she's trying to get your attention of why you stopped playing with her

Normal,  mine does the same thing going from shade to sun, been doing it since I bought the bike, it's coming from the gas cap.  Means you got a tightly sealed tank.  Don't keep letting the pressure out and don't worry about it!
When you hear it, you know it's doing it's job and thats a good thing!

Well since I had no time to do it last night I dropped into the local dealership to have them take a look. I described the behavior and they stated they have heard that from a few people and that in this area where the temperature is so diverse that this is not uncommon.

I asked about the above items that all of you mentioned: hoses, fuel pressure, etc. and they said that if I like they would take a look at those things. They checked it all out in about 1.5 hours and everything checked out. I guess it is normal for around here! Thanks everyone!

Well either it is normal or Chrisjp was right, she wasn't done with me playing with her;) (har-har, good one)

Thanks guys, you rock.

(chrisjp @ Nov. 30 2006,02:25) mabey she's trying to get your attention of why you stopped playing with her
kinking his hose is a little off the chain man.
laugh.gif

Back