Preping for paint?

V8N3T

More mods plz..
Donating Member
Registered
Hey all, I was just reading threw the board and have been asking some friends some questions about prepping my bike for paint. I have not got the same response from everyone so I figured I would ask here.

I have my left panel sitting here and wanted to get it sanded down and ready to primer. I have read the painting in a nutshell thread and it didn't say what I was looking for in there. I have a stock Left fairing Blue/Silver with the decal on it. And I am wanting to know what to get for sand paper to sand it down really well and fine to get it ready to primer. Thanks y'all!

why are you wanting to primer the whole faring ?
if it has no big scratchs in it you would not need to do that, just sand down with 320 wet and dry paper
to primer it you will need a primer made for plastic.
the decal you can put a blowdryer on it heat it up and peel it off. then take some acetone or similar product and get the glue off.

I think its important to remove ALL wax / oil residue before doing anything to the panel. Get some wax remover at your paint store and wipe it down a couple times. If ya don't - when you sand the plastic you're forcing the wax and or oil residue into the "pores" of the plastic surface. This will cause "fish eyes" like crazy when u try to paint. Oh and always wear gloves! Oil from yer finger tips will contaminate the surface, too!
Good luck. I'm getting ready to paint the left side fairing on the wifes gixxer 6.

see here: I'm going to fill the very deep scratches with Epoxy, then sand again.

DSC00610.JPG

++ as said above. Clean it really good, inside and out to get rid of oil's and debris. Then remove the decals. Now wet sand it to remove and remaining residue. pay attention to edges.

Use a filler primer like feather fill from du pount .sand clean and prime and sand again remember the paint job can only be as good as the prep so take your time.I just had to do mine last month.

Back