Power Loss With Fat Tire

Does anyone have factual information on the actual power loss from a 300 series? Maybe dyno numbers with the engine unchanged? Was curious.

10 -15 rwhp easily from what I have seen over the years. Outside drive is more efficient, it is the jack shaft setups that see the greater losses . . .

I used to have a HD Nightrod and it had a 240 rear tire. The previous versions of the model had a 180 or 200 tire. Now the tires changed but the engines etc. remained exactly the same. I remember reading on that forum guys who upgraded to my model with the 240 tire reported roughly a 10 HP loss on the Dyno compared to their previous model with the 180 rear. So I can imagine a greater loss using a 300 tire. This isn't gospel and I don't have the sheets to back it up only what I read on the 1130 forum threads a while ago.

I was reading on another forum I think that choppers are nearly unrideable so the builders don't care about performance or safety. Thats all good, but I think a lot of guys making those mods think they are improving more than the looks! How many fat tire bikes have 40-50k on them ( miles). It's amazing some of the justifications you get. I will respect the fat tire guy who says "I like the way it looks and looks are a big part of my riding experience"
I think people see stuff, its inspected it must be safe. I know so many people who saw "Wild Hogs", ran out and bought a HD only to discover it takes a bit of skill to manage a 800# bike safely. Then the bike sits in the garage until they sell it.

Now back to the point! A fat tire might only eat 10-20 hp but its got to kill torque numbers? Having all that weight spinning would have to take more muscle to speed up right? If not then why go to CF wheels for lightness?

My buddies fat tire busa is always in the shop, or sitting in the garage. Pay all that money not to ride a bike.
All that money to ride around the block doing rolling burn outs. Lol

I'm biased but also don't have any room to argue. I've put about 10k on my +6 240 swing arm/tire with +2 sprocket on rear. My rear wheel is a stock widened wheel. 7k of those miles were put on in the past 10 months and I've had the bike for 6yrs! After selling the Gen1 and getting Gen2 ended up having surgery for cervical fusion c4/c5 & c5/c6 plus it wasn't convenient to ride the bike at the old house. In the new house I built a 2000sqft shop and makes it very easy to pull the bike out and ride! Nothing wears funny, got same mileage out of the chain sprocket. Chain was squeaking due to lack of maintenance on my part but sprocket looked fine, 4 months or so ago I put a new chain/sprocket (stock size this time) and back on the road.

While the +2 sprocket was a little more fun, especially in the rain, I now do mostly 70-80 mph riding so went back to stock to keep RPMs down. In hindsight the RPMs didn't drop down as much as I hoped. Next chain/sprocket change I'll probably go +1.

With a 240 you definitely know you're spinning more weight. I don't drag race and I don't really act up too much on the bike so for what it is, the 240 suits me perfectly. I do kind of regret not going with a 300, but I REALLY wanted to keep my GSXR1K pipe.

Here's to at least another 7k in the next 10 months, hot or cold!

Back