PPR Titanium Valves . . . Increase Flow!!

Correct me if I am wrong but this flow test seems to fix the valve in place. Are there tests that actuate the valve? Otherwise how would one in the lab reproduce a benefit in duration talked about above?

no it isn't... but u gut guys here that treat anything titanium like KING TUTS GOLDEN UNDIES
You asked for it . . . .
King_Tut_Pop_Art_Classic_Thong_300x300.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong but this flow test seems to fix the valve in place. Are there tests that actuate the valve? Otherwise how would one in the lab reproduce a benefit in duration talked about above?
Mmmmmm . . . .
the duration is the amount of time the valve is open, so this test is measuring flow over time = duration.

you may be on to it right there sixpack re the increased speed of movement due to less mass and consequently slightly longer duration.

Mmmmmm . . . .
the duration is the amount of time the valve is open, so this test is measuring flow over time = duration.

I think you may have missed the point. The test has a fixed duration. The issue is testing that a titanium valve by its mere mass savings creates a different duration or allows for it.

My thinking (correct me) is that a a fixed valve on a bench does not reflect real-life duration. In an engine valves do not open instantaneously but open on a curve according to a cam profile, none of which is reflected here. Thus I think the flow advantage in this test video only reflects differences caused by the shape of the two valves being tested. Also also a cam would have to be specifically cut to take advantage of a valve with less mass, with an increase in slant/profile. Lastly, a test of a titanium valve's mass benefit would have to be done from measuring engine output.

True? False? Outright fraudulent?

Kiwi; The aftermarket TI valves are thinner (thanks to the stronger material) and therefore effective opening is more like 30thou lift instead of the normally measured 50 so the effective duration of the cam is greater.
Thats my story and I'm sticking to it! :p

I'm trying to wrap my tired brain around that.
If the valve is thinner(I agree with the, it can be thinner because stronger part), the thinner would be between the valve face, and the surface that contacts the seat, yes? And, if so, the distance from the valve seat surface to the tip of the stem would remain the same
I think you may have missed the point. The test has a fixed duration. The issue is testing that a titanium valve by its mere mass savings creates a different duration or allows for it.

My thinking (correct me) is that a a fixed valve on a bench does not reflect real-life duration. In an engine valves do not open instantaneously but open on a curve according to a cam profile, none of which is reflected here. Thus I think the flow advantage in this test video only reflects differences caused by the shape of the two valves being tested. Also also a cam would have to be specifically cut to take advantage of a valve with less mass, with an increase in slant/profile. Lastly, a test of a titanium valve's mass benefit would have to be done from measuring engine output.

True? False? Outright fraudulent?

I think it's the shape, thinner from stronger material as was said. So the top side of the valve face is not as tall, allowing more flow where there had previously been valve material.
At least that's what I gather from it all now.

It could be the shape of the valve head itself or where the seat is located on the valve.
As an aside I have a buddy the runs a green bike, boooo, that has stock Gen I Hayabusa valves in it because they flow better. I guess the green valves are shaped more like a nail then the Busa. Don't know never held them side by side.

I'm trying to wrap my tired brain around that.
If the valve is thinner(I agree with the, it can be thinner because stronger part), the thinner would be between the valve face, and the surface that contacts the seat, yes? And, if so, the distance from the valve seat surface to the tip of the stem would remain the same

I think it's the shape, thinner from stronger material as was said. So the top side of the valve face is not as tall, allowing more flow where there had previously been valve material.
At least that's what I gather from it all now.
Exactly on your last line, an inch and a half door opened two inches will have a 1/2 inch gap (lift) and a thinner one inch door with the same two inch opening would have a full one inch opening effectively giving more duration. (the gap started as soon as the inch passed)

the test was done on different cylinders, stock was done on cyl 2 ppr on cyl 3. flow numbers at a lower lift would be interesting to see. the stem could be reduced diameter from the guide to the valve head. a local engine builder who has flowed lots of heads said a ballpark rule of thumb is 1/2 the cfm in hp. so that would be 4 hp a cyl x4 =16 hp gain. modern head design may be greater. thats significant. id like to see low lift numbers, and a more consistent test.

the test was done on different cylinders, stock was done on cyl 2 ppr on cyl 3. flow numbers at a lower lift would be interesting to see. the stem could be reduced diameter from the guide to the valve head. a local engine builder who has flowed lots of heads said a ballpark rule of thumb is 1/2 the cfm in hp. so that would be 4 hp a cyl x4 =16 hp gain. modern head design may be greater. thats significant. id like to see low lift numbers, and a more consistent test.
no way.. and I gotta figure if they had HP numbers that good... we would see back to back dyno runs and not a useless flow bench result.

This has really taken off, I thought when I started this thread it would fizzle out with little interest .. . . . . NOT SO!
Very cool, amazing how much engineering knowledge you lot have to offer . . . very very cool. :bowdown:

I guess I was trying to be somewhat sarcastic, if they had that kinda improvement, we’d all be buying. My brain doesn’t think so good lately.
nothing wrong with ure brain... I just don't like it when a company tries to do things like that.,.. be kinda deceitful

nothing wrong with ure brain... I just don't like it when a company tries to do things like that.,.. be kinda deceitful
I agree, back turned to the camera, can’t see the screen, just played with a cfm/hp calculator, gen2 11000rpm uses 258cfm at 100%ve. So maybe with modern 4 valve head and good port 108%ve or 278cfm. That’s all 4 cylinders. One cylinder 70cfm. MPS racing big lift cam is .460. Then .445,.425 etc. Flow at.5 inch is useless. I have a rough day ahead and my brain is already sore, and not from this, this is a temporary diversion.

Back